welp, that was a rough launch.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by newsbuff, Mar 9, 2014.

1. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

Anyone else get the feeling that pox code is like a house of cards?

I don't understand how so much stuff can break from a simple database migration...Did they "lose" a bunch of code? Was the version patched to an unstable buggy version or something?

I was expecting major delays (weeks) for the migration, but was pleasantly surprised when it was done in only a couple days. But now that I've seen the state this game is in, I'm deeply concerned.

I know we have all thrown around the idea of a code rewrite for a while now...maybe that would be a prudent choice rather than all the other stuff we talk about. This just seems so unstable.

2. Fikule

Fikule I need me some PIE!

To be honest, this isn't really the launch.

This is the beta before the actual launch (when advertising comes out). They have a good bit of time to get things running smoother, especially if we post any issues we find.

3. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

if they need help beta testing, perhaps they should have an explicit pool of testers with beta clients...i am sure some normal and even new players are being burned on this buggy experience as we speak...yet more human capital squandered.

4. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

Owls warned us that the period after the server transition may be full of issues they may or may not encounter during the next few days (if not weeks). We should just stay calm for now and try to help them find as many bugs as it's possible.

5. Paper Skull

Paper Skull I need me some PIE!

6. ktm

ktm Member

this so this.

always going to be problems during a switch up like we just had. you have to remember there was a bunch of new code put in the mix when they made the changes to the game client to allowaccess to the website stuff. plus they changed a few things, pertaining to the runes themselves and some abilities. i am not a programmer but i do believe when you make a bunch of changes like that, you get bugs.

7. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

I forgot about those code changes, that helps me understand what could have caused the bugs.

8. Authyrtyr

Authyrtyr The King of Potatoes

In programming any small change can have completely unexpected effects. That's why the programming community created automated unit testing (ie JUnit). Think of any program as an inconceivably complex system, sure you can go through the system one part at a time but the various interactions between pieces can't always be readily anticipated. For example, a small change in how long one part of the program takes to run could affect how two other parts at a later timestamp are synchronized with eachother. The step after them is now missing data and your client crashes.

In addition to the wild complexity of any program (especially one that uses the internet) the servers being used changed which is bound to have effects on performance. Computational power aside, if the servers have different OS or even different OS versions it can change how the OS handles particular synchronization issues or what processes get priority or how streamlined the handling of incoming HTTP Requests is. The number of variables involved in an undertaking like this is truly tremendous.

As to whether or not they should've had a closed beta with a smaller test group first is a valid argument. Although, personally I'm much happier having a glitchy client that I can find and report bugs in than no client at all.

9. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Any clues on why we have a limited amount of bgs to choose from on ranked, rather than the whole selecion of bgs one has created?

10. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Huh? I can pick all of my BG's

11. Authyrtyr

No problems here either.

12. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Well that´s weird, then.

13. KTCAOP

KTCAOP I need me some PIE!

If you are having issues with your BG's, please try to remake your BG's and let me know if that works.

As to the original topic, from what I have seen posted, a lot of changes were made to the server before DOG received it. If I were to guess (and this may be totally unfounded), I would expect that SOE had 2 servers, a live one, and a test one where they would test out changes to be applied over to the live, and it was the test server that they received. Thus there were changes and unexpected errors that abounded. DOG wanted to get the servers up and running sooner rather than later for the extended wait, but this does give them a wider audience then to allow them to test.

Indeed, a good way is to treat this as a beta period to allow them to make progress on the game, and progress is being made =P.

14. Authyrtyr

Indeed! I can logon now. That's progress in and of itself.

15. ktm

ktm Member

:D thanks. so happy to be part of the pox community, where (most of the time) people who disagree can have a rational discussion and when pple are wrong/or who forget things, openly admit it. much more mature than some forums ive been to in my gaming time....

16. Authyrtyr

One of Pox's high points for me is definitely the community.

17. Lubanja

Lubanja Member

i dont get it, what are the problems?

18. dsjtheman

dsjtheman I need me some PIE!

at this point im just glad its in thier hands and not SoE's

19. Emries

Emries Devotee of the Blood Owl

1) I want to attribute a lot of the errors and delays to SOE because well, waiting for information was the whole first day.

2) I want everyone to stop taking advantage of the no signature character / size limit on these "beta" forums. It's obnoxious and you're just making a fool of yourself :p

20. dsjtheman

dsjtheman I need me some PIE!

you can turn sigs off