Comments on Profile Post by aseryen

1. aseryen
    aseryen
    Looking at Lich they have a lot of Legendary runes; this is to introduce new abilities/mechanics and is usually the norm to put new things on rarer items. It can just as easily be said that common runes are just as deserving of unique/new abilities because of their accessibility, in turn increasing the amount of interactions with that new mechanic. Thoughts?
    Oct 3, 2016
  2. IMAGIRL
    IMAGIRL
    2 exo, 5 rare, 7 uc, 9 c, 1 leg
    Oct 3, 2016
  3. aseryen
    aseryen
    wouldn't it be 3 exo following your pattern of -2 per increase rarity?
    Oct 3, 2016
  4. IMAGIRL
    IMAGIRL
    No. If you look at the patterns of each release. They typically include 1 exo, 2-3 rare, 5-7 uc, and 7-10 c. (Of course the more recent expansions have limited the numbers...)
    Oct 3, 2016
  5. IMAGIRL
    IMAGIRL
    In most cases tier systems are x2 so you need 2 commons for a uc, 2 uc for a rare so on an so forth. If you want to have an at least 1 legendary then it should look like this:

1 leg
    2 exo
    4 rare
    8 uc
    16 common

I just limited the lower ends to make it more feasible.
    Oct 3, 2016
  6. IMAGIRL
    IMAGIRL
    I dislike the current releases as they have been diluting rarity worth by not sticking to a tier'd system of release.
    Oct 3, 2016
  7. aseryen
    aseryen
    Ahh, in that case its completely arbitrary. Especially considering that the forge doesn't apply to the x2 to increased rarity. Commons need 4 to forge an Uncommon and Uncommon need 10 to Forge a Rare. Pox has created it's own system for how Rarity valued.
    Oct 3, 2016
  8. aseryen
    aseryen
    Also I was wondering based on theme, not Expansion release, which may take into consideration Sharding values and what not. This could span the course of several Expansions. Alla Lich
    Oct 3, 2016
  9. aseryen
    aseryen
    I like that they've limited the number of runes they are releasing however that has a negative effect on how often themes can get fleshed out.
    Oct 3, 2016
  10. aseryen
    aseryen
    SOE days they just liked to show off that they had some sort of system on lock that created champions. It's really not that hard. Most stats are choosen with a d6 and Fudge roll.
    Oct 3, 2016
  11. IMAGIRL
    IMAGIRL
    Ah, in that case. Don't worry so much about rarity diversity. Just make each rune unique, and focus on having a place and purpose for each one. It's fine to design a rune, but if it doesn't fill a role, or provide reasoned interactions then the rune might as well not exist. Design to your hearts content mate.
    Oct 3, 2016
  12. aseryen
    aseryen
    ? I'm not following what you mean. The formula you suggested isn't even for Pox. I've played plenty of games that have tier systems and they work just like you said but Pox doesn't.
    Oct 3, 2016
  13. aseryen
    aseryen
    Also most tier systems that follow the formula you suggest grant uniqueness to the highest tier, which also confused me as to why you mentioned it being so rigid and incremental. I'm just lookin for clarification.
    Oct 3, 2016
  14. IMAGIRL
    IMAGIRL
    Pox used to do this. During the Octopi Era, and early SOE they preserved rarity diversity. In addition, exotics back then did have unique mechanics, or design that they could pull off. Even if that designed was done by say a UC, the Exotic could achieve it better. That's what made it unique.

Recently Sok has brought back Exotic uniqueness, but rarity has still been diluted to the point that it's meaningless.
    Oct 3, 2016
  15. aseryen
    aseryen
    Ahh makes more sense. I was going to say cause Spirit Harvest is a Leg ability, but that's doesn't limit it's design to Leg runes. There could be a Common rune design that makes use of both Phylactery Bound and Spirit Harvest, however it would in now way have the presence of Genesis Lich. Something like that? I didn't pay much attention to rarity until DoGs got it cause idt SOE used it effectively.
    Oct 3, 2016
  16. aseryen
    aseryen
    Actually I think each era has done pretty well for most of the flak that they get. It's always been the case the pox needs more or should have done this, but I've always felt the devs deliver in one way or another. Regardless of ownership.
    Oct 3, 2016
  17. IMAGIRL
    IMAGIRL
    ^ Agreed.
    Oct 3, 2016
  18. aseryen
    aseryen
    Ok cool. How do you think themes get addressed per expansion? Is it that rarity is given to themes and the unique abilities are because what is designed for that expansion? Like with the Player made Expansion, how was rarity addressed with the community? Since I missed that process I feel like I'm missed on how things are made and valued as a whole.
    Oct 3, 2016
  19. IMAGIRL
    IMAGIRL
    I believe Sok said somewhere that themes in need get identified and worked on in that way as necessary.

Rarity for themes is a bit of a moot point. (A long rant about this, I don't really care to elaborate atm.)
    Oct 4, 2016
  20. IMAGIRL
    IMAGIRL
    Rarity wasn't done by the community for the playermade expansion. You were to design your rune, and suggest an appropriate rarity. But the final decision was to be made by Sokolov. On top of that, while players suggested rarities; I saw no peer review discussion on rarity as the topic.
    Oct 4, 2016
  21. aseryen
    aseryen
    Good to note, I think the rant is more or less just kind of laying the floor for what Rarity can be or should be expected to look like, and I'd leave that to Sok and the devs best discretion. Should be pretty interesting what comes out of the expansion.
    Oct 4, 2016