What if Heroes are Preordained?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Djangoguy, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Djangoguy

Djangoguy The King of Potatoes

2. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

They would be revealed at the beginning of each game.

3. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

/thread

Ohmin likes this.
  4. Djangoguy

Djangoguy The King of Potatoes

I thought forums are for real discussing not cynical replies

5. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

You kind of opened yourself up to it by not presenting a case for your argument, namely that Heroes should have Preordained.

That aside, while seemingly a small change it would have a rather large impact on how the game is played. Not all heroes are equal and that would manifest even more so from this. Preordained translates to free rune reveals and the more heroes included in a deck the easier it is to ensure you get the draws that you want. Some factions like FW or KF dont often run all their heroes so factions like IS would receive a greater benefit. Even within those factions (I will continue with IS) Paladins would have a much greater benefit than Grintmaw or Constructs.

6. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

There's also the impact it would have on Split BGs. While of course there are no doubt some who would like to see full-faction be "stronger" than Splits, I think it could still be problematic, at least with the current Split Hero limitations.

7. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Handing out preordained like candy is bad for the game.

Tweek516 likes this.
  8. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

I wonder if I am the only one that still plays with the Auto-reveal runes disabled.

Lushiris and IMAGIRL like this.
  9. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Nope, I've it off too. Feels nice.

10. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Is that the feature that where it shows 30 "face down" runes and then you click which ones you want?

11. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

yup

12. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I welcome discussion on this topic, I just thought I was being funny.

In general, the net effect of things being Pre-ordained means you will see it deployed more often. The question is what, specifically, we would be trying to accomplish by giving it to Heroes.

Tweek516 and Sealer0 like this.
  13. Bellagion

Bellagion I need me some PIE!

Then maybe you should include some sort of discussion of the topic in your original post...

14. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

Let's not forget they'd be +8 nora, and triggering things like Dark Favor would be kind of weird.

This. @Djangoguy , any discussion is better led when the OP shows at least a general direction of where it should go. Arrows to the title might be a bit too vague for most people.

15. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

Preordained works well for certain runes but I agree that it shouldn't be spread around too much. Heroes are meant to be some of the most special/powerful runes in the game and having them be a guaranteed 1st turn draw is bad news for Pox. Does anyone really want a Pox where every game starts by finding out you have to kill Vindrax, dance around the range of Menalaus, or deal with the deadly DoTs of Gekaal?

Lushiris likes this.
  16. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

Or always having your font contested by D'elim + some random champion.

Xirone likes this.
  17. Capitulator

Capitulator I need me some PIE!

What the?!!

Currently when you conceal runes (e.g. from Conceal) they will be re-revealed first next turn. Does this feature mean that you can change that so you can reveal random runes again? That's huge. Can you turn it on and off during a match to switch between re-reveal and random reveal?

18. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

No.

You can choose to auto reveal runes or click concealed runes yourself to reveal them. There is no option to re-reveal previously revealed runes that were concealed.

19. Capitulator

Capitulator I need me some PIE!

I don't think I was quite clear. The auto-reveal will reveal two runes. If you Concealed one rune on the previous turn, it is guaranteed to be revealed first.

This is a good thing if you like the runes you have revealed on cooldown and want to conceal them, reset their cooldown, then use them again next turn. But when you really want access to a rune you haven't revealed, concealing runes on cooldown is counter-productive.

Does this manual setting actually end up giving you the chance to by-pass the runes you concealed on the previous turn? If you can toggle it in-game then it will make the Conceal ability much more flexible. I can't test this out right now.. so I'm resorting to forum posts..

20. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

Short answer: no.

Edit: Haven't actually tested, but I don't think you can toggle in game.