We need to encourage requeuing for the 2nd game

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TinfoilHatTheory, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Let me explain: I beat a rank 50ish SL player. He's scared of my deck. So he just stops playing for the next hour. That's bad for the game.

He loses 26 elo to me. And only gains 10ish elo for a win. He needs to be confident his deck has a 66% winrate vs mine. Otherwise it's -ev to queue up and play me again.
    Thus the downward spiral of 1 less high elo queuing
    --> Long wait time
    --> I end up matched to a newbie
    --> I smash a newbie's faces in for 5 elo
    --> Newbie get discouraged and leaves Poxnora.

I think both players should get elo-lost-protection for the 2nd game. And half the elo for a win. This way it encourages people to requeue.
    Thus the upward spiral of more players queueing
    --> Less wait time
    --> Better matchmaking
    --> Newbies get a chance to incubate/experience Poxnora without getting stomped by a high elo player.

I know the elo system is gona get messed up for the first iteration. I think it's worth the risk. Right now high elo players are just avoiding eachother and farming newbs for 5 elo. Very unhealthy for the game.

2. chris0024

chris0024 I need me some PIE!

*grabs popcorn

This is going to be good :eek::p:D

xaznsoulx likes this.
  3. free20play

free20play I need me some PIE!

if we had enough players then this wouldn't be a big deal.
    since everyone would be facing so many different types of cheese nobody would even bother trying to get counters so nobody could complain or be scared as the likilhood of facing the same cheese would decrease immensely.
    the problem atm is if you feel like playing a certain bg(for fun) and there are just two other players you know you'll have a 99% chance of facing and their decks just ruin yours then there is no point to playing.
    its really just a frustrating feature of pox.
    as for newbies vsing pros thats another big issue we have.
    and again if we had more players none of this would matter.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  4. Axeraiser

Axeraiser I need me some PIE!

I could see not losing elo to a person more than once a day being a good solution

nepyonisdead likes this.
  5. MikeLin

MikeLin I need me some PIE!

This guy plays a super champ cheese bg(the worst one I seen in years), and has the gall to come on the forums to trash talk aron and frogo. Nobody in high elo(except me) wants to play vs cheese @Axeraiser.

Your just a hypocrite that plays a cheese bg because you can't play a real bg and ultimately destroying the game by playing it versus noobs. Remember our game?!? I beat your cheese bg with a UD cheap bg that only had 1 exo rare champion. Heck, I will even be happy to give you a rematch with a real SL bg

6. Axeraiser

Axeraiser I need me some PIE!

Doesnt mean his point is not valid. Its basically just trying to come up with ideas to avoid rank dodging and give people an incentive to play against the odds. How many times have you seen people rank dodge against TinyDragon etc ? If there was less of a risk to your exp after the first game it would encourage people to play vrs people who are better than them, and ultimately that is the only way to get better as a play. Is to play against people better than them. I agree that cheese and gimmick BGs are bullshit, which is another reason why the match filter should be brought back so people can avoid playing these split cheese BGs.

Varthas likes this.
  7. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle The King of Potatoes

leave it to a trump supporter to immediately come in with hostility towards someone who wasn't in the slightest being hostile towards anyone. He brings up a valid point that when there's not a lot of people queueing you can face the same guy multiple times and that might lead to somebody just not queuing. Whether that reason being a player who will lose a ton of rating to somebody whos either a smurf/lower rated than they should be, or if somebody is playing a direct counter to the deck you want to play and you don't want to deal with it.

8. MikeLin

Honestly, I love cheese bgs because they break out of the constant meta crap we see in higher elo while still being able to win games. However, unlike this guy, I actually REALIZE that nobody wants to play vs cheese.

I don't mind losing/playing people like tiny IFF they are higher elo then me. This is due to the fact that u lose 5 elo when u lose, and if you win, u get like 30. Even if you play a series vs them, u might come out positive in elo if u manage to win one game. The kicker is when your playing vs high elo alts or people like @devilsrath that are low elo for the majority of the expansion.

