what is OP right now?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by badgerale, Sep 2, 2014.

1. jeeperz2

jeeperz2 I need me some PIE!

- SP heros
    - VOIL
    - Bloodfiend
    - VOIL
    - AA
    - Falconer
    - Skywings/Vex
    - IS heros
    - Colossal Boa
    - Ghost theme
    -VOIL
    -KAS GUIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!
    - Beast
    - Renovator + combo X
    - Firk mindshredder
    - VOIL
    - Artic turtle
    - Some other elves and faction bonuses.

That's all at the top of my head I wanted to say trees but I haven't seen them in awhile.

2. Axeraiser

Axeraiser I need me some PIE!

Every single instagib in the game. The spells Drown, Blink, Swap and Doom . Anything that ****s a champ that requires nothing more than a click and drag is awful for the game. To a lesser extent this includes the Aspect of Deaths Death Knoll which seems really strong post revamp.

To a lesser extent Bastions CA : Devastate, hes a heavy nora investment, requires support, positioning etc which allows it to be countered unlike spells, but yeah I wouldn't care if it was changed as long as he was compensated.

Crystal Dragon : Frost Catalyst is too strong deals way too much damage, it prods off of auras too so you can trigger it yourself at the end of each turn to make him a walking AoE. Also triggers on DoTs.

Colossal : Simply too strong.

Regal Presence + Boost Voil seems too much atm.

Haunting Grip : Self explanatory.

Summons / Free Meat : Still too strong, Furbull Mother is a big offender atm that slipped under the radar some how.

Talgar + Hammerheart : Too much survivability, maybe lower the defence given by plate mail.

Ancestral Avenger : Pretty self explanatory, combined with protection makes him an infinite font contester with little to no counters available.

Falconer : Too cheap for his damage output, Hawk Attack is really strong.

IS font bonus , ST font bonus , KF faction bonus. The extra AP from IS and ST and the plus + speed from KF gives far too many draw wins on certain maps, sort of a case of map imbalances though.

These are just off the top of my head, probably plenty more.

Sealer0 and BurnPyro like this.
  3. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

I think in practice you are usually faced with a 'phalanx' of champs gathered around the boost champs. If you are attacking the phalanx you need to target the highest damage dealer rather than the boost champ, as this is the thing that will cripple you with the counter attack. So I'd take out Scien, not imperialist in the case of voils - after that sorcerer. I don't think you generally have the luxury of targeting anything but the most immediately dangerous so the benefits of boost tend to last.

Would it still be an issue if every race had it? I don't know but it would be very boring as it tends to dictate that build up, cluster, power turn, game plan.

Sirius likes this.
  4. Senshu

Senshu Administrator Octopi

Abilities can take a lot of forms outside of a the direct Race boosting mechanic of the Boost abilities. An example would be Sacrifice of De'lim or Skeezick Alliance. Maybe I should have said enhancing or buffing since boost could be thought of as just the abilities that go by that name.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
    Sunutsu likes this.
  5. Anotherblackman

Anotherblackman I need me some PIE!

The thing about voil is that their Current Boost scheme is similar to the older "OP version" of constructs way back.

Since everything in the BG that revolves around boost and regal, all you have to do is throw in these do in every things unit that effect the battle in multiple ways(except nora cost cause of SP bonus lol)

Also some decks with a similar effect(leoss) aren't even close to its power because they are not as efficient as voil can be(remove Counter attack ranged from leoss magnate )

6. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

This is basicly america on topic of guns.......... giving everyone boosts or guns in this example doesn't solve sht..... if anything it makes it worse
    In countries that don't allow guns at all ( not even to the normal cops ( not including local special forces sort of like SWAT)) have A LOT less crime/murder

Don't be fooled im not arguing about guns....just thought it was a good example.....

No. don't give everyone boosts.

jeeperz2 likes this.
  7. jeeperz2

jeeperz2 I need me some PIE!

I agree with this. I like the idea someone else mentioned to completely remove boost 3 from the game and changing the lower ranks of boost.

It wouldn't be much different from the way curpz balanced either when he saw one faction was lacking something he would just give them the samething the other one had and build on that but leaving the other things left behind to die and it made factions much less unique.

8. theKraken

theKraken I need me some PIE!

I think poople like abilities like improve damage and not boost. We want reasons to run a theme, but care needs taken to prevent the stacking of to many buffs. Every theme should have stats and abilities it emphasizes but blanket bonuses like regal presence and boost are not liked as much.

Sunutsu likes this.
  9. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

If the abilities no longer stacked, I think that would be manageable. Currently you can benefit from Boost, Regal Presence, Battlemaster, Defender, and probably more abilities that I am missing.

If you instead benefited from whatever the best increase was for each one, that would help. Consider Regal Presence and Defender 3. You would get +3 damage, +3 defense, +5 HP instead of +3 damage, +4 defense, +5 HP.

