What are you good at?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Poxpoints, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

I live in the UK. Want to see a lot of southeast Asia (well, first anyway). But also hears amazing things about south America.

Time frame wise: I'm not too eure, sorry.

2. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I am pretty good at driving as long as it is not an automatic.

automatics are so boring I start nodding off.
    falling asleep while driving a car is less than ideal.

cruise control and automatics are unnecesary bullshit for the disabled, including mentally in case of Americans.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    Pattn199 likes this.
  3. Poxpoints

Poxpoints I need me some PIE!

I haven't traveled South America yet, so it will be harder for me to give advice on that.

I have a bit of experience with SEA, soon to be increased, as this winter I'm most likely spending at least 4 months there.

Your biggest cost will most likely be your flight, so doing some research here will save you the most money.

Some tips in order to find the cheapest flights (using Skyscanner, Kayak and the airlines website as well):
    - First use Skyscanner, than use Kayak, if you found your flight, see if it's cheaper on the official airlines website (sometimes there are differences)
    - Be flexible (a day difference can make a huge difference in price).
    - Generally speaking the cheapest moment to book a flight if not in high season is 30 to 20 days in advance.
    - Look at nearby airports as well (flixbus or hitchhike and take the plane from / to somewhere else).

In SEA, use booking.com, hostelworld.com seems to only list the more expensive hostels. In the most touristic countries (Thailand), you don't need to book in advance if you like to be flexible. I've always found a place to sleep for 100 bath (2.5 usd) except for Bangkok where it's a bit more expensive.

Eat the streetfood, it's cheap and good. Do pay attention at how it's prepared though. If it looks like it's been sitting there for a while, don't eat it.

Don't drink too much. It quickly adds up.

If something doesn't have a price tag, be wary that chances are they will charge you more than what it's worth. Most likely you can negotiate the price down though.

Tuktuks are more expensive than taxis in general, public transport is dirt cheap. Don't let a taxi tell you his meter isn't working, it is, tell him to use it.

Hitchhiking, at least in Thailand, is possible. But the train is not that expensive and, from what I've heard, nice.

On the bigger markets, buy deeper inside of the market, it's generally cheaper.

That's what I can come up with at the moment for SEA. If I can think of more, I'll let you know. If you have questions, shoot!

Gnomes and Tweek516 like this.
  4. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Flights.google.com will show you a calendar with different prices.

Tweek516 likes this.
  5. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

Helps a ton man. Ill have a think and see if I can come up with any other questions. Thanks :D

Poxpoints likes this.
  6. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I can tell when someone is not a good person to put in charge of a country;

7. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Trump is anti-intellectual because he isn't an intellectual, just as most of his followers.

keep beating the horse forever, it'll never die

8. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

At some point even 'intellectuals' learn that screaming the same thing over and over doesn't make it true.

9. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Climate change is a lie!

God is real!

Trickle down economics!

10. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I just really liked that video but of course you guys are very good at being triggered. I am bad at posting appropriate things.

11. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

there are some bad hombres out there