Cheese Fries is/are back on the menu!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sokolov, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Which is correct?
    1. Cheese Fries is back on the menu!
    2. Cheese Fries are back on the menu!

2. Ozariig

Ozariig I need me some PIE!

I'd say the second. One could argue that "Cheese Fries" is a collective noun allowing the use of a singular verb, but I would expect it to follow the same conventions as the noun on which it is based, "Fries", which is clearly plural. Therefore a plural verb should be used by the principle of Subject-Verb Agreement.

I feel like I'm about to get trolled. Am I getting trolled?

3. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I seriously don't know the correct answer.

4. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

2nd imo

5. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

and realistically speaking, regardless of which you say, only ******** will really care

edit- i accidentally deleted my post except the last line, oops

the basic gist was that they have separate meanings, the 'is' one meaning that the item is back as an orderable feature of the menu, the 'are' one meaning that you have fries on your menu again

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  6. Bellagion

Bellagion I need me some PIE!

Number 2 is correct.

7. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

The way I see it, Cheese FRY isn't back on the menu, cheese FRIES are.

8. Bellagion

Bellagion I need me some PIE!

The only circumstance in which #1 would be correct is if "Cheese Fries" referred to an item which was actually singular in nature. If someone made a movie called Cheese Fries, for example. Since you're saying they're on a menu, I don't believe that would realistically be the case in this instance.

9. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

but it is singular in nature, and here's why- when you tell someone what you're ordering at a fast food place (i imagine), you probably give numbers for how many of each item you want. if you say you want 3 cheese fries, that doesn't mean you want 3 fried potato shavings with melted cheese *total*, it means you want 3 orders

the item being on the menu is the order, and when you discuss it it should thusly be in reference to the singular order of cheese fries (which are hopefully plural if you're counting them, but the order itself is singular)

darklord48 likes this.
  10. Atherhog

Atherhog I need me some PIE!

I'm with Dagda here.

If "cheese fries" is the name of the dish, then cheese fries is back on the menu

or

If "cheese fires" is used as a description, then cheese fries are back on the menu

darklord48 likes this.
  11. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

you could also skip the debate and say "we've got cheese fries back on the menu" or similar

12. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Me want a cheese fries naw, because they is very gud.

13. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Animal Fries from In n Out *heart eyes*

14. Vote Kanye 2020

Vote Kanye 2020 Better-Known Member

The latter of the two.

15. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

The menu item is called 'cheese fries' not 'cheese fry'. A menu item is singular. And 'cheese fries' is ordered singularly not in multiples. You could say 'I'll have a burger and a cheese fries', short form of 'an order of cheese fries'. People do say 'I'll have a burger and cheese fries' but I would argue they are not ordering specific menu items by name but rather just describing the food they want.

If they say 'burgers are back on the menu', this is also correct because they are probably referring to more than one burger item. Now if they refer to a single item 'the Big Burger' then they would say 'is back on the menu'.

So the only way for 'cheese fries are back on the menu' to be correct would be if they offered more than one kind of cheese fries.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  16. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

According to the Cambridge Dictionary of English Grammar (descriptivist) nouns which naturally describe groups can take either a singular or a plural verb form and still be grammatically appropriate. I think the second sounds better.

Boozha likes this.
  17. doubtofbuddha

doubtofbuddha I need me some PIE!

I asked some of my editor friends and most of them agree that the "Is" version is correct.

18. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

kaasfrietjes is terug op het menu (wrong)
    kaasfrietjes zijn terug op het menu (correct)

alternatively :
    Kaasfriet is terug op het menu (correct)

friet is also plural, but I doubt fry is in english.
    your second one is correct.

19. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

The first one is actually correct, since the subject is a singular item (you do not order multiple individual fries).

In conversational English, either would be acceptable. Since the goal of conversation is clear flow of information and ideas (as opposed to correct grammar), the 2nd could even be a better choice.

On an English exam, definitely go with the first.

IMAGIRL and Dagda like this.
  20. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Well svrew your editor friends then. It's clearly inferior