What is up with ranked?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alakhami, Feb 18, 2015.

1. devilsrath

devilsrath I need me some PIE!

I'd say yes.

BurnPyro and SPiEkY like this.
  2. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Currently yes. Though I would suspect that will change after a big patch/midterm/expansion etc.

SPiEkY likes this.
  3. heroex7777

heroex7777 Lord of ST

well in my past 100 games i went 88-12. My win% is 62% overall.

I can't wrap my head around going 15-0, beating people above me, below me, and near the top and gaining 1 exp. I'm pretty sure that everyone else didn't do that well too to make me stay the same.

4. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

My question would be, why does making rank mean more make you want to play less?

5. devilsrath

I don't think making it update weekly would encourage more play.

Hourly updates, or even instant update absolutely would in my opinion.

6. heroex7777

heroex7777 Lord of ST

u know what it's like to have to play 10-20 games a day and only be able to lose 1 game to retain your rank? x.x

i only play ranked to retain my rank so people don't think that i fell into trash oblivion

7. Sokolov

But making ranking update continuously so it's basically meaningless because your rank could change every few minutes make you want to play more?

It's like if they awarded a World Series title to the top baseball team every day. Does that make it more or less exciting to be the reigning World Series champions?

8. Sokolov

There is no solution to that except to abandon a performance based ranking system. Also, everyone around your rank is in the same boat.

9. heroex7777

heroex7777 Lord of ST

i think 6 hour rank updates would be okay. The more often the better. Also, more prizes! people like prizes. Gold per game seems like trash based on the current system and how much you actually get. I think it needs to scale on who you beat. Higher ranks should yield more gold. Rank rewards daily? :D

10. Sokolov

Why more often the better?

I keep seeing people claim this here. But why? It seems utterly backwards.

Keep in mind I am thinking of a state of the game where you can see experience updates.

11. devilsrath

If the premiership football table updated weekly, and not on an as-per game basis that it would be as competitive?

If they updated the LOL world championships, or even just the general ranking ladders on a weekly basis would this be as competitive?

Hell- in both these games the rank ladder is often calculated by analysts before the game is over.

I'm a competitive player and always have been. I want instant gratification. I want to be able to set myself a goal, and be able to reach that goal in one day. Not have to aim a week in advance.

BurnPyro likes this.
  12. JellyBerry

JellyBerry Forum Royalty

I think their argument is that frequent updates would make people feel more rewarded, as in the actual time spent playing the game would have results, therefore encouraging them to play more in order to achieve more.

Edit: Ninja'd by Devils.

13. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Depends on the new live updates. Will it look like: Exp: 1250 (+8) after a game or will we only see the (+8)? If I could see my new rating total after each game and see where it compared with the ladder to get an idea of where I would fall then I wouldn't care when the ranking updates were because I could at lease get an idea of my progress. It will be difficult for hardcore players to feel rewarded though after a particularly successful day if they have to wait till the end of the week to "claim their prize" and even risk losing it if they have a bad day on the next.

14. heroex7777

heroex7777 Lord of ST

not dogging on this person or anything but just an example.

https://www.poxnora.com/account/matchhistory.do?&i=4592664&fb=&p=0&fb=

17/8 in the past 25 games
    i went 22/3 in the past 25 games

Look at the game dates, this person played 4, 8, 4, 2, 1 games in the past 5 days.

This guy is higher ranked than me.

What's more important in ranking, the best player with the highest winrate or the most improved?

fyi that person's next page is even worse. 14-11

15. Vote Kanye 2020

Vote Kanye 2020 Better-Known Member

I'll just copy and paste it under the assumption that you either refused to correctly read what I put or didn't read it at all.

''Theres barely enough reasons to play daily as it is (Main being just for rank updates).'' Not sure where you got the ONLY reason people play from. However it is the largest and most important reason to play this game competitively.

Back on track, real time rating is great, so why not just have real time rank updates? As for why it's a bad idea, we like playing each day whenever we can and we like being able to see our ranks update the next day or following morning. Most people have asked for you to make ranks update more frequently and I haven't seen a single person ask for it to be made weekly.

We also have the issue that the people who actually deem this idea as well thought out are funnily enough the Greens who do not play this game regularly or competitively and the only green who does opposed this idea. In all honesty can you even list 1 game that works on a weekly ranking rota, because I can't (and there's more than likely a reason for that).

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  16. Vote Kanye 2020

Vote Kanye 2020 Better-Known Member

Ranked should be about playing the game to win, if you have fun then thats an added bonus.

17. Poxbrothers

Poxbrothers Devotee of the Blood Owl

Is it not possible to let rank update for a user after every game played or when the user hit a "refresh ranks" button (so it doesn't become annoying).

To answer your last question:
    Because you feel that you need to play more to keep your rank.

One very important thing to this is that there needs to be a fixed rank reset date from time to time (every week/month).
    And only the one who is battlemaster at the moment of the reset is the one that gets the title.
    So if you are there, you better keep up in order not too lose your place.

This is basically how WoW arena works, and it increases people playing during the last day before rank reset by a lot.

The only problem with this is that in Pox Nora it is to easy to go up in ranks as a low lvl at the moment because if I am unranked I will mostly face unranked players today, I get 8 wins and most likely I am LE and even without actively playing I can keep that rank fairly easily (I would love more punishment for inactivity, one of the flaws of ELO in my opinion).

Sincerely,

Josh753

18. heroex7777

heroex7777 Lord of ST

in a perfect world, ranks would update every game and it would say (+x exp) and have a arrow that goes up or down and says what rank and how many you moved to.

19. Sokolov

This is exactly what I am talking about.

Each week, there'd be ONE Pox Battlemaster.

During the week, you are vying for the title for next week.

20. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

I kinda like this idea. And change the stat on peoples profiles to Rank achieved "last season"