Why this revamp totally sucks (with elementary math)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LoganMkv, Jun 27, 2014.

1. LoganMkv

LoganMkv I need me some PIE!

The only reason why I had been playing and enjoying pox for all this time - amazing unrivalled diversity.
    Every match aside of drawwins was different, and champion design played very important role here.

This revamp simply kills it. I won't even touch nora costs or powerlevels, just diversity.

Let's take a single theme as an example - stitched, and count roles/tactics/utility as diversity points.

Sarinda

kept harvest
    has to choose between eradicate and decon/recon
    lost shielded and evasive, which allowed her to stay alive with proper babysitting despite being fragile
    lost death toll

Diversity: 5->2

Kiergana

kept decon/recon
    lost blast (therefore large part of damage potential and growth potential with band)
    lost shielded and LS (which were making her "you have to oneround this")

Diversity: 3->1

Anathema

kept sever
    lost energy thief (which was making her decent dueler and reaperblade wielder)

Concealer

kept early game damage potential
    lost his main role - 8 speed and harrassment with shadowshift
    lost knockout which was essential for stitched parastrike bgs and his general utility after first few turns

Diversity: 3->0 (0 cause he is currently not worth running at all)

First

kept recon (2/3 of it though)
    lost ping
    lost pact
    lost transfer

Diversity: 4->1

Hexer

kept recon
    lost drudgery

Diversity: 2->1

Lib

kept recycle and nora hex
    lost detection and portal

Diversity: 4->2

Monolith

kept sentinel
    lost essence capture (which was the trait to justify lumbering)
    lost relic guardian, reclaim and guardtower (drastically reducing combat efficiency)

Diversity: 3->0 (not worth running now)

Seamstress

untouched (woo!)

Diversity: 3->3

Shaman

kept decon/recon
    lost evil aura (very important for friendly decon)
    lost LS and evasive for staying alive (which was making him different from hexer and warlock)

Tyrant

kept augment and colossal
    lost leap and symbiosis (drastically reducing combat efficiency)

Diversity: 3->2

Warlock

kept decon
    lost charge manipulation (essential for charged bgs)

Now let's summarize: plain diversity was reduced from 38 to 15, or more than twice.
    Actual ingame cases diversity is not linear, but exponential, so it was reduced by dozens if not hundreds.

Just what the fuсk? You've reduced my (already fading) interest by such huge amount, that even releasing as much new runes as we had over all past years won't be enough to compensate.
    New players? They just won't keep interest for as long as we did (remember, it's even not linear).

I really hope owls have all champion changes in a separate branch to revert and forget it as a nightmare.

2. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Your analysis seems to say that any reduction in number of abilities is bad.

If you did not mean this, can you explain how you aren't simply advocating for ability/complexity creep, along with swiss army knife champions?

Joker, yobanchi, learnedone and 8 others like this.
  3. G_Ro91

G_Ro91 The King of Potatoes

Really confused about the unrivaled diversity and every match being different. Before the revamp, all you would face were the exact same meta driven bgs. From the 8 or so matches I have played today, I have faced all sorts of different bgs.

I do think a lot of themes were hurt from the revamp though. It seems like a lot of abilities were removed on champs that were vital to the theme. Not talking about survivability of the champ itself, but their ability to allow the theme to run as intended.

4. NFix

NFix Member

Zombie deck:

Now all the Zombie Apocalypse is gone..
    i had a decent zombie deck. only missed coraghs and now they all became epic worthless..

since they lost the Zombie apocalypse ability.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  5. Indijanac

Indijanac I need me some PIE!

Said the guy that made this problem in the first place just so he can make some $

6. LoganMkv

Yes, any reduction in number of abilities is bad.

Let's take few example cases with same stitched:

Before I had possibility for concealer rush / counterrush. Sometimes it was successful, sometimes it was a failure, but there's always been an option.
    Not now. Now I'm doomed to start with 6speeders no matter what, surrender if my opponent draws a 8speeder, and miss opportunities on big maps.

Before I had possibility to kill any tank with eradicate or death pact. I had to choose whether to use it now or leave for later each turn.
    Not now. Now I'm doomed to use spells for it, and if I don't have a spell revealed or nora to push through spellblock - I'm toast.

For each lost ability I can provide similar cases.

That's players fault.
    I've always been playing huge amount of different decks of all factions, and keeping "shoeboxed" themes which no one else plays in top. I had a dozen stitched decks alone.
    But most players are afraid to do it, they mindlessly copy and play same meta.
    Currently there's simply no meta, that's why you don't see clones, but wait for dust to settle and you'll see exactly same thing as before.

7. Sepulcher

Sepulcher I need me some PIE!

Dude seriously, you're a POS. I'd also love to know what your current employment status is if you view making a living as "make some $" like it's extra cash on the side.

8. jeeperz2

jeeperz2 I need me some PIE!

