What reason is there to suppress "inconvenient" truth?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by st3ck, Dec 19, 2016.

1. st3ck

st3ck I need me some PIE!

Things like a cure to cancer, an 8 thousand year old race of giants that built the pyramids, human ruins on mars or the moon, proo/disproof of god/aliens, "free" energy, etc

(Big) If some or any of those were true, would there be an advantage, pragmatic, practical, or else wise to maintain a status quo, trickle the information, or keep some/all of it forever hidden? And assuming an antithesis, if we discover these things in our lifetime what kind of impacts would they have?

And of these types of topics which would fall into which category?

For instance, cure to cancer would either be super slow trickle, or forever sealed, similar to "free" energy as it has colossal economic impacts and drastic changes to infrastructure. I feel like the same would be true of any breakthrough in transportation technology, what with trillions of dollars in roads and airports.

Some discoveries probably just wouldn't be able to stay hidden, and could have huge impacts as well. Things like life on other planets, intelligent or else-wise, breakthroughs in energy and communication technology come to mind as can't be contained, where as perhaps controversial archeological finds could be covered up better.

In a more current application, if it were to be truth that Russia totally rigged/influenced the president election outcome, as well as the last several(why not?), would the US actually want that to come out?

Enjoy phone typos, adds flava.

DarkJello likes this.
  2. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

The problem isn't suppressed truth, its propagated lies. Too many sheep. Not enough brains.

Russia? yeah theyre bad guys. but they have to get in line.

st3ck and DarkJello like this.
  3. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

For amusement's sake, I'm going to assume that the typo here is that "flava" was supposed to be "lava."

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
    SireofSuns, st3ck, Geressen and 2 others like this.
  4. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

in each case, i expect that the action taken with the highest degree of frequency is that of shortsighted benefit attainment. i doubt a longterm cabal would last for any of those things, though it is possible someone tries to create one.

the greatest struggle of those in power is that they inevitably lose it, and someone else with completely different ideas is guaranteed to show up and destroy a lot of long-standing plans. that's among the biggest reasons a game like eu4 isn't historically accurate, it can't properly model a country under truly different leadership through the eras, where if you look at the history of the world you'll notice a lot of things that don't make sense if you think of it as a risk-like boardgame, but do make sense if you add the random human factor.

if there is some sort of global cabal, they make the world look real enough that it's dubious they make a difference

st3ck likes this.
  5. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

the cure for which cancer?

6. st3ck

You decide, this is our made up thread of pretend land.

Geressen likes this.
  7. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

well depending on the cancer it is going to be surgery, radiation/lasers, and chemotherapy.

looks like we already have the cure for most cancers if detected in an early stage... who'd have guessed...

st3ck likes this.
  8. Ragic

We know the cure for radical Islamic terrorism as well. We would just rather have it metastasize than cut out the source.

9. st3ck

So perhaps a moral obligation of protecting the sheep by way of giving them convenient lies instead of inconvenient truth?

I am not so much saying anything here is truth, but more of a thought process by which what motivations (if any) would you, or others have if presented with a dilemma of "what do you do with the following information"

Or as Geressen sort of mentioned, what barriers of release would there be? In several cancers case, high cost and difficulty, where as something like . . . a lost art of construction may be more shrouded... or something.

10. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I don't remember mentioning any of that...

11. Ragic

So instead of using vague terminology to the point of being almost incomprehensible, pick an example and let's run with it.

Inconvenient truth: a sect of the Islamic religion is an ideology that is breeding terrorism both here and abroad.

Reason for suppressing the truth: fear of mass descrimination against non radical muslims. And unwillingness of non radical Muslims to reform their religion.

Solution to problem: reform the Muslim religion so that radicals can't use its teachings to recruit and Muslim families will stop raising their children to be susceptible to their indoctrination.

See? Pretty inconvenient as will be made clear by the sh1tstorm of liberal windbaggery that is about to follow.

Bondman007 and SPiEkY like this.
  12. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

This is true and well known.

this is always what you seem to imply is the sollution except in this rare instance.

BurnPyro likes this.
  13. st3ck

I took the liberty of reading between the lines and applying what you said to what I said.

Clearly, since not only did you not say it, you didn't even suggest it. But it could be inferred.

14. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I don't know what I suggested. All of it happened in the past.

15. Ragic

The only things I remember saying about discrimination against non radical muslims are:

1) at least in this country they can arm themselves (to defend themselves against lynch mobs)

2) it would add pressure to non radical muslims that may motivate them to support a reformation of their religion.

So I guess you're referring to #2. I'm not implying that discrimination is the solution but it may result in the solution. If reforming the Muslim religion were easy it would have happened by now. But the only pressure on non radical muslims seems to be coming from the radical muslims (who chop people's heads off).

16. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

the fact that you accept lynch mobs as an actual danger to a group of humans they should learn to live with is funny.

I would add that perhaps you never notice the non-radical muslims? I have heard about a few imans that speak out against violence and extremism.

17. Ragic

Oh goodie. A few Imans have spoken out. Problem solved. The fact that you seem to think that's even close to a solution shows how willfully ignorant the left is on this issue in their desire to be pc.

18. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

sorry wait you want a reformation and those imans are reforming it what do you want exactly?

19. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

people want fast change and silver bullets, in general. it's very easy to criticize action, it's much harder to understand it or put up alternatives that go past the surface

20. SireofSuns

SireofSuns I need me some PIE!

Aastamir?

Geressen and SPiEkY like this.