You didn't watch the presidential debate last night

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BurnPyro, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

trump represents the 'crazed right wing of the republican party' ? do you even watch the videos you post?

DarkJello likes this.
  2. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Pretty much:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More generally, Americans, particularly conservatives, have a fascination with being the underdog or rebel - it's also prevalent in other forms of media like movies, etc.

From my observations of conservatives, there's often a desire to drive the narrative that their views are being oppressed, that they are in the minority, that they are the only way we can save the country - all this fits right in line with the idea that if you are a conservative, you are fighting the good fight against the corrupt, evil government. And if you disagree with their views, you must be a brain-washed sheep who can't think for themselves (because the rebels see the truth and will save everyone).

If you are paying attention, you will see this narrative being pushed over and over again. It's a compelling one - who doesn't want to be the hero that saves their country, right?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
    Geressen likes this.
  3. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Are you saying Trump strikes you as a moderate Repulican?

Geressen likes this.
  4. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

This shows quite a disconnect. I can explain if you'd like, but basically Fox is right leaning, the rest are left. As far as printed, radio or internet, it really doesn't matter but there's enough of them it would be hard to separate.

SPiEkY and DarkJello like this.
  5. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I mean, my middle is probably just here

|​

and yours is there

|​

Since there's no way to really talk about it this other than what we believe is left right and center. There should be a graph for this.. ay

edit, Firking forum doesn't recognise spaces, now pretty please?

6. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

I get what you are saying, degrees of position? But honestly, if you really hear commentators like Van Jones on CNN, or MSNBC... any of them Chris Matthews, Rachel Maddow etc. My comment was referring to the major ones, Fox, ABC, NBC, CNN, MSNBC etc.

Here's a fucboi graph for you pulled from here, also more info:
    [​IMG]

DarkJello likes this.
  7. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Yeah, it's all about perspective

sexy graph though, thanks, sweet information

8. Sokolov

More viewership numbers for the major networks:

[​IMG]

Haven't found good data for online stuff.

9. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

I saw that picture, but it doesn't say what bias those channels/sites have, it just says what their readers identify as.

Which may be related but is not the same.

Geressen likes this.
  10. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

It also isn't internationally embedded. Using it as if it were objective scale is just demonstrative of Americocentrism and Ignorance.

Geressen likes this.
  11. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

12. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Hint: the viewers, or customers, go where they will find the product, or "lean", they most agree with, be it one or multiple offerings. Liberal viewers are not going to pile onto a conservative-leaning news station.

DarkJello likes this.
  13. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

ok let me rephrase what badger is saying:

the graph based on the data collected by asking americans where they believe on a line from left to right a news station is in regards to bias is not objective and probably based on american views.and thus in itself biased.

do you agree, yes or no.

14. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

That's not quite right. The viewers are asked what their political alignment is, and what news channels they watch.

While many will watch something that suits their alignment (as baskitkase says), that is not the full story.

Many will watch something for other reasons (they like the format, presenter, whatever).

Many may not have thought about politics but become politically aligned because they watch a particular channel.

It's not the same.

Edit: that's what I read it as anyway.

15. Sokolov

People normally don't want to identify themselves as extreme - most people like to see themselves as more moderate than how others might view them. The scale is useful as a way of understanding how people view themselves, but it'd be a mistake to misconstrue that data as what the news sources or the respondents actually are.

That said, I'd argue that most of the sources are likely to be MORE biased than the data suggests, so for the purposes of simply illustrating which sources lean in which direction, it seems useful, but I'd question its validity in terms of distance from the center.

16. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

Yeah that.

17. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

I get what you are saying, and those viewers definitely exist, but for the most part, people are going to watch stuff they want to hear (agree with, vs disagree with) - speaking on politics. Lean doesn't matter on non political news.

DarkJello likes this.
  18. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

broad view on politics? I don't know.

19. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

don lemon the god?

20. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

DarkJello and SPiEkY like this.