What happened to TG overnight?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Saka, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Saka

Saka The King of Potatoes

There was like ~50 people on TG about 24~36h ago cause I was observing some games and now it's like 0~2 people, can someone enlighten me what happened? Just curious.

Did everyone play enough of premade decks to realize they were poor designed and unfun? :D

Just surprised how sudden the loss of players was

2. AmmonReros

AmmonReros I need me some PIE!

3. AmmonReros

AmmonReros I need me some PIE!

I dont think they were compared at all. We do that now but in the creation process each faction only got told the same. Build a BG with 2 exos and 1 warbanner that is as newbie friendly as possible.

4. tehnicianu

tehnicianu New Member

TG being depopulated is obviously a problem. What I miss is a place where we can play casual and testing BGs. Moreover, these fixed BGs are very difficult to balance.

I wonder if we could not have in TG the option to ”Create game”, just like in BattleGrounds, where u can play whatever u like, while reserving the ”Quick Match” option only for premade BGs.
    In this way u have the option to play/test whatever BG u like, with friends and guilidies, in TG, pressing QuickMatch, while if u want to use premade BGs, hit the ”Quick Match”.

What u say?

5. Shuyash

Shuyash The King of Potatoes

The "create game" in the battlegrounds is unranked, aka casual :)

6. nitebane21

nitebane21 I need me some PIE!

Yeah, I think once people realized they could create a game in battleground, use any bg they wanted and get a match much quicker, they left TG. I'm not really sure what the difference between unranked BG matches and TG matches is supposed to be.

7. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

TG matches can use public decks only as far as I'm aware, thus keeping everyone on equal ground.

8. nitebane21

Yes, but so? Why compete against a bunch of premade bgs when you'll never see them in ranked? You're practically playing the Trials of Wrath/Protectorate solo campaigns at that point.

Edit- And if you said that just because you thought I didn't know the actual difference between unranked and TG games, thanks but imo thats a pretty minor difference. There really needs to be a better reason to distinguish between the 2. I play with public bgs about 75% of the time and never bother with TG.

9. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

Not really unless you call everyone there a bot. :p

10. nitebane21

Once you know what runes the other guy has to use and how the bg plays, its about as predictable. I played a SP vs SP Laughing game yesterday and it was just us playing the same runes in practically the same order. I won mainly because I had a lvl 50 avatar and he didn't.

11. Zenity

Zenity Devotee of the Blood Owl

So you are saying the game is all about the deck now, no actual... you know... strategy?

But seriously, training grounds is obviously meant for beginners. The game has no beginners, so training grounds is empty. Makes sense.

12. nitebane21

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. Its not like knowing your opponent's bg and moves would factor into strategy at all... :rolleyes:

The only reason TG is meant for beginners is because people say so. That doesn't actually make it so. Beginners are going to want to try out their own bgs, play against friends and earn CP which can all be done in unranked battleground matches. Even if they want to stick with the premade decks, at some point they're probably want to play against something other than other premades.

13. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

TG fills a invaluable role, allowing people with no runes to play against other people with no runes.

Zenity and Pedeguerra like this.
  14. nitebane21

I get that that's what its for. I disagree that its an "invaluable role". Once you play against the same handful of premade bgs a few times, it gets stale, people move on to unranked games and you have less TG people. Just make a pull-down menu in unranked games that has bg restrictions, like: Public only, Normal, Circus. Now everyone isn't split between two lobbies.

15. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

16. Shimaru

Shimaru Devotee of the Blood Owl

Yeah, right. That mentality is basically what that developer tried to force into the game, and eventually almost killed.

For starters, by forcing the players to play with the same bg, the newbies are forced to learn their respective bg in much more deep than the typical player who is constantly tuning the bg, without taking enough time to stick to a particular strategy or learn the potential of the different runes. This, while can get boring after a while, it also helps newbies to understand something: the battlefield.

Seriously, a good player can beat a bad player not because who have the shiniest runes, but who based on who understands and have a better control on the battlefield. If the player can learn and understand their bg faster (by playing with it a lot, or facing it), they will have much more time to put attention to how the battlefield impacts on the game, and learn better about things like positioning, and ap management.

In other words, as it is currently, TG helps the newbies to develop a more solid ground to start elaborating their own bgs.

17. nitebane21

When you say things like "forcing the players to play with the same bg", "newbies are forced to learn", "can get boring after a while" I don't think you're making as strong a case for the wonderfulness of TG as you think you are. Its like expecting a kid to get tons of enjoyment from the kiddie pool when the big kid pool is right next to them.

18. KTCAOP

KTCAOP I need me some PIE!

It should also be stated that TG games are now being displayed in the Battlegrounds Lobby.