Gale Force doing 36 damage

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by horrible, Apr 21, 2016.

1. horrible

horrible Devotee of the Blood Owl

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but does it not seem a bit ridiculous that Gale Force can easily do 36 damage with the correct positioning? I can understand 21, but 36 seems a bit excessive.

Osidan and super71 like this.
  2. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Nerf Gale Force and Electroaodsiaduosudn

Alakhami likes this.
  3. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

shh if you keep talking sense people will grab their pitchforks, best to post like your on eggshells. In all seriousness though gale force has been broken for so long it's a miracle it hasn't been removed form rank entirely yet. The damage is one thing, being able to cliff units, and put opposing units out of position has always irritated me more than the damage. I think the base 6 damage should just be removed entirely and let the knock back effects do all the damage.

Kampel likes this.
  4. defypain

defypain The King of Potatoes

becareful guys Lushiris might see this post

5. NevrGonaGivUup

NevrGonaGivUup I need me some PIE!

Getting the 36 damage "gale sandwich" isn't very easy, it requires specific positioning that takes deploy order into account- and even then it still damages your own unit for 15. Gale is one of the most skill-intensive spells in the game, and has extremely varied applications, but they can all be counterplayed by spacing properly. Avoid cliffing by not standing 3 spaces away from a cliff, or saving 1 ap so the champ can catch itself.

Valkyr and Pattn199 like this.
  6. super71

Getting the gale sandwich also isn't extremely difficult either, otherwise it wouldn't be talked about as much as it is. I say just knock off the base 6 damage and leave gale alone.

7. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

JS guys. if gale force ever hits for 36 damage you done fuked up. even 21 is difficult to do unless you are willing to take the hit for friendlies.

Pattn199 and Goyo like this.
  8. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

*Lands successully*

Thank you, I needed this coming from a FW player.

My point in defending gale is that there are spells there are cheaper or at the same cost which have higher damage potential, and are way easier to pull off. And unlike most spells, there are quite a few ways of countering Gale other than spell counters. It's a spell that not rarely can be pretty much useless, as things like map and enemy abilities may make it very hard or impossible to cast for the desired effect.

It can deal a lot of damage and also helps setting up kills, but for some reason people think it's impossible to go against, and it's not. Unless you make a mistake and give your enemy a very easy gale, the odds are that he'll also damage his own champion to try getting a kill from you, or will overextend with a champion to get spell presence(with non flying champions at least, that's even more noticeable if the target is a large champion). The fact that it's a versatile spell doesn't change the fact that several other spells can deal as much/more damage or allow a kill with much less setup.

Its appeal is simply that it does a few different things(and not many spells are like that), but none of them are among the best ways of killing champions in Pox, just the best ST has(along with Swap).

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
    Pattn199 and Goyo like this.
  9. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

I like this one, if it were to be nerfed then taking its base damage away and leaving the "skilled damage" intact would be the way to go, imo

super71 likes this.
  10. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

lushiris post about pvp dont matter. game needs a lore/art forum for lushiris and other player that dont know jack about pvp but want to contribute to the game.

lushiris could prolly make really cool lore or art, maybe.

11. Karmavore

Karmavore MEDIUMALLTIME

Good show, sir.

12. yobanchi

yobanchi I need me some PIE!

I like the idea of having it just be the knockback with no extra damage... seems cleaner.

Alakhami and Kampel like this.
  13. horrible

horrible Devotee of the Blood Owl

Yea, because it's soooo difficult to summon an ice block or barrier with either of two different champs of the same faction. Give me a break.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
    Alakhami likes this.
  14. super71

Not gonna say another moment where I hit the nail on the balancing head, but I did.

15. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

The two examples you gave are actually hard to pull off. First because ST only has one champion with each of these abilities, second because they're ranged and have to get pretty close to use such abilities so you're able to get a sandwich.

The easiest way for me is very specific but pretty simple, gale into Yeti Ancient and get the HP back with Lifedrinker. I rarely get a sandwich out of it, but just the 21(15 vs IS) may be enough given the situation.

Your suggestion doesn't strike me well, but maybe that's the zealot in me talking. However, it would be much better than increasing the spell's cost. But again, nerfing ST's only high damage spell sounds like a very wrong way to go, and that's not because I play the faction - it's a matter of fairness. Where you guys see an OP spell, I see ONE strong spell in a game where all other factions have more than that. It's not the vanilla idea for balance, but it makes sense to me.

16. yobanchi

yobanchi I need me some PIE!

The mention of Fairness sounds like zealot talk to me.

What are your thoughts on the FW bonus?
    *queue beating of dead horse*

super71, Qucas and BurnPyro like this.
  17. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

Gale Force requires skill? Hard to apply? For reals? All forms of knockback have been ridiculous at all times, all champions with slam have been nerfed numerous times. I honestly think at this point there should be more ways to access unstoppable.

super71 likes this.
  18. Vorian

Vorian I need me some PIE!

I definitely think Electro should be nerfed its Firking BS! Gale force I am not so sure about...

19. heroex7777

heroex7777 Lord of ST

A clean 36 gale with non damage to your own units is super easily avoidable. Don't put 2 of your units next to a wall next to each other.
    A sandwich gale does 21 damage to the ST player's champion therefore only a 15 damage net. This is avoided by standing next to a wall.
    A 21 damage non damage to your own units is avoided by standing next to a wall/relic.

There are other mechanics that set up a good gale like slam, gravity well, etc but those can also be avoided if you use some common sense.

10/10 no good st player has ever been galed against with much success. If you know how to use it, you know how to avoid it.

20. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

instant kill stuff like this should probably be nerfed but they havent even got the decks to a decent state so i wouldnt expect any major progress in this area anytime soon.

lightning rod, hammerstrike bane blast, drown, essence drain, mindslicer boomerang, pygmy hippo, etc, etc.