When you deploy a Legendary

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Revengercm, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Revengercm

Revengercm I need me some PIE!

Do You feel powerful? A common could be stronger than a legendary champion but even though it's stronger idk why it feels way better to deploy the legendary. You have worked for the legendary but it may still be a bad champ and it feels so powerful to deploy him. I kind of like full legs/exo bgs just for that reason. Anyone feels like legs and exos bgs are always cooler than commons-rare?

2. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Nope, dgaf what it's rarity is.

Goyo, Anima26, Qucas and 4 others like this.
  3. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

I like playing with lots of LEs, 'cause they make me feel rich, but if I'm actually seriously playing, IDGAF what rarity it is, if it has the stats/abilities I'm looking for that turn

Qucas likes this.
  4. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

I expect legendaries to have better art.

That's it.

19madfox95, Goyo, mw24 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Ozariig

Ozariig I need me some PIE!

Rarity makes me feel different things at different times.

On the battlefield, I'm more concerned about champ interactions and nora costs. I think there was more bragging rights when champs had bases that indicated their rarity. LE reskins are still cool though -- in fact, I'd prefer more LEs to be visually different from their Legendary versions (I'm looking at you, Angels and Doombringers).

When I'm building a BG, I only care about rarity is when I'm cross-referencing Poxbase and the Rune Forge and seeing how far my shards can take me.

But when I'm acquiring runes for the sake of collecting them, then getting a new Legendary feels awesome. Commons, Uncommons, Rares, and even Exos to some extent barely register -- there's just too many of them out there.

6. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Rarity annoys me because I gotta pay more to get my BG done. Otherwise I don't care.

7. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

Art and Sprite*

You know what, i would also expect that legendary to be at least fun to play, not op but fun/different.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  8. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

I actually feel that this whole "rarity doesnt equal power" made the game worse in a way.
    Because if you dont have a standard/ceiling on what is super powerful (like Legends/Heroes), your common ends up being as powerful, and suddenly the game is powercreeped to oblivion and balance goes to space.
    I know people "feel" this should be a thing because they think that making the legendaries more powerful would equal to the game being P2W.
    And even though this was true for a long time, because the only way to get said legendaries was to either pay for them or trade for them in stores in exchange for a kidney or two, with the introduction of shards anyone can have any legendary they so choose.
    Point being, I do think Legendaries/Heroes should be more powerful than the other rarities. Just look at HS, they do that and I personally see no issue.

9. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Didn't the game powercreep because SOE made rarity = power?

Sunnydays likes this.
  10. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

So to avoid powercreep lets make a couple opchamps so we all know what the limit is?

11. Bellagion

Bellagion I need me some PIE!

HS legendaries have unique effects, not necessarily powerful ones. Which is good, imo. Millhouse Manastorm, Lorewalker Cho, Nate Pagle, "this time for sure!" guy, Gazlowe, Mistcaller, Capt Greenskin, and others all say hi.

12. Ozariig

Ozariig I need me some PIE!

Whenever anybody starts talking about "rarity = power", I gotta bust out the EC video on the topic.

To quote, "If one card has cost X with power Y and a rarer card has cost X with power Y + 5, you've screwed up. There are no interesting decisions to be made there, and you've undercut a lot of the benefit of the evolving nature of play."

What you actually want is for thematically powerful runes to feel cool and epic to play with. Unique abilities can have interesting and powerful effects, so long as they also have severe drawbacks or vulnerabilities, perhaps which can be mitigated by other (less rare) supporting runes. That leads to what EC calls incomparables, which is where all of the interesting decisions are to be found.

Again, Hearthstone does this well. But keep in mind that minions in HS have a far lower lifespan than champs in Pox, and board-wipes/hard counters are pretty easy to come by. So they've found a formula that works pretty good for them, but Pox's will end up looking a bit different.

Sokolov, themacca, Netherzen and 3 others like this.
  13. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

I like deploying lots of Legendary runes because green is my favorite colour.

Pedeguerra, Anima26 and Bellagion like this.
  14. TeaScholar

TeaScholar Better-Known Member

Heroes are remembered, but Legends never die.

15. potatonuts

potatonuts I need me some PIE!

Looks to me like they did that by including more Leg/Exo than C/UC

16. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

I used to feel guilty for playing with lots of exos back when i thought exos were cheap shots. because i used to rage about all-exo decks when i was a noob.

now idgaf about rarity and hardly notice it.

17. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

[​IMG]
    Whatever...

18. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

TeaScholar and Saandro like this.
  19. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Which is basically what Pox has always typically done as well. The problem is that in a tactical game, you can only go so "unique" before it is crazy. This is why the really unique cards in many cases are either considered OP or shoebox or gimmicky (things like Zeven).

Yep, unlike a pure card game, where any card can be dealt with denial/removal, etc. and the power variance in a tactical game tends to be lower.