What is up with ranked?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alakhami, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Moles

Moles Administrator Octopi

Sounds like your going to be happy then.

2. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- Immaterial to a cyborg.... but to a player there is no way to make this "feel ok". The player doesn't see any of it happening he just has to "assume" ...someone else really did well so I'm content I guess... nah

Kampel likes this.
  3. Poxbrothers

Poxbrothers Devotee of the Blood Owl

WoW arena seems to work and is considered highly competitive also using ELO.

The main differences:

- It's live. (removes the possibility to go 7 - 0 unranked and be LE as you would face stronger opponents).
    - It shows rating (not rank, although showing both would work imo).
    - It shows MMR (which is as important in knowing how skilled your opponent is as rating).

Doing this might solve some issues.

Simcerely,

Josh753

4. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

I'm like the poster boy for the ranking system not working.

SPiEkY likes this.
  5. devilsrath

devilsrath I need me some PIE!

We need a Live rank update, i.e. I beat tiny whose currently rank 1, i'm rank 2- we go back into lobby, refresh home page and boom I over-took him, none of this once a day BS.

We need to be able to see how much exp we gained/lost after the match.

We need player stats- win % vs players, most used runes, MVPs- The current player profiles show faction points- we should be able to click the icon of each faction and see detailed statistics of their most used runes in that faction etc etc. This is compulsory in games and especially in a game like pox- imagine if you couldn't see KDA's with specific champs on LOL.

We need drums of war championships- a prestigious event at the end of each DOW where the top player in each faction, and each player with the most faction points enter to win massive prizes.

Changes like these are compulsory because they make games more competitive and addictive.

BurnPyro, Qucas, SPiEkY and 2 others like this.
  6. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Note that Pox's system is actually live in terms of calculations, it just doesn't show it right now (which is changing).

MMR is just an artificial construct designed to facilitate the fact that your ELO/Rating is not your reflective of your actual skill until you reach 50/50 WR. It allows your rating to move slower but more consistently, while MMR functions like how we currently use Rating. It helps mostly when you are getting a lot of new players into the system, and/or you are uncertain of the player's ratings.

Additionally, WoW Arena (and most ranking/rating systems) tend to get their own complaints. World of Tanks has several player created systems that are all disliked for various reasons (the most popular, is now called WN8, with 8 signifying that it is in its 8th major iteration).

7. MikeLin

MikeLin I need me some PIE!

@Sokolov

There is no rank system in wot. Wn7, wn8, efficiency, wr, stats on vehicles, and etc to determine if a clan wants a player by using ALL or MOST of these stats.

Eventually, when pox gets more people, we can have something like that.

@devilsrath
    Constant rank fluctuations in a day is a horrid idea because it will feel like a damn circus show with names bouncing up and down

8. Sokolov

My point isn't that WOT has a ranking system like our's but that even player created systems for determining player skill gets significant complaints and requires many iterations. Also, Object 907 hype.

9. MikeLin

MikeLin I need me some PIE!

@Sokolov

Why the f are we even discussing some of these questions when the biggest problem is lack of population?
    I.e pop is root of problem....

What would happen when I land a heat round on your 907 from my school bus

10. Poxbrothers

If it will show live (and update ranks straight away) that would be awesome.

"Constant rank fluctuations in a day is a horrid idea because it will feel like a damn circus show with names bouncing up and down"
    Easy to fix: only update all ranks at the end of a game and/or when you hit a "refresh ranks" button.

The biggest issue people seem to have with WoW Arena ranked sytem are:
    - Wins vs alts (possible in Pox too atm and not such a big problem imo as heavy offenders can easily be found)
    - MMR dropping (which in WoW is mostly done to get a better WR, which is not as important in Pox Nora)

Sincerely,

Josh753

11. heroex7777

heroex7777 Lord of ST

Example of broken system
    15-0 yesterday
    went up 1 rank

12. devilsrath

You'll only go up in rank as much as your experience allows. You gain experience in games which determines your rank. So you can go 100-0 and stay the same rank, but go up 100 experience.

13. Sokolov

Statements like these make it pretty clear people don't want to be ranked. They want to earn stars or badges.

Baskitkase and devilsrath like this.
  14. Poxbrothers

Do you have the rank formula somewhere?

15. Sokolov

There is no rank formula. It is literally just an ordinal count based on rating.

Rating uses standard ELO formula with a K-factor of... 24 I think for most players.

Given the population, we might adjust that.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  16. devilsrath

I think he means- how is experience calculated based on a win/ loss. Say pox battlemaster loses to #3, how much experience does #1 lose, and how much does #3 gain? and how is this calculated?

17. Sokolov

That is exactly what I answered.

18. devilsrath

Perhaps it's because i'm not familiar with the jargon. Could you dumb your answer down?

19. devilsrath

Either way in my experience if i lose my first game of the day and win the following 5 i often go up at leasr 20 exp. If i go 5-0 i often gain less than that. If i win my first 5 games and lose the last game of the day i go down by at least 20. Obviously it all depends on the experience of the players im against. But this is from my experience and explains why people are fed up with the current system.

20. heroex7777

heroex7777 Lord of ST

i went down 1 experience from yesterday. I beat multiple limiteds and halfgod who was 8 ranks higher