Yeti BG Advice

Discussion in 'Savage Tundra' started by Solarplight, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Solarplight

Solarplight Member

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  2. Hiyashi

Hiyashi I need me some PIE!

There have been a couple of threads about yetis in the past, if you feel like it you can dig through them: http://forums.poxnora.com/index.php?threads/yeti-bg-discussion.7909/
    Some are trying to utilize the Fear aspect of the yetis, though judging by the example you provided that's probably not the style that you chose.

I'd probably run something like this if I played yetis: http://poxbase.com/deck/CgvckkC39cg7CadCglC9UCtlc6uCgzS3ms19S2LS13s4Vr1_r3yR2urI

Pricy optional runes
    Tundra Whisper: For more spread magic damage because ghosts are annoying. Can be replaced with some magic yeti.
    Nohkan Guide: Having cheap Motivate is neat, but not required. Can be replaced with anything yeti.

Stuff that you probably should run
    As I understand it Keeper of Memories is the backbone that holds yetis together. You'd likely want a second of that.
    Also Yeti Icelord is very decent and has a relatively low market value.
    Risen Yeti is c
    heap, easy to get and pretty powerful.

Stuff that you probably should not run
    Threads of Ice

KingJad likes this.
  3. doubtofbuddha

doubtofbuddha I need me some PIE!

http://poxbase.com/deck/CgjCgvc39CadCglc8MCgkCtlc6uC86s7@s3ms19S2LS13s4Vr3dr30R3yrI

This is the version I am running. It is a bit more fear-focused, but works okay (I think...) even against bgs that have Iron Will.

As Hiyashi mentioned, the Keeper of Memories is a strong piece that ties the battlegroup together. You do not need him to win, but having him, or even better both of them, out smoothes the path to victory. Yeti Icelord is also nice, both because he is really tough to take down personally and also because he provides a global CiP buff. You also really should be running 2 Shaman for Swap awesomeness and 2 Rumble Stones for being generally good and great in Yeti.

A lot of the units roles are self-explanatory, but the Curate is kind of interesting and perhaps worth discussing. She usually ends up alternating between healing dropping her AoE and serving as a source of Abominable. I don't really end up engaging with her much unless she is going to help ensure the kill, because despite adequate stats she is mostly a pretty effective support unit. The combination of healing + AoE makes her a better option than druid or sorcerer.

Netherzen likes this.
  4. Solarplight

Solarplight Member

Thanks for the advice guys.

5. Netherzen

Netherzen I need me some PIE!

I generally play fw and a little bit of stitched,i don't really have any interest in protectorate factions but i liked the concept of yetis ever since the yeti in the old ps2 game gladius.I thought i give yetis a try,i bought a st avatar and made a budget bg,i do plan on adding keeper/icelord when i can(but it probably wont be any time soon).I could use any advice regarding the bg/playstyle,here is the bg:
    yeti.jpg

6. doubtofbuddha

doubtofbuddha I need me some PIE!

Netherzen, how is the Yeti bg working out for you?

7. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

In my view, a yeti bg can be built with different levels of fear. Calisk was the first one to make a fear based yeti bg, it is amazing against non fearless BGs with quadruple unspeakable and multiple fear sources(feel free to change, it's just my personal version of it):

http://poxbase.com/deck/c24CgjCgvC39CadCglCtlc6uC86s7Ks7@s3ms19s7bs2Ls13sNs6fr3dr3yrIe2PeH

It relies pretty much on annoying your enemy with fear, while spiking his champions with heretic and shaman, and doing some heavy bruising job with everyone else. Not my favorite because I like only yetis in a yeti BG, but can't deny the power. You can also fit a tracker, it is a very solid champion by himself; I didnt put him because I wanted to make it somewhat cheap(although it doesn't matter a lot when you have keeper). Also I chose not to use curate or shaman so that you can focus on overwhelming your enemy with all kinds of fear you have at hand.

You can also "ignore" the fear mechanics(because that's not really possible in a yeti BG), and try an approach more focused on making your yetis soak a lot of damage through continuous support:

http://poxbase.com/deck/CgvCwkcadCglc8MCgkCqNc6uC86cgzs7Ks7@s3ms19s7bs2Ls13sNs6fr3dr3yrIe2PeH

This is similar to my own BG, but it gives the player a bit more freedom. You can Exchange sleeping yeti and conqueror with any other yeti you deem tanky, that's the tank slot. You pretty much put mirrored shield on one of them( on apostate vs prot works wonders), and nuke with spells and ranged attacks from behind. If needed use cloak(I personally don't use it, but put there as convention), and use all the heals you have at hand. If needed you can stealth capture a font with tracker, or defend your own font with him, he's pretty hard to take down 1 on 1.

One important detail, don't forget to use abominable. It is extra damage, very underrated by most players I watch, even that noob @calisk . With 4 yetis out it already means +3 dmg per attack, so it shouldn't be ignored when you can use it with a champion that won't miss those 2 ap. Of course you shouldn't use it when you plan to use non basic attacks like Howl, or (very important) attack a frightened champion with Yeti Shaman. It is a bug that doesn't stack abominable's damage with psy warfare, so don't use abominable unless you have so many yetis out it deals more damage than 150% of shaman's damage.

One last detail, if you use Keeper(he's cool but not really 100% auto, you can make a cheaper yeti BG without him and do well), do not let him die without using Unleash at least once and getting a lot of nora, that's his true value.

Any doubts or critics feel free to ask.

Netherzen likes this.
  8. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Just dropping by to say this is not accurate. Maybe if you said "first one post revamp to make...".
    Yetis bgs were pretty popular when Fang and Fur got changed, and it was a blast playing them in a Fear module bg like you explained above (although games vs FW etc etc etc).
    Just a heads up.

9. Lushiris

Yea my bad, that's what I meant.

10. ItsQtotheT

ItsQtotheT The King of Potatoes

11. Netherzen

Netherzen I need me some PIE!

Its was crappy when i started,but its pretty solid right now after some cping and getting some experience with it.Its not a highly competitive bg but it can hold against bgs that dont crutch on broken runes.This is the current version:

yeti.jpg

Yeti cub is a very good champion in a yeti bg because of guarded:yeti.Halberd relic is also pretty solid because it solves block/dodge/elusive/nokhan do/blinded/blizzard cloak and maybe something else i forgot.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  12. Lushiris

Yea I don't use the cub out of preference, I don't like guarded on him because he's a bit squishy and yetis have no reason to stay together(although he is amazing for contesting with retreat 3), but Halberd is auto in my BGs. Didn't put it because it's not exactly meta right now, but just because of crown on Juya.