9. potatonuts

potatonuts I need me some PIE!

I'm not sure if this is could be the solution but I like your thinking, it can be really disheartening to grind up 5lp one game at a time and then lose the fruits of your grind because of one unfortunate game.

Though like people have already pointed out a lot of these issues simply stem from the low pop.

10. MikeLin

I don't get why I try to argue with noobs like this. I haven't taken English in awhile but damn son, this quote sounds awfully like:" Some high elo SL player lost against my cheese bg and he dodged for the next hour" HOW IS THAT NOT TRASH TALK?!?

Ask any, and I mean any high elo VETERAN player. When the f was the last time u seen battlefiends ran in a bg that wasn't cheese? NEVER

This trash stacks his battlefiend to +20 damage with 9 speed in SP/UD. And boosts it with inspire, battle harden, and other buff spells and say it's not super champ cheese. Yah right, a cyclops bg runs the swarm moga just so this guy can consume with battlefiend along with cheap other 45~ Nora champs just to consume. LITERALLY, this guy's entire bg revovles around stacking his super champ. Like sers gtfo and ask @xaznsoulx @Axeraiser @nepyonisdead

Honestly, I don't disagree with what this guy is saying, I just don't like the hipocracy and the way this guy gave the background story.

xaznsoulx likes this.
  11. 1. Maybe I should have worded it more eloquently, for snowflakes like you. I already said, I would have done the same thing in his shoes. There's no way a rank 50 player has 66% winrate vs a 130ish player.

2. OK going by MikeLin's warped definition of cheese. It's super champ cheese. How's that different from Froggo's deck hasting dragons to 11 speed? Or NoraThat's deck buffing Brewmaster to the point it takes zero damage?

12. Ray Finkle

If it was trash talk he woulda named the guy. He's giving this information as an example of a situation that has direct relevance to the point he's bringing up. It sounds like you're actually just confirming everything he said. If his deck is so OP then maybe the guy really was too scared to queue back in against it. Secondly, I don't know if you guys have talked outside of this post but I'm not reading anywhere that he's claiming his deck isn't super champ cheese. Lastly I'm not seeing where you're getting "hypocrisy" from. When I read his post before you ever posted there was no point in which it seemed he was flaming anybody, claiming to be some godlike player, claiming his deck wasn't cheesy, or in general doing anything other than giving us information to illustrate his point.

Consider not bull rushing a post with hostility (especially one that never provoked it) it comes across as extremely immature.

13. MikeLin

Did you not read a single word I typed in my last post or in his? I didn't say any where his bg was op, I merely said its cheese, which he denied in a prior post deleted by a mod. I claim the guy is a hypocrite because he is playing a cheese bg and complaining that people dont reque against it when they have lost BECAUSE THE MAJORITY OF TOP TIER ELO DONT WANT TO VS CHEESE AND THE GUY IS DESTROYING THE GAME BY PLAYING THE SAID CHEESE VS POTENTIAL NEWBS COMING INTO THE GAME. And like I said in my previous post, the guy's entire first paragraph can be interpreted as being trashtalk i.e. basically saying "some high elo SL player lost against my cheese bg and he dodged for the next hour because I think he is a pu$ and scared of it."

14. Ray Finkle

I didn't really see it as complaining as much as it was bringing up a reasonable point which is: High elo players lose too many points compared to what they gain with the current rating disparity of high elo vs low/mid. I think you're focusing way too much on the actual irrelevant parts of his post. Maybe his deck is cheesy and maybe you can interpret his post as calling somebody scared, but does that really have anything to do with anything? I think it's entirely possible they need to revamp the win/loss amounts so that higher elo players arent losing like 5x as much as they gain against some players. Maybe we need to make a change to the max amount they can lose from a single game to something more reasonable like 15.

15. MikeLin

THANK YOU!

As I said before I agree with this guy on that DOG needs to encourage players to play more, however I don't agree with the methods this guy wants to do it where the solutions only fixes the problem on the surface.

