Black Lives Matter are defending murderers and drug dealers.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Heart, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I haven't seen very much of this, to be honest. I see "All lives matter" is on conservative websites or in discussions used primarily to dismiss minority concerns.

And on Social Media, it is often accompanied by pictures of military, or soldiers, or used "against" BLM:

upload_2016-4-17_11-58-33.png

upload_2016-4-17_11-59-35.png

upload_2016-4-17_11-59-56.png

Or to support anti-abortion campaigns:

upload_2016-4-17_11-57-18.png

upload_2016-4-17_11-58-44.png

It's funny because in these abortion ones, you KNOW that their focus is actually on the fetus, not "all lives."

~

So either it is hijacking the movement for their own agenda, or it just doesn't address anything related to the underlying problem. Making the claim that "All lives matter" is nice and all, but it DOESN'T DO Bane Shift if you just use it as an argument against people who are trying to do something to actually make it happen:

upload_2016-4-17_12-2-20.png

Maybe you have good intentions when you say, "All lives matter," Ohmin, but it isn't how I see it used normally. Normally, I see it used basically to say "There's no problem here. You guys are just making it up #alllivesmatter" or just used to strawman those who care about these issues as not caring about anything else OR are actually causing the problem.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
    BurnPyro and Geressen like this.
  2. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

It's just like in the 90's when blacks had "stop black on black violence" - which implied that blacks should target whites instead of other blacks. The message wasn't "stop violence" - it was stop black on black violence.

Same old racist, anti-white bullshit ain't fooling anyone this time around either. "Black Lives Matters" implies other lives don't. Stop excluding other races.

3. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

Also, asians make more than whites in the U.S. - both indian and east asian. Yet nobody gives a Bane Shift. Cuz "white privilege." None of this Bane Shift is based in reality, just based on a racist, marxist narrative.

4. Sokolov

No, it doesn't. Saying you care about one thing doesn't mean you don't care about anything else.

If my particular passion is "saving elephants" it doesn't mean I think the Rhinos aren't worth saving - it's just not where my specific energy is focused (though one can see how efforts to save elephants may, indirectly, also help the rhinos).

SaintKiwi likes this.
  5. Sokolov

How do you feel about the fact that numerous studies have shown that blacks get harsher prison sentences than whites who commit similar crimes? Is that just a narrative?

SaintKiwi likes this.
  6. Sokolov

See how other people use All Lives Matter, @Ohmin? This is what I am saying.

7. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

Good analogy; It would be like if a poacher killed a lion, rhino, and elephant and you came out with a campaign that was "SAVE THE RHINO ONLY"

8. Sokolov

Not really.

Since Black Lives Matter doesn't say "Black Lives Matter ONLY" and the poacher is actually going after the Rhino significantly more often than the other 2 - which makes the need much more urgent.

Now, you might disagree about the claim of the need, and that's fine. But I think strawmanning people who care about racial disparities as not caring about anything else isn't helpful.

9. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

Cops aren't racist. They target crime. And crime follows poverty. And blacks are poor. Half of these cops, commissioners, and mayors in supposedly racist cities are black themselves for f|_|cks sake. Look at the freddie grey thing in baltimore, half the people involved were black.
    [​IMG]
    Your narrative is bankrupt. Rhinos ain't being targeted, rhinos just ain't as fast as elephants and lions. So petitioning for "SAVE RHINOS ONLY" is a racist, divisive call that distracts from the actual issue at hand - poachers abusing rights and murdering citizens. Why turn this into a race war issue and divide us by skin tone? If I have to choose between anti-white racist lynch mobs and corrupt, abusive police, I'll back the cops every time. So stop making me choose and drop the false race narrative. Blacks aren't being targeted. Nobody gives a sh|t about your skin tone except racist activists who make a living on the SPECTER of racism.

10. Sokolov

See, @Ohmin? This is how #alllivesmatter is used in my experience - to dismiss the idea that there is actually a problem and to strawman people and to claim that the other side is actually the ones causing a problem.

The reality is that the only side being dismissive of a problem is "alllivesmatter" who dismiss the idea that blacks being targeted is a potential problem while at the same time claiming (without evidence) that the other side doesn't care about anything else.

