What is a Smartphone

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Boozha, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

And where do I get the cheapest bestest?

So I'm looking for something with a big screen, Android or Windows, long battery runtime, moderate to semibad processor and preferably no damn camera.

Anyone got ideas?

2. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

What carrier are you using? The network that is available for you to use will determine what phones are usable.

3. Boozha

I currently don't have a smartphone, so thats rather irrelevant for that decision, isn't it :p

4. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Ok, what carriers can you choose from? That will determine which phones are usable.

5. PurpleTop

PurpleTop I need me some PIE!

gallaxy S5 is the best smartphone on the market, hands down 6:30.

I'm running a windows 8x, but am not as pleased with it as I would like to be. I think Android is the way to go.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  6. Boozha

I have no idea :L T-Online should certainly be, and some German ones ...

So I'll need to check that first at any rate?

7. PurpleTop

Verizon has the best coverage significantly, but tends to be a little more expensive

8. Boozha

Well, price would be a real priority anyway, so a S5 kind of fails the test.

9. PurpleTop

it's priced that way for a reason :p but budget is budget

10. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Looks like Vodafone and T-Mobile are the big players there. Personally, go with a prepaid phone, you pay more for the device, but over the length of a contract you'll save money. Going budget I would go with a Galaxy S3, HTC One, or another comparable Android phone. In my opinion Samsung has the best quality, and getting an older Samsung is better than getting a newer budget phone like ZTE or Keyocera.

11. rodar

rodar Well-Known Member

Not sure if this is still relevant but I had good experiences with the MI2s and MI3 phones of xiaomi. Good price/quality but it's rather unlikely you'll find a carrier that offers them, I had to import them myself from China and fiddle a bit with the language settings after (I don't speak Chinese). Both still work fine (I sold the older one to my sister when I got the Mi3).

12. Boozha

Still relevant, but I'm really, really looking for a budget one

13. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

all I know is, I cant add the tnt mod to the minecraft game on my sons ipad and it is driving us all freakin crazy. apparently it would have been easier to do if we had got him an android.

14. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

go for china importation: https://www.chinavasion.com/
    they are absolutely transparent with their specs and have a wide range of prices.

15. KelRama

KelRama The King of Potatoes

A good one would be an alcatel one touch.

I got myself a Samsung S5, it rly rocks :D

16. Boozha

The prices are nice, and the E-Ceros one looks pretty sexy, but ... that site smells of fish in some way o_O

17. GabrielQ

I bought from there a couple times, never a problem.

18. Boozha

I found some really pissed off reviews, and I really like the strong refund right in Germany ... I'm not quite sold on it :L

19. GabrielQ

You are a science student right? read those reviews and figure out if the problem was with the phone/seller or with ignorance from the buyer.
    Also, you have paypal as payment method, I think they take responsibility if something happens.

20. Boozha

Hm, right, if I am unhappy with the quality I can reset the deal over paypal if the company is not willing to reverse it, right? There were really not few that complained about bad build, unreliability etc. I'm also wary of astroturfing, though your recommendation mitigates that a bit. Do you per chance know how much shipping is approximately? Don't want to make an account before I have decided