We need TV ads

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zero, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Oldmaster

Oldmaster I need me some PIE!

Meh. I disagree. There were a few whining comments about hurt feelings, from people who are generally pretty abrasive themselves. I enjoy "Burn and Friends" more than most, but we have it coming.
    It was quite a bit less inflammatory then the usual "boo DOG" posts. I do not believe for a second burn and baskit are actually offended. Regardless, Being offended on the Internet is a bit silly.
    I am upset that the whining has changed senshu's attitude, and ruined the fun we might have had.

2. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

I stopped having fun when I couldn't talk about stringing someone up with their own shoelaces while I wear a gag and ball for the lolz baklava

3. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

How about radio adds. lol

4. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

radio ad for poxnora sound bad unless iys targeting people within 12-20

5. OriginalG1

I am shooting in the dark with this question. Is the free to play system a temporary community "point of view"? (To encourage players to hang around in pox's down time.) I was just wondering because that is something we (the community) have wanted for a while, and DOG has taken runes accessibly really far. Making the bazaar tab was additionally awesome. I hope both those concepts stick around.

6. OriginalG1

You get a nice voice and he could make pox sound as epic as it is through the radio.

7. KPIC

KPIC Devotee of the Blood Owl

The funny thing about this thread @Senshu is that you spent more time on this one thread than you have on giving us a simple once a week update on the little things going on. It is really just laughable.

8. Senshu

Senshu Administrator Octopi

Not exactly sure what you mean by the first part.
    Radio adds would be even more expensive than banner website adds. Also, to reach the international audience that Pox draws radio would not work.

OriginalG1 likes this.
  9. Senshu

That is because a one week update would effectively be the same statement every week. The reason why we don't mention what we are currently working on until we do is because we don't want to give false impressions. Some of this stuff may be in the works for months off or on. Another reason is we could be working on a prototype idea that may never make it into the game because of compatibility issues or it causes more problems than it fixes.

Gaedel and Xirone like this.
  10. OriginalG1

Thank you for addressing my concerns. I do not know much about advertising. I am sure you figured that out.

To paraphrase the concern grasped from the previous highlighted blue text: Most of which can not be publicly discussed... reality of the business... It is far from ideal from all of your points of view...
    The thought creeped into my mind that the level of free-to-play we are seeing might just been a "hang in there ideal." That once the choirs are done and pox gets rolling, we might move away from the free-to-play.
    I called it a shot in the dark because I think it was way off topic from what you where talking about, but still. The thought creeped in, so I felt like asking about it.

11. Senshu

Ah, that is unlikely just because Pox was designed from the ground up as free to play, and the alternative of a subscription is even less appealing to most players based on past experiments with the game.

Xirone and OriginalG1 like this.
  12. OriginalG1

Cool!
    Appreciate the responses!

13. Xiape

Xiape I need me some PIE!

Feel free to ignore Pyro the Patient if necessary. Sometimes it's just hard not hearing anything so posting that you're still here and working is helpful.

14. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

That rune isnt me.

Also I get offended on the internet all the time. I have a list of grudges that I have to maintain.

15. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

I too have a blood wall

16. nitebane21

nitebane21 I need me some PIE!

To get and keep new players, they need to look at the feedback from new players. Hearing the same *****ing and moaning from people who have played for 7yrs is useless. These are all things that I've seen turn off numerous new players:
    Fix the tutorial so people don't get stuck. The 3rd one I think? You know what I'm talking about
    Offer faction starter packs. So many new players have started to get into the game, checked out all the factions, decided which one they wanna play and then go, "Oh. So there's no way for me to just get KF runes? I have to buy boxes of random runes and jump into the clusterf^%k that is trading? Meh, pass."
    Fix the ability.description.effect text. You're doing code cleanup? Great, start with that so it stops looking like this game is in beta testing. Add update or hotfix, make announcement, please everyone with progress.

For advertising, TV and radio are not it. It really needs to start with updating the website so that it makes the game appear enticing. The website is the packaging of the game and right now the packaging is basically a plain brown box with some nicely done Sharpie lettering as its only visual cues. This is the cheapest, best long-term way to get new players and until its done stuff like banners/PPC are just a waste of money.

The only other marketing that'd work now is grassroots outreach to gaming websites and writers. A front page review on Yahoo's home page would prolly bring in the same number of new players as 2 days on Steam's Top 10 list did. Problem is, this takes a lot of time and effort, and the DOG team prefers to spend that time on the technical aspects of the game right now. That's their prerogative. It's their game and their business and they can run it how they want. Maybe their plan will be a smashing success, maybe it won't but the non-stop armchair business consultants who seem to think the game would be an instant multi-million dollar success if DOG would only listen to them and do it their way is really starting to get old. Play it, don't play it, whatever but I think it's time to start accepting the game the way it is or realizing that maybe this game isn't really your cup of tea anymore.

Ozariig and Dagda like this.
  17. Authyrtyr

Authyrtyr The King of Potatoes

Keep up the good work @Senshu and other Owls. I believe in you guys and the work I can't see. Can't wait to see what it is.

Gaedel likes this.
  18. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Bro, haven't you heard? There's no more mod spots going out so you can drop the act.

19. Authyrtyr

Authyrtyr The King of Potatoes

What act?

20. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Oh, I thought the Bane Shift on your nose was just so you can be mod, didn't know it was for real. My bad. Carry on. Obumma says I have to be tolerant.