Basic Attacks and Activated Abilities

Discussion in 'Training Grounds and Game Guides' started by OchiK, Dec 16, 2014.

1. OchiK

OchiK The King of Potatoes

So as I'm sure everyone knows there are abilities that trigger or revolve around basic attacks. Yah know that little 3 ap costing thingy the majority of champs have that goes up by 2 ap when used.

My question/confusion is that there are also activated abilities that count as basic attacks and unfortunately there are ones of those that are worded in such a way that you don't know if they count as a basic attack or not.

A prime example that's floating around is the NKD darling Khong Monk equipped with a reapers blade. The monk has an activated ability called rapid attack which hits the enemy 3 times, each hit counting as a basic attack at 50% damage. Reaper's Blade gives him 0 damage and soulstrike. Soul strike dealing 25% of the defenders max hp in damage as a loss of life attack on a basic attack.

Anywho my question is what other abilities are out there that count as a basic attack?

2. sharang2

sharang2 The King of Potatoes

Wait, so can you confirm that Soulstrike + Rapid Attack is insta-75% loss of life?

3. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Are you just now discovering this?

SaintKiwi likes this.
  4. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Most abilities that count as a basic attack specifically say it. Though the wording can sometimes be weird. They really need to standardize some of these phrases.

OchiK likes this.
  5. OchiK

Yes, 75% of MAX HP life loss not current life total, so it is very possible to "one shot" a wounded champion.

6. OchiK

That was just an example I was more curious about other "abilites" that count as basic attacks. Since other things interact with basic attacks which I assume is a sort of psuedo balance so activated abilities don't get super crazy with other ability interactions, however since some DO count you can get some interesting and crazy interactions.

7. Tricky1

Tricky1 I need me some PIE!

Flurry used to be 1ap per attack , ever wonder why all those champs got changed to pariah and or multi attack? (Fear tanglefoot and reapers blade)
    As for the auto attack as stated before it'll clearly state "this is an basic attack"

8. MakarovJAC

MakarovJAC I need me some PIE!

Why are you bothering with Basic attacks? They have the most counters in the whole game. Unless you got yourself covered, pretty much anything in this game will shrug off them. By the way, I have yet to see somebody to try out Khong Monk + Masochism + Cloak of Snow (or however is called that damn spell which makes 3 attacks void).

9. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Those things do not interact in a productive way. Masochism is a damage prevention/loss of life mechanic that does not actually redirect attacks, and hence would have no relation to Blizzard Cloak.

Related to the OP, almost any ability that does an attack action for damage falls into the attack chain. Rapid Attacks is apparently one such exception, but there are few others.

10. MakarovJAC

MakarovJAC I need me some PIE!

Thanks for pointing out my mistake. I meant Brand of Brutality. I remember seing somebody use this once. It was crazy!

11. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Ah, that makes a lot more sense. Sounds rough.