~

Anyway, in answer I will just quote myself:

SaintKiwi likes this.
  11. Sokolov

Anyway, I certainly respect that if you don't think there is a problem, that you might find people fighting for that problem to be ridiculous.

I just wish you wouldn't misrepresent the position. We just disagree on the underlying premise, that's all.

Personally, I have problems with a lot of what the police does in various areas that aren't racial. But I don't think people need to simultaneously demonstrate that they care about all issues equally. It's fine for some people to focus on areas they are more familiar or care about more. Otherwise, we could spend eternity just arguing back and forth about "what really matters" instead of making progress in any specific area.

12. Sokolov

I posted some evidence earlier that SOMETHING is wrong:

In any case, some other studies worth looking into/discussing:

http://www.apa.org/pubs/journals/releases/psp-a0035663.pdf

"We find converging evidence that Black boys are seen as older and less innocent and that they prompt a less essential conception of childhood than do their White same-age peers. Further, our findings demonstrate that the Black/ape association predicted actual racial disparities in police violence toward children. These data represent the first attitude/behavior matching of its kind in a policing context. Taken together, this research suggests that dehumanization is a uniquely dangerous intergroup attitude, that intergroup perception of children is underexplored, and that both topics should be research priorities."

http://fairandimpartialpolicing.com/docs/pob2.pdf

"Using a simple videogame, the effect of ethnicity on shoot/don’t shoot decisions was examined. African American or White targets, holding guns or other objects, appeared in complex backgrounds. Participants were told to “shoot” armed targets and to “not shoot” unarmed targets. In Study 1, White participants made the correct decision to shoot an armed target more quickly if the target was African American than if he was White, but decided to “not shoot” an unarmed target more quickly if he was White. Study 2 used a shorter time window, forcing this effect into error rates. Study 3 replicated Study 1’s effects and showed that the magnitude of bias varied with perceptions of the cultural stereotype and with levels of contact, but not with personal racial prejudice. Study 4 revealed equivalent levels of bias among both African American and White participants in a community sample. Implications and potential underlying mechanisms are discussed."

~

Again, none of this suggests there aren't MORE or OTHER issues out there also worth caring about. So let's stop pretending that someone who cares about X cannot care about Y.

Maybe there isn't REALLY a problem, but the data suggests to me that it's worth at least talking about, rather than outright dismissing any possibility that there is an issue.

13. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

To be honest, if I wasn't feeling attacked and threatened because of my light skin, I could actually acknowledge what seem to be real issues.

But as long as I'm being told I'm privileged and racist because I was born with fair skin, I'm going to fight against anything else that comes out of your mouth. I guess I'm a reactionary in that way. I don't believe the mobs being incited are acting in good faith with regards to fair-skinned folk, despite some underlying legitimate issues.

14. Sokolov

I understand that you are talking generally, but at least in the context of this current discussion, I am pretty sure that I, personally, haven't attacked or threatened you based on your skin color (in fact, I am not even sure WHAT ethnicity you are - I only know we both like similar anime, haha), yet you still react as though I did, and haven't discussed or answered queries/evidence that there might be a problem?

Isn't this exactly the opportunity that you would have wanted? To discuss the potential issue without feeling specifically attacked due to your skin color?

Ohmin and BurnPyro like this.
  15. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I never understood the notion that white people feel disadvantaged because black people try and stick up for their rights.

It's like people go out of their way to claim that black people aren't disadvantaged whatsoever and any attempt made by non-whites to solidify already existing rights or bring attention to problematic situations, somehow majorly impacts the Caucasian race.

Because being a white male in a western country is such a hassle.

SaintKiwi likes this.
  16. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

the US president is black. the most powerful position in the universe, held by a disadvantaged black man. can anyone tell me the last time there was a black king/prime minister/president whatever in Europe? so whatever system we got going over here, at least we don't put a ceiling on how high a black man can climb like you do.

America didn't invent slavery, we just seem to be the only country who is sorry about it. so the grievance industry will milk that guilt for all its worth, even if all they can point to is the occasional drug dealer getting roughed up.

newsbuff likes this.
  17. Sokolov

I have clearly demonstrated that this isn't true.

