About treefolk

Discussion in 'K'Thir Forest' started by vitor, Jul 19, 2015.

1. vitor

vitor The King of Potatoes

They seem like a really interesting theme, but I have read they are weak.
    Are they that non-viable? Also, can someone link a Treefolk BG please?
    Seems like a diverse way to play =]

2. Elves Rule

Elves Rule I need me some PIE!

@Gorebucket
    They recently got buffed with commander/boost/defender all in one theme, and greenhouse is still insane, but tanglefoot is still bad. They seem to be either mass summon focused, or some melle stuff + super range multiattack 18dmg launcher.

3. Gorebucket

Gorebucket Forum Royalty

I see the Commander/Defender/Boost thing as a lateral change, though it could just as easily be interpreted as a nerf.
    Treefolk were buffed in other ways though, mostly through build adjustments that repair previous alterations.

Pros:
    • Treefolk can gain roughly the same stats as before the change*
    • Most of the extreme nerfs have been reverted
    • Champ based anti-lumbering has returned
    • The nora cost of the buffs are spread out among multiple units
    • Now Plants, Druids, and some other types can be buffed.
    Cons:
    • It takes at least 3 specific champs to gain a bonus previously provided by 1 champ.
    • The Damage increase is less accessible than before, being limited to a single champ
    As a whole, the theme seems viable. The Surge portion has been largely immune to the theme's fluctuations and being able to mobilize the Lumbering ranged units easily is of immense value. The focus now should be on restoring the units that have fallen by the wayside to viability, namely Tanglefoot, Spikewood, Fireoak, and Dragonbark.

Tanglefoot was a glass cannon, now he's just glass. I supported the removal of Flurry, but he kept Pariah for some bizarre reason and his damage was not increased to make up for his vastly reduced output. This leaves him as a low damage, low health unit with no defensive capabilities who can't be supported by abilities that target him, including the theme's most effective healing. He needs to be supportable and/or physically stronger and/or a stealth unit (he is a Rogue after all).

Spikewood is sandbagged by Equip: Seed. The 25 nora he's paying for it leaves him an expensive champ with pitiful stats and no abilities with impact. Even his trademark ability (Nature's Connections) is on upgrades competing with the ability that brings his stats from pitiful to below average (Domain Vegetation). He used to do everything, now he does nothing.

Dragonbark's trademark ability shoeboxes him. He would be awesome without it, even if he continued to pay the 8 nora for absolutely nothing. What does that say about how the Dragonbark ability is holding him back? He could pay more nora for it and not start as a relic, just have a chance of being ressurected, like Firemaw. Or he could cost half what he does up front and pay the other half whenever he transforms into a champ. That would work too.

Fireoak is borderline. Its only the combination of expense with awkward movement and low base damage that makes it unattractive. Like Dragonbark, his restriction does a better job of keeping him off the battlefield than it does of making him unique and interesting.

* Boost 3 was +3 Damage, +1 Defense, +6 Health. Commander, Defender, and Boost combined is (+2 Damage, +2 Defense, +5 Health)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
    Krokodil and vitor like this.
  4. Elves Rule

I figured it was a buff, seeing as all the other themes that got changed don't have access to all of them now even if they did before cause of boost. It wasn't a buff to us, it was a nerf to most people except us.

5. vitor

vitor The King of Potatoes

Do you guys have an up to date BG?

In terms of mid or late game, in which part is treefolk stronger? Late?
    I really like lategame decks. Also, maybe it sounds silly, but using vinetouch pedestal are strong champs viable? Maybe Bliss?

Also, any of you willing to trade a bloodbinder count for some treefolk? xD

6. Elves Rule

Yes, treefolk are 100% lategame all the way. And personally, I don't have a good treefolk deck right now. But so you know, there are 3 ways to do it: mass summons + wood elemental + anything else with surge, or big lumbering guys who you take root in key positions, or the D'elim aspect, where you spam summons and kill them as much as possible. Generally by your own hand.

vitor and Gorebucket like this.