garin

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TheBulwark, Dec 14, 2014.

1. TheBulwark

TheBulwark I need me some PIE!

That was exactly my point, pariah is not about making him cheaper nora-wise, its about avoiding all the bs. It takes no skill to run a rune that can get evasive three for every free aoe it casts and has cd 0 and has combat awarness. Then on top of it people start casting everyspell known to man to make him even more OP not to mention equipments. Pox please

2. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

what about working your opponent's nora (i.e. going for font contest or making him deploy a champ so he doesn't save too much)

3. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

Really, the problem isn't with Garin, it is with his ability Scythe Whirl. It is effectively the same a Blast, but with no CD, lower AP cost, and a strong defensive component. Blast currently costs 20 nora while Scythe Whirl costs 12 nora. Just as Hawk Attack needs to be changed so does Scythe Whirl.

Edit: Oh yeah, unlike Blast, Scythe Whirl by-passes defensive mechanics like Evasive and Reflexes.

Edit II: To be clear, I think Blast may be a little over-priced at 20 nora but Scythe Whirl, as is, should be much more than 12 nora. I'd say making Scythe Whirl cost +1 AP and upping the cost some would make it more balanced.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
    Ballballer likes this.
  4. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

Blast is too damn awesome of an ability to cost that much nora.

5. MovnTarget

MovnTarget Forum Royalty

A little overcosted? It's way overcosted.

SPiEkY likes this.
  6. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

When was the last time you got rocked by a Bloodtracker or a Nefari Reaper? Static ability costs on different range champs is where you should point your finger. Like DoTs being the same on range champs than melee while being obviously superior. I feel like that's been brought up a thousand time.

If Garin somehow became the epitome of the superchamp (LOOK AT THEM STATS) then yeah, maybe Pariah is the answer.

But let's ask the right questions first.

7. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

I do believe the problem is the ability. As you mention, though, simply upping the cost would be bad for the other champs that have the ability. As is, there is almost no reason to ever use the basic attack on a champion with Scythe Whirl, which seems odd.

8. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Do not try to discuss balance with Xirone. Hes a cool guy and I love him, but hes pretty bad at Pox. Just saying.

9. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

Except the Nefari Reaper, who has Life Siphon, which only procs off of basic attacks.

Xirone likes this.
  10. Sirius

Sirius I need me some PIE!

Imagine Scythe Whirl on progressively higher range champions: 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 4-5, 5-7 etc. . It gets very scary, very fast. What makes this ability so great on Garin is the max range of 3. Perhaps even moreso than most abilities, Scythe Whirl should be costed according to the interaction with the champion's own range and other abilities. So yeah, as has already been stated, the problem is with the internal synergy, not with the ability in a vacuum and many abilities shouldn't have a static cost.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Vote Kanye 2020

Vote Kanye 2020 Better-Known Member

Is Garin even a problem? Everytime I play against one it just seems to be alot of wasted nora for a mediocre champ that more often than not, loses them the game.

12. bioalchemy

bioalchemy Member

you forgot sp/ud shrine kill with helm of chaos. my fav

13. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

with staff of ascendance or crown his range goes up to 1-5 or 1-7.

to be clear once staff of ascendance triggers you can remove it and keep the buff and apply it again.

in one particularly drawn out game where he would stealth around picking things off my opponent had him up to 1-9.

1-7 range scythe whirl is pretty comical.

14. Sirius

Sounds like too much effort, but it might be because I don't know how to play with Staff of Ascendance properly. I'd probably just "settle" for 1-5, which is already kinda bonkers imo.

15. calisk

well in st/sp you can put staff on and on turn 5 shatter and equip a crown on it for instant 7 range.

for the most part it takes 6 rounds and just requires you to keep it alive for that long which is often fairly easy since it stealth's.

after which you pretty much always have permanent evasive and reflexes, bounty hunter, combat awareness, 1-7 range aoe for 0 extra ap, you usually hit in the 30's with bounty hunter. stealth, etc.

if you go for the multiple staffes you will also full heal every 5 rounds with rebound returning it to the dock for recast, and you can cast healing hands/shield/ blizzard cloak if you ever feel worried about it dieing.

if you think the nora investment is too much well that's just how super champ decks work, these decks are weak to rush but can't be beat in late game short of hard counters like forbidden fruit+mobil, and will easily remove 3-4 champs a turn unexpectedly which can swing the nora advantage back in their favor.

16. MovnTarget

MovnTarget Forum Royalty

The problem with super champ decks v is not so much the champ as it is the accompanying runes.

Super champs come and super champs go, but the superchamp makers tend to stay the same.

Except for last stand.

17. RedScarlet

RedScarlet I need me some PIE!

I always love my VP. Nuff said?

Grintmaw Bouncer + ToV + Tactical manual + RD + Zealotry

Beats me, its unkillable.
    *casts VP, gg*

18. Sirius

ftfy.

19. calisk

in st/sp he would have shield you can't vp him.

every super champ deck worth it's salt has an answer for targetted spells