Brainstorm for FS Meta [AKA: I liked Neophytes.]

Discussion in 'Forglar Swamp' started by Ohmin, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

So I haven't tried to build a "meta"/"goodstuff" deck for FS in a while. I was wondering if I could have some input from more Ladder-focused players, or whomever I guess wants to throw out their opinions.

This is what I've got so far:

https://poxbase.com/deck/cu2CgUCy0Cx6cqWc2@czwcoHCd0Cxxs1s6Tsqs1gsms6-S5Bs54r2HrWe2Ge3O

Empty spots are Jellebrium Overminds, with Confuse and Dispelling Blows as their upgrades.

Darkmarsh Furies have Burn rather than Violent at present. Originally I was using Spitters, but for +3 Nora I get another DoT to stack with Poison from Ancients, and can hit Relics and Shrines (plus 2 HP as well).

Things I'm not sure about:

Voidmages: I like the AoE and the additional Range they bring (and the minor utility), but part of me wonders if I couldn't just go with Tortun Grenadiers for more AoE at a cheaper cost (losing some range and mobility), or something along those lines.

The other possible option would be to forgoe the AoE on the ranged units and go with Angels, swapping out Neophytes for something else, Poison Elementals perhaps. But aside from the fact that I like Neophytes, they've performed rather well overall.

Tortun Hawkers are mildly experimental, but Declare Target has always been generally good, even more so with Creativity units. Plus being Torts they have solid stats for their cost, even if Ponderous is annoying (though Hawk Attack's range does help make up for this somewhat, if only sometimes). But maybe I could swap them out for another Detection unit like Firk Psy-sentry (my general go-to for Detection) or something else and get some Emergency Kits in.

Speaking of which, I put Monsoon in mostly just to have a little extra AoE (and some slight positional advantage), but it could easily get bounced for other things. Maybe 2x Font Eruption for that and the Reverberating Blast for example, or an Emergency Kit or Poison Trap.

I'm also not using Destiny as much as I initially thought I would, but maybe that's because I'm under-utilizing it, but I suspect it's because I don't quite have as many 'hoppers as I'd like for it.

I am very happy with the Overminds so far. Confuse and to a lesser degree Mindlock are pretty nice, but Creativity is as I expected the highlight of the unit. (The unit is also solid in Jellebrium although obviously with different upgrades.) I might feel differently if I wasn't also running Slick and the Hawkers. I'm tempted to potentially swap out Marsh Song for Nora Weave, since it's much harder to play around with the potentially increased up-time.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. What are your thoughts?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  2. doubtofbuddha

doubtofbuddha I need me some PIE!

I was thinking in a simlar direction.
    This is what I had at first:
    [​IMG]

But I kind of shifted more towards this:

[​IMG]

Mainly with the idea that I am building some of the strongest of the core FS units, with plenty of passive healing to back it up (empathy on the angels and the firk botanists and then life siphon on the snapteeth). Augurs are easily replaceable by other good general-purpose ranged attackers (spitters in particular are a good alternative), but I just like their utility a bit too much. Relics are really popular right now so I think the monk + Erode is very justifiable. Shredders because ping is good plus shattered summons provides some nice tech vs. bats, myx, grobles, and spirits. Gekaal is gekaal, the overminds creativity + confuse + dispelling blows + mind lock is an awesome combination of utility. Sixul just got buffed and is a fantastic tank/utility piece especially now with all the healing you have. The Snaptooth and Fishkissers (Tough 2) are the best tanks FS has. The rest of the runes are pretty obvious, but I went more spell-heavy than I usually do because of how much you get out of them from Overmind.

I ended up going with the botanists over the neophytes because nexus aura is really good, cleansing aura can be really great for FS and empathy is I think slightly better on a champ that you have more freedom in placement.

3. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Botanists were also another thought, possibly in place of Ancients (very good for those that can't afford Ancients regardless btw, for anyone else happening to read this). Nexus Aura is very good (in fact, I was tempted to go with a Soulsphere in place of Monsoon, might still do that, remember that Creativity affects all non-Champion runes), especially with Empathy and passive healing. But I like the ranged dominance that Ancients bring with them.

I still kind of don't like Fishkissers in terms of personal preference. They are great tanks of course, but they feel a bit too expensive to me. Maybe I'll go with trading out Destiny for Emergency Kit, and swap the Hawkers for Murkwaters. More experimentation.

I noticed you don't seem to have any anti-Equip. Have equip BGs gone out of style? I know a lot of people were complaining about Hunter: Equipped and similar things a while back. (Though I can't say I'm all that surprised that the new "deal 10 damage and summon something" equips aren't being used.)

4. doubtofbuddha

doubtofbuddha I need me some PIE!

Yeah, I just don't see the need for anti-equip tech. We do have some of the best anti-equip in the game, but it seems that there are enough outs not to worry about it. I am actually almost at the point of dropping emergency kit too, but it is strong in enough situations I have not bothered yet. I am close though.

Also, you were talking about the potential of using Outlaws in a junk-style deck so I thought about it a bit more and this is what I came up with. [​IMG]

The melee is almost all tough to deal with in some way (tough 3, oblivion shield, and combat awareness 2) and you have several inexpensive champions that don't have much better to do than stand next to things to trigger flanking a lot of the time (shredder and enforcer). Plus plenty of good long range guys to trigger phantom dash (the snapteeth and overlord), plus the overlord has a ton of debuff ability. Gekaal is there for sheer impact, Sixul for additional utility and the chipped boulder monk because anti-relic is pretty much always good, and she is pretty solid once she comes down.

I admit I am somewhat unsure about gekaal (I kind of think slick would be a better choice), and both the horn and anchor are experiments of sorts. With less things to use shredder ap on, having the horn as a constant power turn enabler seems like a slightly better idea. Anchor is definitely good, but I am not sure it is better than all the other options.

So I am going to give this a shot for a bit instead of the other meta build I have been playing. (Which is basically the one I listed above except I traded out the 2 angels and 2 botanists for a dredger, 2 ancients, and kartch.)

Sirius and Ohmin like this.
  5. xplint

xplint I need me some PIE!

any good replacement for overminds?

6. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Auguurs or Boghopper Spitters