Before the revamp it was the same garbage op Bane Shift everytime if you want to talk about the diversity of the game lol. Yesterday and Today I have seen bgs and runes I have never even seen played before but I can agree revamped a little to hard on certain runes. For one stiched first is... Gone but runes like Kiergana? I am sorry did you see what she looked like before?

DarkJello likes this.
  9. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

I think logan's point is that he would have modified the champions otherwise, for example, he values drudgery on hexer above hex, and one ability isn't necessarily more complex than the other, but it happens that stacking ranks on hex and curse on the upgrade paths is much simpler than adding drudgery, and it fits the name of the champion more.

I am too dissapointed by many changes on tortuns, but I don't forget that I played 99% of my games with them and it's obvious that anychange that somebody else thought wasn't gonna make me happy.

10. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

But that was kind of the whole point. Renovators made that pretty obvious.

DarkJello likes this.
  11. Sub-Zero

Sub-Zero The King of Potatoes

What gives you the right the judge?? You're not special yourself buddy.

You come back to the forums an it's the same name calling BS from you. Shoulda stayed gone

12. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Why this OP totally sucks (with elementary math)

Loganmkv = POS (1)

<=> Loganmkv = ignore (2)

(1)+(2) = Loganmkv sucks

13. MentalMoles

MentalMoles I need me some PIE!

I think the revamp has actually increased diversity in deck building, there are a lot more viable champions now and you don't see every champion with the same abilities.

Nautilak and DarkJello like this.
  14. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

QFT.

Also, if Sep declares that one is acting like a POS then odds are VERY high that person is acting like a POS. Sorry about feelings and such.

15. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

He has the right to judge because he has a "I Have The Right To Judge Card", also see: "this is the interwebs" if confusion persists.

16. goldmonkee

goldmonkee I need me some PIE!

It's also been, what, one day? Will take time to test out all the new stuff...I wouldn't rush to conclusions about the revamp just because something you've liked in the past has changed. Keep experimenting and hopefully it'll be more fun than ever :D

17. Elric

Elric I need me some PIE!

As it stands now, there is absolutely no point in playing Stitched. Just another theme casualty from the revamp.

18. LoganMkv

It's too early to say anything about powerlevel, maybe stitched are most op theme now, but it doesn't matter cause the thread is about diversity.

I give you numbers, you give me words. So far btw I've seen less than a dozen champs left shoebox.
    Maybe you think stitched were only ones to be reduced to boring crap? Here, let's look at vamps:

(I assumed LS or LD as default upgrade everywhere since it goes to general efficiency, so maybe if certain champs would be runnable with bleed instead after dust settles, it would give few points back)

Archfiend

kept ally
    lost possible stealthpossess or extra efficiency
    lost bleed

Banshee

untouched

Diversity: 0->0 (wasn't runnable before, isn't now)

Bloodfiend

kept 8 speed (which was a compensation for fuel)
    lost creep
    lost frenzy (main combat utility)

Diversity: 2->0

Count

kept cast (which even became better, but survivability became worse, so it cancels out)
    lost fury (main role)

Tracker

kept extra efficiency
    kept tracker
    lost bleed
    lost ally

Diversity: 4->2

Worm

more or less kept combat efficiency
    lost bleed
    lost creep

Enchantress

lost bleed
    gained coven

Diversity: 0->0

Demonvein

kept leech
    lost ally
    lost bleed

Elder

kept greater vampirism (which even became better)
    kept raven form
    lost shroud
    lost bleed
    lost her only defensive ability (I haven't been counting such things, but here it's important cause she is extremely fragile for her cost and role)

Diversity: 5->2

Lamia

kept scion
    lost blindfire (wtf)

Seeker

gained bleed (but got worst range possible, so it cancels out)
    kept relocate
    kept aoes
    lost fascinatephaseshift (which was his main feat)

Soulcollector

gained dead eater
    lost bleed

Diversity: 0->0

Vampyre

kept phaseshift
    lost bleed

Demonologist

kept swarm
    kept cast
    kept imp
    lost bfn (wtf)
    lost combat efficiency

Diversity: 5->3

Magus

gained shatter (absolutely unnecessary on him though)
    kept blood magic
    kept pres+heal
    lost recharge
    lost charged attack

Diversity: 4->3

Total: 38->17
    Once again, more than twice.

19. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

^^^
    i.e. Swiss-knife champs been blasted. (No offense meant to the Swiss, and respect for performance in World Cup to date).

[​IMG]

20. stayflyazn

stayflyazn Devotee of the Blood Owl

its a bit quick to make that judgement, as the community has to find out whats going to work. it would be easy to see currently that a bunch runes suck and some will standout as being really good. in time, ppl will find good uses for the runes that seem to not offer much or maybe they'll be tweaked to have a unique use. the revamp was really only to reset the current state of the game, now a lot of the actual fine tuning can be done.