Extended Set Packs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by spineyftw, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Sirius

Sirius I need me some PIE!

Yes it does.

1) If your own luck is an observable phenomenon/tendency, then you can plan around it/to account for it and it's therefore real.

2) Hypothetically, if you were to increase the amount of guaranteed Exos, that would mostly just ensure those with bad luck are not firked. 1 Exo in 10 packs IS kind of low, considering the time it takes for someone to gather the gold. Imo.

2. Lauremoon

Lauremoon I need me some PIE!

If that's a joke, I lol'd. If not... Well, I would have lol'd too.

But whatever, if you have real bad luck, just buy boxes. At least the minimum is 1 exotic. And you get a free pack!

3. Sirius

Sirius I need me some PIE!

No, it was not a joke. Think on it.

The point I was making is that while boxes may be better than packs, the overall package deal is not that much better; it makes it tempting to just find another game where I am rewarded more for the time invested.

And then there's also the difference between going "ooh, a pack!" every ~1.5 days versus "yes, finally a box!" every... whatever long it takes you to get there.

Another thing to consider Lauremoon is that it takes me longer than it takes you to buy a box because I don't play as much. Nor do I think I can. I'm only going to get busier and busier from now on. So it's a question of "do I wanna go for the extra gold from daily skirmishes, or do I actually wanna play?". Because the dailies are pretty much just a grind filler that doesn't register as fun game for me, the way PvP does. I do always get the PvP rewards so that's nice.

Lauremoon likes this.
  4. Lauremoon

Now that's a good point of view.

I agree that a regular, tiny reward is better than a not-that-regular bigger one.

How many times I have to say this?: new players NEED runes. Cheap ones. All commos if you don't want people to exploit it. But seriously, this whole "Pay 1k gold, get an untouchable deck" is driving so many people away.

IMAGIRL and Sirius like this.
  5. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

I haves suggested before that:
    • The Core Set become free to all.
    • Extended gets broken up into 2 box sets. 1 being the Maljara trilogy. The other being everything else, other than the Core Set.
    • Faction specific packs, and boxes be a thing. (Gedden has stated on a video before that he has already priced them.)

Sirius likes this.
  6. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- The model is supposed to make you make hard decisions and ultimately entice you to "pay or play". The dilemma your describing "ugh I want a box but a pack is easier to get...but a box is worth more...wat do?" is intended and been a part of marketing since anything was sold "EVER".

- Sam's club vs a convenience store... I don't have 40 dollars for 9000 rolls of toilet paper and I dont want to drive across town....but I also don't like paying 5 dollars for 1 roll of toilet paper from the convenience store... It's designed this way, its not an oversight. It's not supposed to be easy and cheap.... or hard and expensive. It's typically expensive and easy and cheap and hard.

bambino and SPiEkY like this.
  7. Strings

Strings Devotee of the Blood Owl

It's almost like... you're paying for the convenience of the store.

SPiEkY likes this.
  8. Morfeas

Morfeas I need me some PIE!

My problem with extended (always box never pack) is that it is waaaaaaayyy too broad in what it offers. I've heard others mention it before and I agree that it should be split into 2 or even 3 sub-sets.

Valkyr likes this.
  9. spineyftw

spineyftw I need me some PIE!

Rune-less? Did you quit or something? I just started playing again after a couple months and I haven't really seen you around the forums.

I think building your collection from scratch would be interesting to watch.

10. Morfeas

Morfeas I need me some PIE!

Oh wow look who's alive.

11. Thbigchief

- cray cray....damn you 7-11 and your overpriced nachos...nom nom

12. Thbigchief

- Can I givez U runeZ?

13. Legato

Legato I need me some PIE!

Love you for the offer bb.

I'll try to see how far I can get with no external resources used. Should allow me to provide some valuable feedback.

I'll take a recommendation on where to start though, heh.

14. Thbigchief

- Alright mang, word on the street is budget witch (meta with covens) or budget Draksar (revamp and recent changes to regen etc make them efficient) will give you the most bang. Will be cool to see how the F2P model starts off... in a perfect world it would start you off running then slow down to help make you buy something with that game itch. Keep us posted.

p.s. Hit me up if you hit the f2p wall...I can slide you the witches. As for draksar? eww on your own.

15. Lauremoon

Yes and no.

That BGs can be used anywhere (even in ranked) but you can't modify them. The runes don't even belong to you.

They are more like a "try this kind of BG at low price, then decide if you like it and get real runes" thingy.

16. Valkyr

Valkyr The King of Potatoes

You don't buy them. You "unlock" the right to play with them :rolleyes:

17. spineyftw

spineyftw I need me some PIE!

Update: Just bought two boxes and 7 individual packs. Got two exos....two trash exos to make it worse.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  18. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

Me personally i don't think i'll buy another box until i am guaranteed something good. I bought i believe 3 extended boxes like 2 weeks ago and got x2 phase spider and a magma elemental. Out of all the runes in the game how the Firk did i get 2 of the same exo ?

It's not worth it either way anymore because the rune drops are so completely random. They either need to do faction specific packs or decrease the amount of expansions per box, or something similar to urban-rivals where you can pick from all the factions and choose 4 and the runes you get are from those factions.

19. StormChasee

StormChasee The King of Potatoes

That's what I did over the last month. I bought 2 packs early on using the in-game gps and didn't get one rune in the faction I was after. That was disappointing so I continued playing the public deck in the beginner campaigns until I got enough runes to complete the bg. I then played that bg through the beginner campaigns at increasing difficulty to get more runes and sort out what I wanted in the bg and what was extra. I saved the gps to get the avatar.

Are the theme decks worth the price? I'm up to about 20k gps now.

I think it would improve new player interest if they could get enough runes to get a bg more quickly.