What reason is there to suppress "inconvenient" truth?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by st3ck, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

im making a prediction. feel free to test it and prove me wrong.

2. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

you're right

we shouldn't put effort into it

please off yourselves instead for the needs of the many, thanks right wingers

3. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

Dating the Reformation
    Historians usually date the start of the Protestant Reformation to the 1517 publication of Martin Luther’s “95 Theses.” Its ending can be placed anywhere from the 1555 Peace of Augsburg, which allowed for the coexistence of Catholicism and Lutheranism in Germany, to the 1648 Treaty of Westphalia, which ended the Thirty Years’ War. The key ideas of the Reformation—a call to purify the church and a belief that the Bible, not tradition, should be the sole source of spiritual authority—were not themselves novel. However, Luther and the other reformers became the first to skillfully use the power of the printing press to give their ideas a wide audience.

http://www.history.com/topics/reformation

Much in the way of spiritual and religous evolution has occurred since the reformation. But we MUST push forward. Reform away says I. Merry christmas to one and all.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
    SireofSuns likes this.
  4. DarkJello

Why are you advocating for such an openly violent and bigoted final solution? Bizarre. Are you trying to say less immigration is the same as genocide?

5. DarkJello

What do you mean by "off yourselves" in the above post? Sounds like violent rhetoric. Please set the record straight.

6. Gaverion

Gaverion I need me some PIE!

I feel like you and I live on different planets sometimes. Do you actually know a single muslim individual?

I also feel like you are uneducated when it comes to religion. Jihad can be perverted to mean terrorist acts are appropriate in the same way the bible can be perverted to say you should kill someone for being black or gay. The actual meaning is much closer to "the spiritual struggle within oneself against sin" now if you are going to tell me that is not also a concept in christianity I am at a loss.

7. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

The same as this post from Ragic which you liked
    You're so unintelligent sometimes it baffles me why I continue to interact with you

charity, I guess

Then again, as mentioned above, I am policing my own group, please off yourselfs right wing nutters

8. DarkJello

You think "policing my own group" means urging and/or hoping for mass suicides? I don't believe that is what Ragic meant. @Ragic please clarify for BP.

The only baffling thing here is your violent rhetoric.

9. SireofSuns

SireofSuns I need me some PIE!

There are specific parts within the Koran that advocate physical violence, lying, stealing, and even ****, against non-Muslims. These are in the later parts of the Koran as well, meaning that they are technically the more "up to date" parts.
    In contrast, the parts of the Bible that have anything similar to that, are located earlier in the Bible. I did some research, and the short version of it is that Jesus supposedly "fulfilled the law" of the older parts. Which essentially means that he said "yo, all that old stuff isn't needed anymore, you can just listen to the new stuff" (and the "new stuff" doesn't advocate murder, ****, theft, deceit, etc.).
    A large difference between the communities of Christians and Muslims is that the majority of the Christian community expresses public outcry and acts against those that "fall out of line" with the majority ideas (like Westboro, the people that shot at Black Churches [though I seem to recall that being about racism and not religion], etc). The majority of the Muslim community is generally either silent, or actually publicly espouses the same rhetoric as the extremists.

Ragic was using a lot of sarcasm in his posts, which is unfortunate, because it makes it much more difficult to tell what he actually means. I always have to read his posts multiple times to figure out if he is being sarcastic or not.

Wait... You consider yourself right-wing??? I can only assume you're being sarcastic... (I'm also still confused as to why you have a picture of Stalin as your profile pic...).

DarkJello likes this.
  10. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Yeah because I was totally serious in mine

seriously, the intelligence or lack thereof is astounding

11. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

Burn's violent rhetoric is about as serious as his political rhetoric. He's not here to faithfully argue the position of the left. hes just here to stir the pot same as Gressen. That's fine. The real lefties don't have the stones to debate so we'll have to settle for the JV team.

DarkJello likes this.
  12. Gaverion

Gaverion I need me some PIE!

yes because when we are talking about something written over 1000 years ago 20 years between the first and last page makes a difference. Let us also not get started on the rewriting of the bible or that you are basically condemning all jews as well.