Considering that there are significantly blacks in the US than in Europe, it's not surprising that in many European countries there are fewer blacks in elected office than in the US where blacks up a greater % of the population (Blacks are about 13% of US population, and about 3% in France and the UK, for example).

upload_2016-4-17_16-44-54.png

Anyway, a small random selection of black Europeans in prominent positions in modern history:

upload_2016-4-17_16-37-0.png
    Christiane Taubira
    French Minister of Justice: 16 May 2012 – 27 January 2016

upload_2016-4-17_16-37-36.png
    Kofi Yamgnane
    Mayor of Brittany 1989
    French Secretary of State 1991-1993
    French Parliment 1997-2002

upload_2016-4-17_16-43-8.png
    Patricia Janet Scotland
    Baroness Scotland of Asthal since April 2016

upload_2016-4-17_16-47-0.png
    Bernard Francisco Ribeiro
    President of the Royal College of Surgeons of England: 2005 to 2008
    House of Lords since 2010

In other places, like Sweden where it is 90% Swedish, it seems reasonable that most politicians or high office will be held by Swedish people. With a population of 9.5 million, there are only ~50k blacks or around 0.5% of the population.

Even still, they have had in office recently:

upload_2016-4-17_16-53-11.png

Nyamko Sabuni
    Minister of Intregration and Gender Equality
    6 October 2006 – 21 January 2013

upload_2016-4-17_16-53-49.png

Alice Bah Kuhnke
    Minister of Culture and Democracy
    Since 3 October 2014

So this is an incorrect conclusion based on the wrong assumptions and ignoring context.

~

I may look into it more, but the research I just did to answer this question suggests to me that blacks are possibly even OVERrepresented in European government based on how few of them there are over there (this is NOT based on any rigorous analysis, just a feeling based on the little I looked into it). I was also surprised by the number of women I came across.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  18. StormChasee

StormChasee The King of Potatoes

Being the person who wrote those phrases I can tell you Ohmin is a lot closer than you are. Let me elucidate further. What bothers me about stressing group rights as opposed to everyone's rights is the former tends to pit groups of people against each other. Blacks vs white; rich vs poor; gay vs strait etc. It seems to aggravate the 'us' vs 'them' mentality that is not conducive to a civil society. Arguing everyone's rights matter or everyone's lives matter is not an argument against minority's rights at all. It respects the fact that minorities are a part of us. Their problems are our problems too.

The notion of black lives matter to the exclusion of other lives is racist to me and will do nothing to solve the problem.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/u...f_vicitm_by_race_and_sex_of_offender_2013.xls

It might be helpful if black lives mattered more to blacks. Look at the black murder victims with blacks the perpetrators in comparison to white murder victims with whites the perpetrators. 10% difference when it should be a lot greater ( 2509 white on white vs 2245 black on black) .

How about the inter-racial murders? More whites are murdered by blacks than blacks are murdered by whites (409 vs 189). The numbers should be reversed given the proportion of each race in the country.

19. Sokolov

I disagree with most of this. The idea that people can't care about specific issues without "dividing" is absurd. We all care about various things to various degrees - it doesn't immediately divide anyone.

When someone says "blacks are being profiled" or whatever, people largely react one of 2 choices:
    • You can act defensive, and claim that "All Lives Matter" or "Whites are profiled too!" or that the "narrative is bankrupt" or whatever
    • You can act empathetic, and discuss what is happening (and maybe it turns out it isn't)
      • If it IS happening, what we can do about it
      • And does it also impact other groups in a similar fashion?
    Guess which is divisive? The one that wants to "one up" the other and be dismissive of the concerns of the other (even if it's couched as caring about more, but doesn't actually demonstrate it).

I mean, if you actually think their problems are your problem, why are you working so hard to be dismissive of their problems simply because of the way they are asking for help?

Who claimed this, exactly? Have you heard non-extreme members of BLM or someone here claim this?

"Black lives matter to the exclusion of other lives" is not a phrase I have EVER heard uttered EXCEPT as a strawman argument made by those who say "All Lives Matter." It's simply an attempt to make issue a racially divisive one while pretending to be inclusive.

BurnPyro likes this.
  20. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

I ask for black kings and sok gives me the president of some local PTA. And he cites low black population in Europe as some sort of excuse for their lack of representation. Says a lot that Muslims seem to be more welcome in Europe than black people.