You didn't watch the presidential debate last night

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BurnPyro, Sep 27, 2016.

1. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

@Comissar You publically chastised me for being smug and rude, but look at BP's post above. Sok has literally called a few of my recent comments "shitposts." He is the big fish in a tiny pond. The sad thing is, Lefties here have usually been more kind and tolerant than most that I have observed over the last handful of years. C'est la vie.

It is true that I need to communicate in a more neutral style. Very difficult standard to meet when the other side frequently and openly screams virtual insults, but I shall work to improve. I appreciate your last few posts. Thanks for not giving up on me.

A small and vocal minority constantly shared reasons why Trump had a legit shot to win the "white enchilada", starting in the summer/fall of 2015. Those voices continue to be twisted and/or ignored by the MSM. Thankfully, we carried the day big league on social media. We flanked the MSM, as it were. At this very early juncture, it appears that the MSM has NOT adapted to the new reality. Twitter is shutting down some "alt right" leaders, but they will just flow to the next platform. And if Twitter pushes too hard, it will go the way of the dodo. Freedom of speech will flourish.

I am not an expert on global climate change, and Trump is PEOTUS so it is no longer a top 3 political issue in America. Time will tell, as it always does.

super71 likes this.
  2. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

BurnPyro likes this.
  3. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Act One of a Recent This American Life is an interesting listen particularly for those outside of the US (@BurnPyro, et al) to get an understanding of the immigration issue:
    https://www.thisamericanlife.org/ra...0/will-i-know-anyone-at-this-party?act=1#play

Note that this is, of course, liberally slanted, being TAL/NPR, etc. and of course it doesn't describe ALL conservatives/trump supporters, but I still think it's an inside look at a certain perspective of the anti-immigrant movement.

(At some point I want to talk about where the pro-life movement seems to have started too. I feel like in both the pro-life and the anti-immigrant case, part of it is the political forces dividing the country purposefully for their own gain.)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
    BurnPyro likes this.
  4. Sokolov

I realize that phrasing is harsh, but your posts do leave me incredulous sometimes to the point where I swear you have to be trolling, as I can't explain the attitude any other way. But perhaps that is a failure on my part.

Incidentally, I do feel like you talk a bit like Trump sometimes, which I am sure you will take as a compliment, but there's this... grandiose manner with which you speak, making what appears to me as wild claims without real evidence (or else ignoring context).

You then often close your statements wishing people well in a condescending manner or some other snide sounding remark, as though we need your blessing to survive or something, while the rest of your sentences show contempt for anyone who dares to hold you accountable to the things you post and the opinions you share. We are under NO obligation to believe what you say without question - and questioning you and asking you to justify your opinions seems perfectly valid as a way to respond. If you want a platform to just spout your opinions without any pushback, make a blog and turn comments off or something.

You post "5 myths debunking climate change" and I challenge the evidence presented and get... nothing as a response.

I mean, maybe you really are GOD and know what is best for us, but it's sure damn frustrating listening to you because it doesn't feel like we are having a conversation, but rather you are telling us sheep what we should believe - and then you either get upset when we don't follow suit, or you just ignore us, while "liking" posts that are just trolling and not discussing the topic. I mean, am I wasting time responding to you?

Of course, I am sure some people would say I come off that way too, so maybe we are both just arrogant bastards.

BurnPyro and NevrGonaGivUup like this.
  5. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

What global catastrophe? The fact that you ask that question shows that you're buying into the doomsday assumption. These same people were also predicting that solar flares occur once every hundred years or so strong enough to knock us back into the Stone Age. This sort of 'science' does not merit federal funding. And I would argue that a country that has citizens living in poverty and has trillions of dollars in debt does not have the 'wealth to save the planet'. That is where the anger is coming from.

If you really want to know what's going to kill us all it's an asteroid. If you want to help save the planet, buy a telescope and help look for it. The only reason the greenies aren't on board with this is because it doesn't help further their REAL agenda.

DarkJello likes this.
  6. Sokolov

This is absurd. The chances of an asteroid impact killing us is relatively small. The chances of an amateur spotting an asteroid with a store bought telescope is basically zero. Even if we find one, the chances of us being able to stop it is also small - especially by the time you can see one with a commercial grade telescope.

This isn't a Hollywood movie, this is real life.

By the way, what do you think Reagan and his administration's "real agenda" was when they were warning about climate change (or global warming, as it was known back then) and starting negotiations/talks?

Geressen and BurnPyro like this.
  7. Ragic

Global warming affects the oil industry. It's a geopolitical hot potato. Secondry motives abound on all sides.