Regardless this conjecture that christians speak out against abhorrent acts and muslims don't is just plain wrong. You just do not listen to muslims. Sure it is easier to live in a bubble pretending the world is black and white and everyone not like you is evil, that is not reality. Muslims decry acts of terrorism far more than christians decry acts by christian groups. You will never hear a priest go on about how it is unfortunate that there was child sex abuse in the church or any mention of WBC atrocities or KKK actions. You will hear an imalm mention the horrible perversions of their faith that terrorist try to claim.

BurnPyro and NevrGonaGivUup like this.
  13. DarkJello

Apparently all the violent rhetoric was just a super funny joke. #LifeHack

Criticizing the intelligence of intelligent peeps is a weak strat. Your call of course.

14. DarkJello

How is he condemning all Jews and/or all Muslims?

He explicitly stated that he felt Christians speak out against terror more than Muslims. Where did u read that he said Muslims never speak out against terrorism? You correctly point out that the world is NOT black and white, but then bizarrely accuse SoS of believing that anyone different than him is evil. Where did he say that? Please prove your claim that Muslims decry terrorism more than Christians. Maybe we are all suffering from confirmation bias? A tad ironic that you lecture him on complexity of reality, and then followed that with an assertion 180 degrees different than what SoS stated. I have heard many religious leaders speak out against child sex abuse and religious extremists and racism. I have heard imams speak out against those, and many other, topics too. Kudos to all those that speak truth to power. Tech is awesome and mucho valuable.

SireofSuns likes this.
  15. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

isn't all the anti-gay stuff in the part of the bible that christians know as the old testament? if christ effectively annulled those texts, why are they still written, read, or followed by christians? by definition, everything pre-christ cannot be christian, really. why follow laws not his?

and sure, i understand that different sects of christianity go about things different ways, but i also understand that relatively few major churches in the western world allow for women to be pastors, or for gays to be married in their halls. i'm sure this is now and has been changing, it just continues to boggle me that jesus, a man purported to be about unconditional love, could spawn a religion that so often completely rejects that notion.

fun fact, a former neighbor of mine is currently the senior minister at riverside church, which i believe makes her the first woman to ever hold that title.

that happened a couple years ago, in what i assume is one of the more progressive of any longstanding american churches

BurnPyro likes this.
  16. SireofSuns

That is all such a huge discussion that is still being debated within the various American churches right now that I can barely begin to answer it. My answer would be purely my own opinions on things, which I don't know if you want that or not.

I will say that there are very good answers to all of that, but they require such a LOT of research to understand. You'd basically have to take a college semester's worth of classes just on a portion of that stuff to get a basic understanding. The reason for that is that is much less "well we have X, so therefore Y", and more "well, if you take X, and you take Y, then you get Z, which allows you to see the hieroglyphics, and then you can use those to see that the simple solution is wrong, and that you actually have to do this other thing that means that blah blah blah blah...". I took one of those types of classes, somehow passed, was amazed that the professor was still sane, and then decided I would not take any more classes like that.

Bottom line being, if you want to understand, you need to pursue it with a lot of determination, and probably become a Christian too (the viewpoint really does help to understand).

DarkJello likes this.
  17. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

1 Corinthians 6:9, 1 Timothy 1:9-10, 2 Timothy 3:2-3, 2 Peter 2:9-10 Jude 1:7-8,

Check out these new testament verses. Let me know what you think? Do these verses make it sound like the apostles who followed Christ annulled homosexuality?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
    DarkJello likes this.
  18. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

what do you mean by "annulled homosexuality?"

19. DarkJello

Believing that traditional marriage is best for society at large does NOT = hatred of gays. And even if you felt "x" was a sin, you are NOT supposed to hate the sinner. Hatred, in my opinion, poisons your own happiness and future--at a minimum.

Unconditional love, IMO, does not equal everything that a single political faction declares to be "progressive" or "traditional" or "z". No church should be forced to perform "x" type of wedding. No church should be forced to only allow male leaders or be forced to only allow female leaders.

Any church that frequently talks about being "progressive" is one I would be very much inclined to avoid. Separation of church and state should remain the ideal format. Merging religion with the state is some scary as fetch action.

SireofSuns likes this.
  20. SireofSuns

[​IMG]

DarkJello likes this.