World of Warcraft

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BurnPyro, May 21, 2016.

1. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

That's a good summary of the game.

--------

I played it pretty much off-and-on since it was first launched, though much more through the original release into Wrath of the Lich King. I still play at least a month or two of each expansion after they come out (not necessarily at the release of said expansion however), level my character(s), see the zones, enjoy (most of) the questing experience. It's fun to run around doing stuff.

For me, pretty much all the people I used to play with either stopped playing or hopped to a bunch of different servers, and, as a result, I don't have the same drive to play that I once did. In terms of Random Group-finder dungeons... they feel too easy and are almost always thoughtless compared to what I was used to before. I don't know if raiding is better or not, but from what I've heard at least it's more on the "not" side in spite of the stratified difficulty levels. That might change with an organized group that I enjoyed playing with but, like I said, I don't have the drive to play like I used to; and that includes looking around for a decent group with a schedule I'd be able and willing to follow.

It's probably better this way. WoW when played "seriously" can be great fun but also a huge time killer, and there are a lot of things I want to experience and do with my time these days.

By the way, with talk of "new MMOs" you might consider looking into Tera. Still more grindy than WoW (might get worse later as well, I never got that far into it myself) as you'd expect from it, but the combat system is much more fun, and the questing isn't really that much worse from what I recall. Plus it's still getting regular updates.

I wouldn't say it's better overall than WoW though, and certainly I like WoW's aesthetics more personally (if not fidelity).

*shrug*

Up to you.

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  2. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Sounds like how I think the game plays.

I'm at that stage now where I have to decide just how much time I wanna spend playing this. Or rather, how much time I don't want to spend playing other games. Not sure. I'm bored of most other games. Just HS and a few matches csgo per week. League is just for premade teams for me now. Not really doing much with my single player library on steam. But I've got a pretty addictive personality and I doubt grinding WoW would go well. Although it seems so ridiculous to grind WoW, so much hours grouping and Bane Shift just to get one item. Dunno, who knows.

But since I'm working atm and I don't really wanna take time off, I don't want to spend too much time on it. Meh.

How old are you btw ohmin? Not sure if I asked before or if I just forgot.

3. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

ohmin's like mid 90s

4. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Then you may wish to stay away from the Pokem- er, "Pet Battler" aspect of the game. It's a fun diversion to mess around with and break up the monotony, but if you ever feel the need to "catch them all" (let alone try to train them all) prepare for your time to vanish.

5. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

much younger than I thought he was

6. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

The only MMO I played for more than a couple months was Eve. The others just didn't hold my attention.

7. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Played WoW for way longer than EVE. EVE just gets horribly stale when you aren't into the whole "cause drama to have drama"-thing.

8. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

lord of the rings online is better. and freer. and doesn't have pandas.

9. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

You say that like it's a good thing.

10. Saandro

Saandro I need me some PIE!

I started in late 2006, early 2007. Just before TBC was released. Played on and off till Early Cata. Then I stopped because the game was getting worse and worse. It all started with the ToC patch if you ask me. Where one circular room passed off as an entire raid tier and invalidated the previous two tiers. And I remember when I queued with my low lvl warrior for Scarlet Graveyard once in Cata. We had a rouge, who stealthed at start and went till the end. While we were clearing the first trash packs he killed the boss solo and left. Player characters are so strong compared to normal mobs today. There is no challenge in the game left, except for the heroic raids. Or maybe higher idk how many difficulties they added. And from what I've heard most realms are ghost towns nowadays. People just sit in one place (garrison or city) and wait for queues. In the past everyone was running around the world.

Even though I dislike what the game has become I think it can still be fun if you haven't played it yet. Atleast for a while.

11. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

From what I get, there's different levels of difficulty for raids. The first one is supposed to be super easy. Perhaps that was that? Not sure when it was implemented.

Mind you I'm lvl100 on a rogue and my druid is like 14. Not like Ive been doing sick Bane Shift yet.

12. Gorebucket

Gorebucket Forum Royalty

WoW is alright. It's fun in some ways but I didn't find it to have long term appeal for me. Also tried Guild Wars 2 with similar results. I prefer turn-based games anyway.

Dofus (lame name aside) is pretty unique in offering Pox Nora like combat in MMORPG form. I've spent more time on that game than I care to admit.

13. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I tried WoW and EQ2 and I liked EQ2 more, but not enough to pay for a subscription. I had a Troll Paladin that I was using. I liked that race and alignment weren't completely tied together in EQ2, you could switch sides if you wanted to, but only with a lot of work.

14. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Soloing the lich king on hard mode after so many weeks of torturers wipes back in the day just kinda took the soul out of the game for me. Now with LFG, LFR, Garrisons etc, you don't have any social aspect to the game. You don't need to know anyone or be a decent human being and make others like you.

That's what I loved most about playing EQ at release in 1999-2004. You could spend a couple days getting your character to level 7ish killing snakes, bats, spiders, skells and the lowest class of orcs, at which point you had to use your social skills and become part of the community or go away.

It was brilliant.

15. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Some of the most epic memories I have of EQ is when a guild (sometimes mine) wipes deep in a zone. Because of corpse decay, everyone on the server knew how important it was to get them back ASAP. So you'd reach out to the leaders of other guilds and within an hour there'd be dozens of people showing up to help. The fact that many servers independently developed rules and guidelines for raiding contested mobs was also extraordinary.

I also really liked EQ2's original crafting system where you needed products from other crafters to complete items... I'd come home from work and have a mailbox full of orders and the community was fairly tight knit because you needed people you could count on to deliver your sub-parts. Unfortunately they removed that and made everyone independent and now you all craft in the same room but never talking to each other.

16. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

lower guk took the coordination of many different groups to break a way in, keep the hallways cleared then ration out the camp spots. you didn't get pissy with your group and run a random spawn into the middle of them otherwise the whole dungeon would blackball you.

17. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

I camped my first FBSS in a seniority group for 35 hours straight...

18. Qucas

Qucas Guest

Wow was fun at the beginning (for me, BC) but then I would take time off and when I got back my friends either quit or jumped servers. Played Warlords but not sure if I will play Legions. Didn't raid or do dungeons in Warlords, because my guild has pretty much disappeared.

19. Poxpoints

Poxpoints I need me some PIE!

As a PvP player the only 2 expansions I enjoy playing are Wotlk and Cata.

I used to play on Molten before (for those familiar with private servers), and got pretty well known on their instant lvl 85 PvP realm. But Molten sucks and after their meltdown I decided it was time to move on.

As of such I'm now playing on an amazing private server called atlantiss wow. It's basically blizzlike at the moment (so you will have to lvl up your toon, for those only interested in PvP).
    The server has been growing a lot and developers are improving the server on a pretty much daily basis (which is insane for a private server).
    Now I'm helping my old arena-partner lvl his toon, and after that we plan on playing some arena again (although not as competitevely as we used to play).

Cheers,

Josh753

20. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

I loved arena, my highest ranking was only 1850 I think, though =P. I joined a 2200 2's team, but I didn't do that great (we never got farther).

how do they improve the private servers, @Poxpoints ? do they rebalance or add content?