@Sokolov @Gedden @Senshu I know you guys are tired of hearing this but I said this since DOG bought this game. WE NEED MORE PLAYERS. This fixes all the problems we currently have including what this guy just said. HOWEVER, to do that, we needed a good PS4 release(which was worser then steam release), a half decent client like the old client, playability, accessibility, pseudo game balanced, luxury of life items, debugging(very important) and etc. With a more competitive ranking pool of players, people will que more to stay up in ranked or their rank will decay. I love you @Sokolov and I know u know this: DOG needs more hands on pox. NO MORE MAKING OTHER GAMES. Literally why buy pox if DOG is not going to invest all its attention into it. @Sokolov u need people like a community manager, another game designer, and ultimately more developers to fix/put everything you want into action

xaznsoulx likes this.
  16. I don't know how to politely say this. You need to take the cool aid out of your mouth. This game isn't going to recover and get back to the glory days.

It's still fun to play if you can stomach the bugs/shortcomings. I'll be grateful if this game lasts another 4 years.

We need to work with what we got. Instead of delusional expectations. I wouldn't be surprised if the "coders" working on Pox is 1 dude who needs to juggle between 6 other games. This isn't League of Legends with 1.7 billion revenue. Hiring multiple people to make music videos for shts and giggles.

17. MikeLin

This game never had "glory days," I been here since elemental expansion and this game never had more then a couple hundred people on at the same time.

DOG and @Gedden does have money, they just dont spend enough on Pox. They are allocating resources to build other games and projects AFTER THEY BOUGHT POX instead of trying to save this game. DOG had multiple opportunities since they bought this game, like not botching the PS4 release but they didnt capitalize. And if all we do is fix problems on the surface, then this game might as well die right now. Its like fixing one disease on a person that has like 10 where fixing the one disease does nothing in the long run. Do some research before you criticize other people.

xaznsoulx likes this.
  18. xaznsoulx

xaznsoulx Supreme Dream Team 夢想 隊

@MikeLin hits the nail on the head. I'm glad you said it and not me, I would have lost my sht by now.

19. GoldTiger

GoldTiger I need me some PIE!

The thing with cheese is that imo it goes against the essence of "high skill" games such as pox. The entire point of playing this game for me is to challenge myself against other players who are better than me so I can improve blah blah blah.

This doesn't happen when playing vs cheese. You either win because you draw right or your opponent draws poorly or the opposite. Often very little of what you actually do on the board matters and its more just playing your hand as it comes and goes. Theres not a lot of "skill" in this and so for me personally there is literally no point in playing this game. For myself I may as well have been playing against bots; i.e. not playing. The fact that you could have made me lose 30 points doesn't matter at all. Beat me with my own BG and I'll 100% be sure to play you again and I'm almost certain most good players feel the same.

This may seem to be silly because isn't playing vs Tiny's OP BG the same thing? No because I personally feel like my decisions matter, I have the opportunity to outplay at a really high level and each individual choice matters, rather than me simply not drawing my answers fast enough to rush down the super champ/whatever cheese etc.

To me elo rating matters not one bit and I'm sure most people who are "good" at this game feel the same way in that their rank is entirely dependent on the BG theyre playing essentially. Losing to a lower elo player because I got outplayed and outdecked actually has no effect on whether I want to play again vs them. In fact its quite the opposite, playing vs someone new and fresh that I've never played against before is insanely fun. The difference come when the reason you lost is out of your control, as is the case with most super champ/cheese/etc. BGs. Theres simply no skill involved and so no point in playing a game such as poxnora. May as well play hearthstone where your BG match ups and draws matter more than the player's skill (I do enjoy HS too).

PS @xaznsoulx dope banner

Edit: Not to say youre a bad person or whatever for playing cheese just don't be surprised if I don't want to play vs your BG at all because I feel like I'm wasting my time.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    Tweek516 likes this.
  20. chris0024

chris0024 I need me some PIE!

Pretty much said the same thing a little while ago with the band aid fixes here and there. Not going to do it in my eyes in keeping the game alive smh

xaznsoulx likes this.