Discussion: Patch Notes: August 4th, 2016

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Senshu, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Bondman007

Bondman007 I need me some PIE!

@Sokolov Shows ya how long its been since I have looked at imps. I thought it was still global. I stand corrected.

@kalasle Sorry there Pox Lord Highness, forgive my lesser intellectual capability for forgetting about a prior nerf. Good change...buffs are gud. Now get back to your rule writing and quit trolling us peons.

Qucas likes this.
  2. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

I understand your comparison to other "finishers" (that's what i'll call them). I don't think it's necesarrily tunnel vision on Manic, I think it has more to do with the synergy between Manic and UD. If Avarice were in FS I believe it would be complained about less outside of the heavy hitting themes (Salaman and Semis).

This is one of those cases where certain abilities shine in certain factions. Purging Flames in FS or ST is not nearly as useful as Purging Flames in IS or UD. Throw Avarice in IS, you'll probably still get complaints cause of IS's damage potential.

3. JellyBerry

JellyBerry Forum Royalty

Yes, except this synergy would be observed if the equipment lasts in which case the drawbacks also will. It means players will have to either spend or dedicate more resources to making the equipment effective after the initial impact, so despite being in UD it doesn't look all too crazy anymore. That's why the argument regarding's it's power is mostly based on the initial outburst or it's work as a 'finisher,' therefore similar to anything which provides one rounding potential where whether it stays for further kills or not is an added bonus subject to how the match develops.

Following the logic above Lonx Bonecharm has no real drawbacks and is priced at 25 Nora. I think it could afford a cost hike?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    Pattn199, Qucas and SPiEkY like this.
  4. GemmaXylia

GemmaXylia Forum Royalty

Please can elemental storm stack? Like maybe have a cap stack but it would be nice if the poison/frost ones could do a bit more dmg? Or is that too strong D:

4NIK8 likes this.
  5. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Phew, removed it from boghopper paladin just in time!

6. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Right, and those are valid points of discussion (and also why it was nerfed the way it was). But those are different than "Spot Manic is always a bad idea."

SPiEkY and JellyBerry like this.
  7. Boozha

Spot permanent quicken would be a bad idea, too. All the examples you had were one-offs, granting manic is permanent. Quicken is really annoying, throws over your calculations and costs you cheesy games aswell, but at least it only lasts one turn.

So yeah, spot manic bad idea.

8. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Ok, who in this day and age isn't calculating around opposing spells?

9. Sokolov

Already answered this point. See above.

That's not the same thing. If spot Manic was a bad idea, then it wouldn't matter if it lasted more than one turn. That's my whole point.

10. JellyBerry

JellyBerry Forum Royalty

Typically, so does Avarice or the champion with it, unless that was the turning point of the match.

11. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Does Manic still work on ranged champs? If not it could be used as a decent negative equip on ranged champs. -Damage, -Speed and manic to make them walk into danger.

12. Boozha

Alright, to answer your point: -4 DMG and -1 SPD is not enough in a faction where 4 damage fall through the cracks. I'm not saying that Avarice is still horribly OP, mind you.

As for your second sentence, I don't get it; why wouldn't it matter if you can get the same very good effect again?

13. aseryen

aseryen I need me some PIE!

Give Avarice scornful...

I want to play Ethereal Pool and Traitorous Helm again

14. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Sok, you make a valid point concerning the finishing aspect, and if Averice served only as a finisher, then it would probably be fine.
    2 points however:
    1) its in te form of a permanen equip, só its waaaaaaayyyy better than a spell;
    2) after the first usage, it will be generating 5AP per turn, thus negating the SPD drawback.
    I think a good solution could be increasing the drawback, like giving lethargic or -4DEF or something along those lines.
    Could you considera giving Blizzard Cloak the hidden aspect instead of nora refund?

15. Sokolov

I have already addressed this.

Also, this still doesn't explain why any of the equipment I mentioned aren't an issue (such as Lonx Bonecharm, which also has uses beyond the first turn), but Manic specifically is.

Saying "spot manic is a terrible idea" isn't the same as saying "one turn spot manic is fine." Those are completely different arguments.

But yes, if we want to discuss the "post-Spot Manic" part of the equipment..

How much would you pay for each of the folllowing:
    1. Equipped champion has Manic for 2 turns.
    2. Equipped champion has Manic starting on the next turn.
    3. Equipped champion has -4 DMG and -1 SPD.
    Each of those are distinct pieces that can be analyzed individually, and then recombined.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  16. GemmaXylia

GemmaXylia Forum Royalty

Lonx bonecharm is really strong. I am playing lonx at the minute and it's similar to avarice in a sense. However pounce/blood rage have cooldowns so it's not an effect every single turn. Avarice was allowing for one rounding, then if you contest the font something else gets smacked by the manic unit.

17. Boozha

Manic is a better ability than blood rage. In UD, spot blood rage would probably have similar problems.

"Spot manic" implies an extra attack every turn if positioning is managed. "one turn spot manic" means an amount of damage based on champion attack, like quicken, but with different intricacies. They may be completely different situations, but one is clearly better than the other, and has no comparable precedent.

1. About as much as for quicken, a little less due to equipment slot instead of spell slot (which might also be an advantage, depending on a plethora of factors ...), say, 35 nora.
    2. Manic costs 15 nora, getting things when you want them is far more expensive than just the ability, though, for various reasons you know. However, the effect handled here under 2. has no immediate impact, so that makes it cheaper again. Mindwipe aura is 7 nora, yet mind orb is 30 nora plus drawback, as a crude reference ... So ... 30-35 nora?
    3. Ethereal Mindshank vibes say -20 nora tops. Since the equipment is in UD and 4 damage is less notable in an environment with high damage counts, rather less.

Summa summarum 45-50 nora.

18. Sokolov

They are both CD2 and so each turn you have an ability each turn that is psuedo AP gen the same way Manic is, since it allows lower AP damage, essentially. Alternatively, you can actually use them both on the same turn for even more burst than Avarice can put out.

Again tho, this is actual discussion on the specifics of Avarice/Lonx Bonecharm, which is good discussion. I just didn't like the idea of "spot Manic is terrible" as though there is nothing else in the game that has similar impacts.

aseryen likes this.
  19. Sokolov

In no time in the history of PoxNora has "spot X" referred to anything other than the initial impact of X. People call Cleansing Storm Spot-Cleanse, they don't call Sacred Temple Spot-Cleanse. People call Cleansing Emerald Spot-Cleanse not because it recurrs each turn, but because it Cleanses on deploy.

SPiEkY likes this.
  20. Boozha

It's "spot-[insert whatever you get]". Sacred Temple is spot cleansing aura. Spot manic is spot manic. That Cleansing Emerald is called spot cleanse really just tells how much better getting an immediate effect than getting the same effect delayed is. It is so good that people would still run Cleansing Emerald if it had no cleansing aura (in SP anyway, KF would probably go for Herbal Antidote).