You didn't watch the presidential debate last night

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BurnPyro, Sep 27, 2016.

1. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

She is not as informed as I (think/claim to be), but some things came up.

I mean, as far as I can tell, Rs favor EC cause it favors them, Ds don't cause obvious. Good luck passing changes.

Real talk here.

I dislike both candidates. I hate clinton cause she's just a power hungry towel that isn't passionate about anything except the paycheck and the power. Go back to the 80's. She doesn't give two damns about the people "I'm with her", self centered ****.
    I dislike Trump cause of what he had to do to win this election. Is that really him? Who knows. But Trump university and others showed that he's not the kinda guy I would like anyway. Does he has some sensible policies? Sure, not war hawkish, infrastructure etc etc. But he's still the guy who lies and twists stuff every two sentences.

Like American politics is so messed for a number of reasons. Mostly cause I'm european. But than again, both candidates had insanely shitty dislike ratings (wasn't trump the most unfavorable ever at 63% at one point? and hillary at what, 50ish %?). I'm glad Trump won in the way that it will shake things up. If he does well, hey good for you guys than you might actually change the washington corruptness cause people will keep voting for someone who they perceive to be an outsider. If Trump ****s it up, well, you know.

Still bummed that dems voted over Hillary instead of Bernie. Pretty sure stuff we'll find out just how corrupt Hillary was at some point in the future. One can only dream

I'm repeating myself for the sake of repeating myself.

I have a habbit of doing that, apologies

DarkJello and Baskitkase like this.
  2. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Yeah. Typically metro area are dem, rural repub. So pub no likey a system that enhances dem chances and marginalizes their voters.

DarkJello likes this.
  3. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I am not convinced EC favors R and vice versa. I could be wrong, but I feel like since 2 of the 3 of the largest states (Cali and New York) lean Democrat (and often by huge margins), and only Texas goes the other way, it means that more R voters are actually disenfranchised by the system.

It'd be a mistake to assume that without the EC, voting patterns don't change.

This is tough to figure out tho, and at the same time, established behavior can be hard to change (and information doesn't always disseminate, particularly to more rural areas). So it's hard to say what a change will actually do, especially in a short-term scenario.

I don't expect it to change, but I expect it to be an issue again in the future, and with 2/3rds of Americans typically favoring getting rid of it, it's possibly a matter of time before something changes (not necessarily to National Popular Vote, but something). For the most part, government lags behind what the people on average wants by 2-3 election cycles, we have seen this with various issues like gay marriage and marijuana legalization, etc.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  4. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

All the ignorant right wing nutters will die at the exact same time that all the ignorant left wing nutters die.

Anyone who says the science of globally changing weather is settled, is the actual enemy of science. Skepticism = epitome of science.

http://louderwithcrowder.com/top-5-climate-change-myths-debunked/

5. DarkJello

Trump voters do NOT have time to protest or riot, because we are too busy working and studying and raising our kids.

We would have said mean things on the interwebz, and then gone back to our duties. No riots by us from 2008 to 2016.

Baskitkase likes this.
  6. Sokolov

One thing to keep in mind also that even with the EC in place, the rural/urban divide is a problem for the Rs long-term, and it's not as clear cut as some would have you believe.

Already it is the case that 80% of the population is considered "urban" so if those people really leaned Democrat they'd be winning all the time, but that's not the case. The nature of politics also means that it trends towards competitive - even in parliamentary systems we see shifts and swings in power for the major parties over time - nothing stays the same and those in power invariably gets ousted as people want "change."

7. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I thought people voted for trump cause they had no jobs cause trade agreements shipped them overseas

ya what

8. Sokolov

Trump supporters don't "riot," they just take over federal lands and wreck the place.

BurnPyro likes this.
  9. Sokolov

Tangent:

But are you aware of how the civil rights movement and MLK was viewed in his day?

upload_2016-11-15_13-59-59.png

In fact, most of the same things said about BLM and "social justice warriors" are similar to things said about them.

They were seen as "dividing the country." And making things up and creating problems where none exist. That the status quo was good. And "negros should take responsibility for their own problems"

etc. etc.

Conservatives have a long history of regression and maintaining the status quo in the name of "traditional values." And that's what the Trump campaign was all about - undoing all the social change of the liberals so they can go "back" to the allegedly glory days of America (even Ragic said as much). Why do you think white supremacists and racists supported Trump?

As I said before, those aren't the ONLY people who voted Trump, but they are definitely part of that coalition.

NevrGonaGivUup and BurnPyro like this.
  10. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

how dare they put the human race above dirt

why is it the left wants to save the planet for future generations but they could care less about the debt? the answer is they don't actually give a crap about future generations. they just love the planet more than humanity.

Baskitkase and DarkJello like this.
  11. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Uh yeah "science"

MYTH: Rise in CO2 is dangerous and can directly be traced to man-made emissions.
    TRUTH: CO2 isn’t a pollutant. Most of the rise in CO2 is coming from natural sources.

What a joke. Sure CO2 is largely produced by natural sources like cattle etc. But there's more cattle than ever before cause more people eat meat than ever before, ergo man did play a role in it.

And just because CO2 is "coming from natural sources" does not mean it does not pollute. Like seriously, "science". There's people that know way more about it than me, so feel free to add, but just skimming this looked like this guy has minimal understanding of the whole situation but adheres to an audience that wants to hear semi scientific things to re-assure them that their petty world views are correct and that they can continue to do dumb things and not feel bad.

And honestly

MYTH: The Ice Sheets are MELTING AWAY!
    TRUTH: Antarctic Ice Sheet is growing by billions of tons. Also FAIL: Scientist That Predicted Ice Caps Would Melt in 2013… Now Claims 2016?

the scientific community didn't claim this, just one, but idiots like to look at this and go "HEY LOOK THIS ONE GUY WAS WRONG ERGO ALL SCIENTISTS ARE WRONG WE DONT NEED NO INTELLECTUALS"

downright intellectually pathetic link

NevrGonaGivUup likes this.
  12. Sokolov

Science = Taking the facts/data/observations about the universe and drawing conclusions
    Science = Willing to change your mind when new data presents itself (Note: Cruz uses the fact that climate models change as an argument against climate change, fundamentally misunderstanding how science works, because, after all, he's the Chairman of the Science Commitee, so it's only fitting he doesn't know how it works)

Science != Being skeptical of everything and refusing to draw any conclusions whatsoever

NevrGonaGivUup and Geressen like this.
  13. Sokolov

Geressen likes this.
  14. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Cruz his dad walked out on him at age 4, then saw the light when son became succesful and is now a preacher who believes climate change is a hoax because "the bible says so".

The fact that religion > science on scientific matters to some people is just mindblowing. Then again, I don't get religious nutters at all, so theres that

15. NevrGonaGivUup

NevrGonaGivUup I need me some PIE!

Humanity needs a planet to live on.

16. DarkJello

17. DarkJello

Says the guy without an advanced degree in a scientific field.

I know many master's degree and above scientists that literally laugh at all the climate histrionics.

Non-sensationalistic scientists are making steady progress r/t climate and pollution, and I support all their efforts. You can smirk now, but we will win the future.

18. Sokolov

Being found not guilty of conspiracy to interfere with federal employees is relevant how to their destruction of federal property?

And I guess Clinton is also not guilty of anything at all by your definition? She wasn't even charged!

BurnPyro likes this.
  19. Sokolov

Or maybe we can just live on a pile of money.

20. Sokolov

Incidentally, how do fiscal conservatives feel about Trump's probably spending 5 trillion dollars?