What if DoG makes "press" accounts for streamers?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LoganMkv, Jul 24, 2015.

1. LoganMkv

LoganMkv I need me some PIE!

Personally I'm not into streams of games which are already public, but it's apparently a thing now — I've seen popular charismatic streamers playing even really bad stuff with huge amount of watchers.

And I've noticed that some of them accept requests to stream a game, if provided with keys/accounts.

So what if DoG makes bunch of "press" accounts with trade lock, changeable username, and all runes/avatars in inventory?

Then they dog or we players can try to invite streamers (should be done probably right after the exp release though).

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
    Karamasov, Ifem21 and Anima26 like this.
  2. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

i think this is a fantastic idea

Anima26 likes this.
  3. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I don't see how it could hurt at all. Though I'm pretty sure you'd have to put some dollas dollas on the table.

4. LoganMkv

That depends on whether they are pure professionals or "amateurish". Latter may consider dollas from their subscribers enough, cause I've seen them playing games with maintainers likely even more poor than pox's.

5. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Perhaps.

The big question is whether DOG wants to put in the effort.

6. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

It has its pros and cons. The cons obviously being giving someone with no pox experience access to everything and then expecting them not to get their ass kicked so bad that they ragequit and make us look bad in front of 600 people. Would have to be some seriously level headed people.

7. LoganMkv

@Markoth

huh, that's the whole point.

Main pox problem is that 96% of noobs instantly label it pay2win. If they see that somebody with access to all runes gets his ass kicked, they may suddenly realize that pox involves some skill.

8. soulmilk

soulmilk I need me some PIE!

Watchers need to feel the game is not pay2win early, be able to feel they are competetive without having to grind too much and be able to use what the streamers are using.

I could see a kind of starter pack being purchable with gold that streamers get for free.
    Either that or we need packs that only include runes from 1 faction.

9. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Yes but if someone has no knowledge and gets beat they are going to assume that what they faced is OP because they got beat so bad. When it happens over and over and over they will just assume that the game is unbalanced as opposed to they are bad.

Lushiris likes this.
  10. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Well.... :rolleyes:

11. LoganMkv

Do you really expect a random new guy to be competetive with anything?

But he has access to everything. So if he plays X and gets stomped by Y, he can switch to Y, only to get stomped by Z, and several iterations later inevitably get a "circular reference exception".

12. soulmilk

soulmilk I need me some PIE!

No, just that they feel they have a competitive deck.

13. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

get a couple of these goons and give them pox-buddies

have them 2v2 against each other til you can take the training wheels off.

14. Elves Rule

Elves Rule I need me some PIE!

This goes back to the idea of trying to get people like TotalBiscuit rate the game. Can't exactly remember what was said, think it was along the lines of "they'll just say it's really bad, and then less people will be willing to play".

Up to the greens to decide.

Anima26 likes this.
  15. Bellagion

Bellagion I need me some PIE!

To be honest, I think giving the stream accounts to rando established streamers is a bad idea. One of the biggest barriers to entry for Pox is the burden of the huge learning curve. If you just pull in someone who isn't necessarily interested in this pretty niche game, the most likely result in my mind is that they're gonna play a while, get their ass handed to them, and watchers will misinterpret the game and Pox will get written off. The viewers will be like "This guy was a pro player in [whatever game]! But he can't even scratch anyone in Pox! If he can't do it with all the cards, I surely can't with only a few of them."

The game needs streamers, yes, but it might be better to start within the community and work our way up, especially if DOG doesn't have any money to offer professionals.

Anima26 likes this.
  16. Anima26

Anima26 I need me some PIE!

I see what youre saying, i suppose it would certainly need to be handled very carefully. The important points would need be come across early and that is that Pox isnt pay2win, that Pox has a steep learning curve with a pretty big knowledge burden and that strength in the game is not only down to the cards in your deck but more so the individuals skill as it is not just a card game but a table top turn based strategy game. In Chess you both have the same set of pieces but individual skill makes a massive difference.

Also the low playerbase will cause an issue with this as it already does, one of the biggest things i see get newbies down is playing against far superior opponents who have played for years and simply dominate them the majority of the time. Its difficult for people to get matches against people at their skill level, unless pre set up via guild chat for example.

I think its an interesting idea that would hopefully gain Pox exposure and in long run more players but it definitely has its cons and risks.

This is an issue with the very small player base though, its tough to get matches vs people at a similar skill level usually its way off. Either youre much more experienced or they are. Nothing will solve this problem though without more new players, its a bit of a hole.

17. Senshu

Senshu Administrator Octopi

To comment on this, we have worked with a few streamers to give them a hand, but a lot of them want to play from the beginning and showoff the progression. As much as it would be cool to have everything part of the experience is the progression and opening packs.

18. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

first things first
    make it available in mac
    seriously though i still didn't get a chance to get my steam gift :(

19. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

People want to win by nature or at least feel like they had a shot. Even if they had everything I fully expect a new player to lose a lot. They wont know why they are losing (they will know they suck) and have to blame something to save face in front of the viewers.
    Example. Opponent uses Monsoon and Drown and insta kills his 65 nora unit. All he is going to see is that his new shiny badass just got killed "for free" and not comprehend that the opponent spent 100 nora to do it.

20. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

115 nora.

And I do support the idea, although right now I'm supporting anything. It's just a matter of the streamer not being a natural ragequitter.