Weekly* Rune Discussion: Obelisk of Foresight

Discussion in 'Savage Tundra' started by Hiyashi, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Hiyashi

Hiyashi I need me some PIE!

Hello everybody!

The ST Forums are rather dead lately. In an attempt to bring some life back to this place I present you the Weekly* Rune Discussion!

Today I shall direct your focus towards the hardly mentioned Obelisk of Foresight, one of my new favorite Runes. I already mentioned my newfound love towards this Rune in another thread but I just like that phallic piece of stone so much that I think it deserves special mention.

[​IMG]

So why would you want to run this thing? The main reason, for me, is the ability Preordained. This rune is revealed automatically at the beginning of the game. Effectively that means that your deck is shrinking down from a 30 rune deck to a 28 one; You don't even have to play the thing to get a use out of it. It's a 0 Nora investment for an aurguably awesome output!

There are a lot of advantages to having a smaller deck in a card game. They can be summarized with the term "less randomness"; The smaller your deck is the more likely it is that you'll draw the runes you need when you need them. You are more likely to draw your 7spd, arctic flyer on turn one and you are less likely to cry because you are losing a font battle just cause your [Insert Key Rune Here] is not revealed yet.

Next to that it's still a relic that is always available to do relic things with. That isn't as impressive as the 0 Nora benefit that it provides by not using it, but if you have to you can still deploy it to contest a font and get a Scry 3 out of it or abuse it as a Gale Force related road block or something~

As I already stated I like the rune a lot. The decks that I tried playing so far always had runes in them that I didn't really like or hardly ever used. And when it comes down to having a situational rune that can be great in one out of ten games or having the Obelisk which provides noticable benefits at zero costs in every game instead I rather pick the Obelisk.

And what's your opinion on the blue stone of Foresight? Do your love it? Do you hate it? Does it need to be changed? Is there actually a use for Occlude?

In my opinion the thing is awesome and usable in every ST deck. It has a small brother, the Suppression Crystal, which is in many ways just as awesome as the Obelisk of Forsight but I find myself not using it as much because Scry 3 on the Obelisk can actually be useful if you should have to deploy it.. meanwhile whatever the Supression Crystal does is somewhat silly. But if you want a 26 rune deck then they are awesome too!

My Final Rating: 10/10
    Would not deploy again

*It's more a whenever I feel like it kind of thing and probably won't ever happen again. But "Weekly Rune Discussion" looked better than "Whenever I feel Like It Rune Discussion".

Woffleet likes this.
  2. Lauremoon

Lauremoon I need me some PIE!

I'm a fan of minimum decks, consistency, etc. But here in Pox we only have 30 spots to fill, and there are so much things to fight with. Its hard to cut off 2 runes from a BG.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  3. Leadrz

Leadrz I need me some PIE!

Note. this lategame is crazy,
    Are all your runes on cooldown? simply conceal your runes, and rescry them again with the relic.
    Instant cooldown.

4. Hiyashi

Hiyashi I need me some PIE!

I only used Occlude once or twice since.. well.. usually concealing runes isn't the thing you want to do. In the few tests I did it seemed to only conceal runes that were not on cooldown. Though I must admit said tests were very half-donkey'd. If it can be used as a way to get your stuff off the cooldown then that's pretty awesome too! .. sometimes.

5. KingJad

KingJad I need me some PIE!

What game have u played with all ur runes on cooldown that u have 30 Nora to spare?

6. KingJad

6/10

Im an ST player and I have hardly if ever had space to throw in runes as filler (non-champion runes). I would throw in a obelisk of I had space I guess but what exactly are u excluding to run this relic x2. Sounds like a pretty bad decision.

7. daeminicus

daeminicus Devotee of the Blood Owl

If u gonna use it, it will prob be for late game. Dropping it for 30 nora early game or first turn will deny you champion drops.

8. Sirius

Sirius I need me some PIE!

I was thinking of including Obelisk of Foresight for reveals and more late game stamina against attrition decks with Occlude+ Augury on runes that are on cooldown. I would like some confirmation whether it does indeed conceal runes at random, regardless of them being on cd or not. I'd also like to know if anyone used Obelisk like this successfully.

9. Leadrz

Not sure about random/ top part.
    But yes, i have seen it used and used it as cooldown device.

10. KingJad

Yes to all you have asked.

11. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

it's always been combo fodder, if you run a trick deck this thing is almost always in it to reduce variation and ensure you draw your combo early.

aside from that, spending nora for near to no in game effect is a bad idea.

it's ability to hide runes would be good if you could select the runes you want hidden or before you drew the runes would be good, but as is it's really not that great the odds of hiding a rune you want while not being able to reveal them again till the next turn is just not good.

12. Entrepidus

Entrepidus I need me some PIE!

If we're going to give this a closer look, I have to wonder whether or not there is any reason to change its current role? Combo/trick BGs, rush BGs, superchamp BGs and spell spam BGs already tend to include this relic for one reason or another. If it's already effective in those situations, what would the goal be for changing it? How would you preserve its current function while expanding its appeal to other BG types? Would you add Favor to aim for a stronger mid-game? Would you lower the cost and switch to Scrying for slower by less costly reveals? How would we go about changing it, if at all, and why?

At one point I used this in Ferren until I committed to Arctic Gift (25N) and various forms of terrain generation. If Ferren are ever "fixed" to my satisfaction, I'd be interested in testing its viability given the below average cost of Ferren. The nora I save deploying cheap Ferren has always been used to deploy extra relics or cast extra spells. Faster reveals for greater deploy consistency is of great interest to me.

13. Leadrz

Change it to a rank of scy or reveal.
    Change the hiding ability to the one that affects both allies and opponents.
    Idk.
    An Idea if you want to change it for changes sake.

14. Sirius

Sirius I need me some PIE!

Or you know, make it prioritize concealing runes on CD first and then others.

15. Leadrz

Maybee too strong.

KingJad likes this.