Artillery Strike bypasses Enigma Shield

Discussion in 'Bug Reporting' started by Dolcebrodude, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Dolcebrodude

Dolcebrodude The King of Potatoes

This could be intended but doesn't seem that way from Shield's description.
    Recreation:
    1) Tortalleon Gunbattery standing behind opposing shrine (at least 8 spaces away) uses Artillery Strike so the aoe covers a Primordial Enigma.
    2) SL turn passes, Enigma doesn't move.
    3) Start of next Tortun turn:
    [​IMG]
    (and the trigger description is broken probably)

This might have to do with the Battery not being considered the source of the damage or something.

2. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

This is WAI - though I certainly understand why you might think otherwise.

When an ability deals damage directly, the source is the ability - whose source is the champion.

In this case, the ability does not damage directly, instead, it creates an overlay effect on the map and it is that effect which deals damage.

So there are 2 reasons why Engima Shield wouldn't trigger in this instance:
    • the source is the overlay effect - which doesn't get linked back to the champion in the same way that lava generated by a champion is no longer sourced to the champion
    • the source is the overlay effect - thus the DMG is happening at RNG 1

Capitulator and Dolcebrodude like this.
  3. Capitulator

Capitulator I need me some PIE!

@kalasle This might be something to keep in mind for your rules list. Overlay effects aren't tied to their source champions, but AoE attacks are.

From my understanding AoE attacks are always immediate so if an ability/spell has a delayed effect then it will be coded with an overlay effect instead.

Also, overlay effects are not terrain modifications. E.g. Tendril's of the Deep has an overlay effect to cause entangle on exit -- this will persist even if the terrain effects are removed. No doubt coded this way because terrain modifications cause effects on enter rather than on exit.