And if there is an asteroid on course to hit the earth the probability is 100%. It's been hit before you know. And all those circles on the moon..... yeah. We aren't searching for them nearly enough. And of course the telescope suggestion was tongue in cheek (are you really that humorless or just pretend to be when it suits you?) There is no call to action for the masses, that's why the left isn't interested in it.

8. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

That's largely why I stopped posting on these forums, too many know it alls that turns out they know very little. Too many insults and little facts to back anything up, which is typically what liberals are best at.

DarkJello likes this.
  9. NevrGonaGivUup

NevrGonaGivUup I need me some PIE!

He didn't know you were joking about the telescopes because you have a history of saying outrageous things without any evidence or understanding of the topic.

On asteroids:
    Most asteroid craters on earth and on the moon are very, very old- from a time when there were a lot more asteroids in the solar system because planets had only formed relatively recently.
    Any small asteroid is burnt up when it enters our atmosphere - asteroid impacts on the moon are more common and devastating because the moon has very little atmosphere.

Also, NASA is constantly monitoring the solar system for Near Earth Objects, finding 30 every day. http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=6664

They even set up a neat asteroid watch calendar. http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/asteroids/widget/index.html

Cool side note- NASA has a Planetary Defence Coordination Office. They got this.

I found all this with a few quick google searches. Your concern over asteroids is probably from watching too many disaster movies. "The left" (and the right) isn't interested in it because it's not a likely threat. Climate change is something that's actually happening, and we can take steps to prevent it, without leaving poor people to starve.

Geressen, BurnPyro and Comissar like this.
  10. NevrGonaGivUup

NevrGonaGivUup I need me some PIE!

I love how you added a sweeping, general, baseless insult to liberals at the end. This is either extreme hypocrisy or advanced sarcasm.

Geressen, BurnPyro and Comissar like this.
  11. Ragic

They don't 'got this'. That near miss a few years ago caught us by surprise. We would have not been able to stop it. And if one is found today what is the plan to stop it? Just theories. You're far to complacent about it. Or maybe you're just a........

Asteroid Denier!

DarkJello and SPiEkY like this.
  12. Sokolov

This is too good not to respond.

Do you even read these threads???

Anyway, this is coming from a guy who has literally said in threads that he is not interested in discussions and just wants to vent his opinions, and chastises me for trying to bring facts and data into discussions.

Yea, the problem is "liberals."

13. Sokolov

NASA currently spends... $50 million a year looking for asteroids. The European Space Agency and NASA are currently planning a mission to smash an 800m asteroid as a test:
    https://www.nasa.gov/planetarydefense/aida

NASA also already has a congressional mandate to find larger asteriods deemed dangerous to earth, and the vast majority of these have ALREADY have been found:

[​IMG]

Even the scientists doing this research has said money is not the answer, they just need TIME.

Can you explain what you think should be done that isn't already being done? I mean, if you can show me evidence that we are actually being complacent I am willing to jump on board - it's certainly a POTENTIAL concern, but it seems like it's already being addressed adequately to me.

Geressen likes this.
  14. DarkJello

15. Ragic

I haven't made a call to action. Unlike you guys I'm not selling anything. I just mention it to offer a more realistic alternative to those who seem to need a doomsday scenario to keep them up at night.

16. Sokolov

You claim we are being complacent, therefore you imply that we aren't doing something we should be or we aren't taking the issue seriously enough.

That's what the word complacent means.

Geressen likes this.
  17. Sokolov

Anyway, as I said, it's a potential issue, but I am satisfied with the current level of effort towards that issue.

I am not satisfied with the current level of effort towards climate change - particularly since much of the American political machine seems not to even want to entertain the possibility that it exists.

This isn't about "selling" anything. It's just my opinion based on what I believe to be the facts.

Geressen and DarkJello like this.
  18. DarkJello

Trump says he is pro legal immigration.

SPiEkY likes this.
  19. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

His opinion is: Don't vote for the one you agree with, vote for the lesser evil.

That is painfully anti-democratic.

He also claims liberals would have put Trump into the white house, which may have some semblance of a similarity to something remotely reasonable, but is mostly idiotic. Trump voters put him there.

Also, Burn said Baskit was a reasonable and respectable person. Srsly, Burn? He isn't, he's a nut

20. Sokolov

1) I am not sure why you replied with this, the podcast isn't about what Trump believes
    2) The podcast is about the sentiment the showcased people have towards Muslim immigrants (largely legal) moving to their area (mostly they want control over what happens to their towns, including whether immigrants are allowed in, this is my understanding based on their own words)
    3) Trump says a lot of things, and often contradicts himself, how do we tell which to believe?
    4) While perhaps not specifically immigration, Trump has also said he wants to limit temporary work VISAs, which has Silicon Valley concerned since a lot of their talent comes from there (many of these people eventually become citizens, so it's a path to legal immigration)