Dispel and Cleanse

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, Jan 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I am looking for all instances of Dispel and Cleanse that are not clearing what they should.

Note: Temporary buff/debuffs from spells should be removable, but ones from equipment should not.

The general reasoning is as follows:

In general, an effect that grants anything (a buff, a debuff, an ability) is removable unless otherwise stated. This is the case even if the buff/debuff is a permanent effect from a spell. So this basically means that any effect from a spell should generally be removable.

However, if the effect is being persistently applied via a static source such as an equipment, a relic, or a champion within range. In these cases, removable should not occur (because even if it did, it would just be re-applied immediately since the source remains in play). So this is things like Boost: X, or Majestic. The key is that they are persistent in applying their effect.

That leaves things like Bodyguard, which kind of falls under both - but it should also be removable. The reasoning is that Bodyguard does not actually fall under #2, it was a targeted effect that happens to have an impact on the source, rather than being a persistent effect. Consider the similar effect of Pawn, which altho it has a specific trigger, is a persistent effect that just may or may not trigger based on the conditions. It sits there... waiting, like Book's hair.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  2. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Bodyguard isn't being removed.

3. hfok

hfok I need me some PIE!

Protection (KF Spell) - cannot be dispel

Bloodthirsty Blade (SL Eqp) - Impervious from it could be dispel

4. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

You can dispell protection before it procs, not after.

5. MovnTarget

MovnTarget Forum Royalty

ToV is not dispellable.

6. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

I don't think this is true. I lost a game when purefire failed to dispel protection before I attacked the champion.

Lushiris likes this.
  7. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Hmm, good thing i've never tried that. Good to know.

8. hfok

hfok I need me some PIE!

Short lived from Doom (ability and spell). I am not sure if this count towards what you said. This, however, will make that spell a lot weaker if changed.

Also, if this was meant to be not cleanse/dispel able, please put it in the description. I have a few new player asking me this question before.

9. Leadrz

Leadrz I need me some PIE!

It becomes a passive ability on your champion so of course not cleansable.

Xiape likes this.
  10. hfok

hfok I need me some PIE!

This is how I see the thread, in two parts:

1. What are temporary buff/debuffs from spells
    2. could they be removed by dispel/cleanse

Since there was no clear guideline what consider as buff/debuffs, I see short live as a debuff and hence my previous reply.

Leadrz likes this.
  11. Firk

Firk I need me some PIE!

Dispelling blows and shrive is not dispelling impervious because it needs to be a succesfull attack this is highly frustrating

12. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Good one. It should work, successful attack shouldn't require damage just a blow to land. I.E. not dodged or blocked.

13. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

Bodyguard is a weird one, I don't think 'bodyguarded' or 'bodyguarding' are considered positive conditions and so can't be dispelled.

Logically 'bodyguarded' should be positive, but I have a feeling that it would be difficult coding wise, since it originates from a different champ.

14. Sokolov

Good one. That shouldn't be removable.

I will add a small section at the top for the rationale on what things SHOULD or SHOULD NOT be removable.

15. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

So i'm curious, do you plan on making Doom Dispellable?

16. Sokolov

Probably not. That is one of those cases where we should make an exception and say in the description "This is not Cleansable."

Because the alternative means that if it is Cleansable, which means it'd probably be on a lower CD, which makes it annoying if you don't have Cleanse... etc.

Etherielin and hfok like this.
  17. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

What about abilities that change form? would be fun to counter them with dispell

18. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Give all Protectorate factions access to Dispel, since all Wrath factions have access to Cleanse. Please?

19. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Who doesn't have it yet? IS has Cleansing Flame but I don't know about the other prot factions. I would have thought Dispel would have been flavorful in ST during the last story arc there. FS has the darkmarsh which could get a dispel unit but I don't know about KF. Maybe a fae.

20. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

So ST and KF are the only ones without it? Booooo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.