That seems like a small change, but when you consider Regal Presence, Battlemaster, and Defender 3, which would be the same +3 damage, +3 defense, +5 HP instead of instead of having +5 damage, +5 defense, +5 HP.

10. Vorian

Vorian I need me some PIE!

Its because capping fonts matter, and being too fat that Cyclops are bad! They need mountaineer now! I don't care about the cost increase!

11. Vorian

I forgot Bouncer for IS the champ for 69 nora is just ridiculous!

12. KingJad

KingJad I need me some PIE!

you make it seem like the SP bonus will allow a minor cost increase.

13. Vorian

If you ever played SP you will realise the bonus is not as good as the UD bonus, UD get 20 damage worth of increase for every free champ SP get. The only advantage of the SP bonus is it allows you to deploy more expensive champs more often!

14. TheNidhogg

TheNidhogg I need me some PIE!

I mean.. kind of. If you get 12% back on each champ that means after you deploy 8 you get 1 free.

BurnPyro likes this.
  15. KingJad

KingJad I need me some PIE!

I wasn't comparing bonus' I was simply stating any cost increase you think u are burdening you most likely aren't.

16. Vorian

That's 16 damage for ud, 80hp for ST, do I need to go on? You are right and my arguments support that.

17. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

It would still be an issue and would make every theme have 4 autoinclude champions. Consider the effects of stacking boost and regal presence: +6 damage (better than UD faction bonus and affects ranged and melee equally) +11 health (though this is a fuzzy area since the voil player will probably just end their turn with 2 champs in the regal presence AoE, but those 2 champions get the ST bonus) +2 defense (slightly worse than the SL bonus but compounds with the health bonus). Then consider that many factions also get active and spell-based buffs on top of those (eg. warcry in voil).

Boost is so good that even when its put on non-support units they can hang back and still be efficient through the bonus stats. With an active range of 6 they can often hang back and force a spell to kill them. Many of the boost champs can be effective from the back though (only looking at boost3 because that is where the big problems are):

Cyclops chieftain has a nice damage bomb that makes it easier for his boosted friends to kill whatever he just bombed.
    Houndmaster can drive for more damage and AP and also summon free champs that he boosts and the champs also have detection.
    Sarnghavian herder can invigorate and grant: mobility
    Skeezick herder can drive, has a ranged attack, and provides a nora discount just for being on the field.
    Lonx recruiter summons free champs that he boosts
    Snake charmer summons free champs that she boosts and she also heals
    Vashal druid has a ranged attack and benefits from boost himself
    Dwarven engineer heals, summons, and grants tough
    Dwarven tinkerer heals, summons, grants tough, and grants a 6 damage aura
    Zeventrech has a ranged attack and benefits from boost himself
    Kanen crone has a ranged attack, benefits from boost herself, and grants a 6 damage aura
    Mysian necromancer has a ranged attack and summons boostable champs
    Tomb lord has a ranged attack, benefits from boost himself, and summons boostable champs. He can also either drive his friends or hit pretty hard with surge.
    Tormented priest has a ranged attack, a passive healing/counterhealing mechanism, dispel, and benefits from boost himself

Then there are other boost champs that are closer to frontliners:
    Spirit of the mountain (by frontline I mean your font. Good luck if you don't have any magic damage)
    Voil imperialist (benefits from boost himself, probably needs to put himself in some danger in order to get the most utility out of him)
    Bonewing (benefits from boost himself, needs to put himself in some danger to get the most utility out of him, elusive)

So out of the 16 boost 3 champions, 3 of them are likely to be in positions where you can kill them without a major offensive play (which will often need a spell, put your own champions in a vulnerable position to make the kill, or for you to have played a mistake-free game and managed to kill the boosted champions effectively before finally getting to the booster).

Of those 3 champions:
    1 needs a specific type of damage to kill, and the boost he provides is easily replaced (depending on the split there could be 4 or more other boost 3 champions)
    1 is killable but is also not such a lynchpin: this deck also has a ranged surge unit, a warcry unit, and a regal presence unit
    1 is also killable but often needs specialized tactics, and the boost he provides is easily replaced (there could be up to 5 other boost 3 champions in the deck)

All three of these champions benefit from boost themselves.

I am not saying that all boost3 champs are OP, but that the way this ability is currently designed and allocated makes it a lot harder to deal with in practice than it seems in theory.

18. TheNidhogg

TheNidhogg I need me some PIE!

The UD bonus is 4 damage for starters.

But a strict comparison like that doesn't work because more nora always means more options.

19. Centuros

Centuros Active Member

Nefari Reaper makes good use of Cleave, and should keep the 1-2 range for that reason alone.

Only Ghost really needs to be looked at (and maybe vaporize, but I don't think anything with actual survivability gets that). Other incorporeal champs have a very limited duration.

theKraken likes this.
  20. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

It should also be considered that many factions/themes just aren't suited to build up play. FS and UD are rush oriented factions where as SL and IS tend to build and would get more from boost.