Whats your tip for a new player?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Beruge, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Beruge

Beruge I need me some PIE!

Hello. (ps4 player)

So in most game you play you have this moment: "omg i cant believe i did not realize this before!"

So what is your biggest "omg~" and whats your best tip for a new player?

and on a sidenote:

- Does finishing story mission unlock new runes or are they locked behind forge/paywall?(meaning buying and finishing campaigns gives you more unlocks in skrimish)

- As doing some custom games vs bots i recieve different gold amounts. What makes these amounts different?

Thanks for everyone replying in advance.
    Hopefully we will fight each other soon enough.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  2. Chris

Chris I need me some PIE!

My best tip would be to watch other peoples games and get onto discord.

Get into a guild, there will be people with lots of spare runes that would most likely give you some of their extras. If you dont find one that is helpful, leave and find a new one.

I think the different gold amounts depend on how long the game lasted (more gold for more time) and achieving different mini quest type things, playing a game with a particular rune on your deck so on and so forth.

Good luck and enjoy.

3. Ballballer

Ballballer Chief Antagonist

Dodge ballballer

4. Beruge

I am sorry. Forgot to specify i am a ps4 player. so no luxuary in global chat(to see effects) or chat with in game players.
    We also lack the ability to join guilds. But beside its good advices.

But what do you mean by discord?

5. Beruge

As a new player i have to say wut wut?

6. Doobido

Doobido The King of Potatoes

discord is a pc program where you can create custom servers for text and voice chat, poxnora counts with a server, you could join and chat there instead if you're playing with a ps4

7. haroldkin

haroldkin I need me some PIE!

Not quite sure what you're asking here. I'm assuming you're asking about the rune reward that drops when you finish a campaign match. Those runes will always be from the so called Core Set, which includes the first six expansions, (Pox Nora thru Grimlic's Descent). The actual rune dropped will be of the same faction as the Battle Group you used to complete the match. So, if you used an Ironfist Stronghold battle group, you will receive an IS rune from the Core Set. Best of all, any rune from the Core Set can drop with equal chance, so Exotics and Legendaries drop with reasonable frequency.

Completing campaigns does not open up additional drops beyond the Core Set. The only thing you can change is the faction of the battle group you use. If you want Folgar Swamp runes, run a FS deck. If you want runes beyond the Core Set, buy extended boxes with gold.

8. horrible

horrible Devotee of the Blood Owl

Find a better game.

9. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Discord is a Voice and Text chat program designed for use with games. It is similar to Skype, Ventrillo, Mumble, etc. You can download it for PC but it also has mobile applications for Apple and Android. Once you have downloaded it go to the thread here: http://forums.poxnora.com/index.php?threads/new-discord-group.25821/ and click the link and it will let you join the Poxnora channel.

There is nothing wrong with losing. Pox in particular has a massive learning curve so be prepared to lose a lot at first. Personally I try to alternate between playing and observing matches. While observing matches try to predict what the playing players will do and try to find the mistakes they make. It will make analyzing your own games easier. Once you believe you have a basic understanding think about your own games after they are over and try to understand why you lost or if you win ask yourself what you could have done to win quicker. Very very rarely will you lose because of the opposing players units and if you do it is because of a flaw in your deck as opposed to something being too strong. This isnt to say that certain things can be broken or too strong but a lot of people like to jump to the conclusion that something is OP and never take the time to try and learn how to beat it.

Etherielin, haroldkin and Hierokliff like this.
  10. Chris

Chris I need me some PIE!

Some guy that used to play who still thinks hes something :)

11. Hierokliff

Hierokliff I need me some PIE!

i agree with joining discord to see chat or listen to spam talk, for info:
    http://forums.poxnora.com/index.php?threads/new-discord-group.25821/

play custom games vs bot to get 1 card + some gold 40-100,
    play pvp to get gold + tokens to train your units, dont save the tokens just use them
    try all 8 factions (allthough Ironfist Stronghold is the one to pick really)
    when bored just look in the differect faction forums for inspiration, there are alot of info there even if some might be old and wrong.

some campaigns can reward limited edition cards if you complete them in Legendary difficulty, those cards look different but are more or less exakt the same as the basic cards.

the free cards we get from doing the 8 tutorials are a good start, use them and play som custom games vs bot to get extra runes in that faction. you can do new decks with them and try to make split 15/15 runes and beat the crap out of the computer.
    If you got IS specific questions our forum is great and helpful here

12. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

dodging is now impossible. no ranked lobby.

13. Beruge

You answered it. I was assuming finishing camps unlocked the ability to get new runes.

14. Beruge

I won and lost enough in different games. It only matters if your equal.

15. Beruge

I do it alot, options provide more options. As mainly doing fs playing vs No Nora fonts grants New runes every 5-10 min

16. Regulate

Regulate I need me some PIE!

The main, most important tip for pvp play (after you've grasped the basics) is to focus on keeping up tempo on your champion deploys. A lot of bad players get sucked into a spell-exchange after the fight starts. If you just keep playing champions and not casting spells / equipments, you will beat a lot of the other beginner players quite handily.

The next, more difficult, step is to know when to disregard the above advice.

Once you've got a handle on the above, try this: https://verumvenari.wordpress.com/2016/01/26/zen-rules-of-playing-poxnora/

Etherielin and Tweek516 like this.
  17. Imba

Imba The King of Potatoes

Plenty of other people have already covered basic strategy so I won't go into that. You'll also be able to get a variety of concrete tips from other players, so what I have to say is fairly abstract. Still, I think it's equally important.

The biggest tip I could give a new player is to force yourself to think about every single move. As you get more experienced you won't rely on this quite as heavily because the correct response to some situations will be firmly engraved in your mind, but when you are starting out there is no single way to get better. If you're serious, I'd also recommend recording all of your matches and doing analysis on them later: was this the best move in this situation? What may I have done differently here? What was the main reason I lost/won?

In pox it's easy to make the most obvious, straightforward move and to not think too deeply about why you're making it. You might put some thought into calculating how much AP you need to save this turn for an attack next turn, but that all fits into the realm of mechanics and doesn't help you get better at strategy.

I realize this is a very general tip but I think it's the single most useful thing I did when I started. Every time you do anything in pox you should be able to answer these questions; Why am I doing this? Is there a better move available? Why are the alternatives insufficient? and What will the board look like 1, 4, 10 turns from now as a result of this move?

xaznsoulx likes this.
  18. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

Don't use spells, unless it will get you a kill on an important enemy champ.

19. MentalMoles

MentalMoles I need me some PIE!

Yep, the biggest tip I give new players is that you are going to lose a lot of games before you improve. There is a lot of different decks and runes you need to "expect" to be used against you and until you are more familiar with the game, winning regularly isn't easy!

Stick with it and you will improve, you'll also find that playing against better players and losing gradually makes you a much better player.

As the others say the PoxNora discord or even the forums can be a good knowledge base, i'd advise joining the discord on your phone if you don't have a PC

20. MentalMoles

MentalMoles I need me some PIE!

Thats actually a good tip, wasting nora on spells is never "usually" a good idea unless it results in a kill, or an guaranteed uncontested font capture for multiple turns

Another good tip is to go to the video section of the forums and check out some of the videos on youtube for watching some of the better players playing.

nepyonisdead likes this.