What was the hardest step for you to get good in PoxNora, and how did you overcome it?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hfok, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Anima26

Anima26 I need me some PIE!

Still trying to find the step mate, let alone get over it. Damn i suck.

Burcho likes this.
  2. Burcho

Burcho I need me some PIE!

Same here. (lacking the confidence to play ranked + having a small kid who draws so much attention, the only time left free is when you are nearly exhausted :) is not helping)

Anima26 likes this.
  3. Bellagion

Bellagion I need me some PIE!

Learning how to hold runes when other players make wagers. It takes a lot of discipline!

Woffleet, BurnPyro and JellyBerry like this.
  4. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

I have no idea. I am the worst player ever. I don't use meta runes. I play weird bg. I spam surrenders sometimes to increase good karma in the game and give other players more positive energy so our player base will be larger.

mortal ix, Gnomes and Lushiris like this.
  5. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

I don't really give much of a damn about most people. Those that I do care about don't care about me winning or losing, I'd wager

6. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

Do you disagree that the fear of losing is preventing people from transitioning into ranked? And if you agree, then what is the reason for that fear if not concern about their 'image' in a small community?

7. bambino

bambino I need me some PIE!

I do not disagree, ,, its a big factor I think for most. .was for me at a time,, I learned not to care,, thats when I started having fun again..
    but yea. theres no getting lost in the shuffle in pox.
    "hey look at me. im in ranked,, this is my bg, and im getting my ass handed to me..,, popcorn anyone? " :)

Ragic likes this.
  8. Ragic

And if you get matched with a limited leaguer ( which is more likely with a tiny playerbase ) you just know a half dozen of the professional observer class will be watching your every move. That's a lot of pressure for a new player.

bambino likes this.
  9. bambino

it sure is alot of pressure, ,and its not just new players,,, we have so many players who've stated openly on many threads that they just cant seem to click that ranked que button, and prefer to look at games in lobby/pve and such.. (been there).. this is unhealthy for our game and we spend so much time discussing poxs problems, this is one to consider...and yet its difficult to ingame compensate for human emotion..to make a game more inviting, , rewards,
    anonymous? any ideas,,, i really would love any cuz I'm blank.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  10. Ragic

My solution is to revamp DoW to give the game more of a realm war feel. Fight for your faction and/or guild not just for your own rank. I think you need to use the world map to really get that immersive effect. So now if I have concrete goals i can work towards (like strategic points on a map), the losses might be easier to endure as I would still be realizing progression in a part of the game that 'matters'.

I also think this idea will appeal to the strategy gamers more and thus increase the playerbase which will result in more even match ups in ranked which will also make pvp easier to get into.

My second idea is to keep track of how well people do with various deck types (highlander, split, ff X faction, limited rarity, etc) and display those rankings in 'sub ladders'. Basically the same premise as the idea above, give players more reason to play ranked. But this idea rewards you for playing decks other than the current meta.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  11. Boozha

I agree, but only because I myself don't want to lose in my own eyes. I don't care about anyone else, but about my own persepective on myself.

12. JellyBerry

JellyBerry Forum Royalty

It's partly that but at the same time there is no natural sense of progression for new players. You go from tricking dumb AI to matching up against top players, there is no middle ground. Then you have people like Moles saying it's okay for a new player to lose for months before he becomes somewhat good and then wonders why people don't play ranked more often, that's without accounting the accessibility and adaptation issues. It's overall discouraging.

For me the hardest part has been trying to stop counting damage in dumb ways, such as "this many damage". It can either result in AP I could have used for something else or 1 damage off a necessary kill, so I have been trying to add up numbers more often ever since. Then again if I use units with hunter abilities and such I pretty much go back to it.

Positioning and turn planning are things with room for improvement regardless of how good you are as things tend to change, so there is that, too.

Anima26, mortal ix and bambino like this.
  13. Ultima

Ultima I need me some PIE!

Purchase runes and learn how to build decent decks. If you actually see my record I have like 200 wins and a good 600 losses :^). And I've been here since mid 06 07. I just come play for a month or two, leave for a few months wash rinse repeat.
    I also get nervous when playing high ranks, was going against the number 1 ranked dude(can't recall the name but its easy to find) and I was holding my own until I accidentally gave him the nid fint by moving my unit out, which allowed him to spawn and overwhelm me when I had the "victory" for the middle fint within grasps.

14. bambino

spot on ragic,, spot on.
    I was amongt a few others who layed out an idea for dow,,and my thinking like others was not so much to make the game better but to make people want to play more..
    fighting for yer fac/guild,, concrete goals,, just as u stated,,and everyone can be involved in a way without hurting yer faction even with a loss,, cuz even losing will produce some points fer your cause..I want to help out with something bigger then just me and my personal rank..

mortal ix and Ragic like this.
  15. fattyy2k

fattyy2k I need me some PIE!

Now I still suck, but I have gotten better by 1. Playing against better ppl than me, and 2. Watching high ranking games and doing my own analysis of them. Tons of experienced players will be willing to have learning style games with you to help you improve and some will even spectate and comment on your games

Anima26 likes this.
  16. DrSteve

DrSteve I need me some PIE!

I joined the game shortly before Heritage was released. That meant as a new player I had to deal with pre-nerf elven shade, dusk druid, condor fury, fae enchantress, and garu kodiak.

So I guess my biggest challenge was not throwing my computer out my window.

17. Woffleet

Woffleet I need me some PIE!

Same thing used to happen to me. I'd play the game so focused on just killing the opposing champions and always contesting midfont instead of actually thinking about the best move to make me kill the shrine/win the game.

18. Djangoguy

Djangoguy The King of Potatoes

The thing that made me better at the game is sticking with one BG and not surrendering early.

mortal ix, bambino and fattyy2k like this.
  19. Boozha

"So it has tough, resistance physical, evasive and SL bonus, I have amp and hunter ... that makes ... uh ... screw it, attack with everything"

Qucas, Anima26, LuckyClucky and 3 others like this.
  20. Ragic

I will say though that the earliest ranked environment I remember was pretty cutthroat. Beating someone my own rank was nowhere near as glorious as when I beat a top 10. That feeling is what addicts you. But every match can't be that. You have to have people near your rank just so you can recharge. That means you have to grow the playerbase.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015