Anyone ever think of drilling a giant tunnel under the rockies and filling it with turbines?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by st3ck, Dec 13, 2016.

1. st3ck

st3ck I need me some PIE!

^^^w^^^^w^
    ^^^Rockies^^W^^^
    wind-> [===x==x==x==x==x==x==x===] windddd---> (or maybe <--)
    giant tunnel filled with wind turbines

If blowing air across the straw in my drink has taught me anything, it's that the drink in the straw moves up above the level of drink in the glass.

Should work with the air pressure differentials from the west side of the rockies to the plains right?

All we would have to do (lol) is tunnel some 70-300 miles eastish to westish under the Rocky Mountain range, fill that tunnel with turbines, and hook it up to the power grid.

Besides inital upstart cost and potential cave-ins, should be "unlimited" energy that decreases in cost as time goes forward.

*Scientific diagram not drawn to scale

2. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

i can safely say i have not

BurnPyro likes this.
  3. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

4. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

semi-related, how do we feel about trying to convert parking lots into solar producers as well as temporary car storage

5. st3ck

6. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

seems more practical to just layer a bunch of solar over the top of your standard open-air parking lot, instead of trying to get solar panels to function as roads

7. st3ck

The way I worded what I said makes sense that this was the response. But your response was what I tried to say in way less words.

But roads that ARE solar panels would be cool. Although I guess in pretend future land where we can build roads as solar panels, we aren't using the roads much because flying cars or something.

8. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

9. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Woosh?

10. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

all a turbine does is spin a magnet surrounded by wire to generate an electric current. isn't the earth already a spinning magnet? all we need to do is build a wire in orbit that circles the earth.

on a more serious note, im more bullish on a room temperature superconducting material. its only a matter of time. iow, we don't need a better turbine, we need a better wire.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016