Fairy Initiatives

Discussion in 'K'Thir Forest' started by Prami, Mar 17, 2014.

1. RedDain

RedDain I need me some PIE!

You consistently play niche themes. You are trying to nerf almost everything. Mechanical changes are by definition either nerfs or buffs - any change in any mechanic is automatically going to make a rune more or less playable.

2. RedDain

That's been a large part of my frustration with your many suggestions, Prami. Not that ALL of them are necessarily bad, but that so many of those suggestions are based on pretty clear mis-reading or non-reading of the runes themselves... whether a stat or an ability or a class or a race "fits" a rune or a theme can be a very interesting question to address... but you cannot actually address ANY of that until you've fully described and understood the interactions...

When you propose sweeping changes to entire themes, or massive changes to key runes that exist within or across themes... and you do so without having fully read through or thought through the way that those runes actually works... it gets frustrating.

3. Prami

Prami I need me some PIE!

Missing one trigger clause doesn't invalidate every observation I've ever had Red. o_O
    That's why i posted these here, so i could get input.

4. RedDain

You have done it more than once, and in several cases they were more obvious. That's why I suggested "one at a time" instead of "massive lists"

5. Prami

Then feel free to point them out, and I'll correct them.

I meant to respond to that. It's simply not viable to respond to runes one at a time, since there are hundreds. Rather, i decided to first divide by faction, then by theme, then smaller yet if needed.

LoL patch notes are out though, which is much more interesting than discussing Pox Nora's brief pause in stagnation.

6. TheNidhogg

TheNidhogg I need me some PIE!

But he's suggesting that this grouping is also not viable, so it seems you're at an impasse..

7. Prami

Oh? Faeries aren't a theme then? My mistake...

8. TheNidhogg

No, he's saying that it's not small enough of a division.

9. Prami

I've literally just responded to this above. Going in circles and taking up space is ugly. Please stop.

10. TheNidhogg

11. Sirius

Sirius I need me some PIE!

I took note of the fact that you edited the quote by making my initial "imo" all caps. I had thought that after saying it, it would become somewhat apparent, but perhaps I should try to expand on it a bit more? You're pointing out that this statement is mostly my opinion and -possibly- true, but what you're not doing is explaining to us how you believe said map changes improve things. When you DO mention such a significant change as something that should probably go with your Rune changes, I do believe you should explain your reasoning first (rather than make me be the first one to expand on it :p).

Among those changes, you are suggesting a damage reduction to 9 on a Dissipate unit, compensated by the added Surge. You're probably trying to make its damage more dependant on other things rather than flat damage so you can more easily work in the other changes.

Due to my playstyle, I enjoy 1-X range units and the flexibility that range type adds to them in combat and I always try to include Book Burn units in my bgs if possible. Combined with the movement impairing ability, those traits make Conclave Warden a nice champion to try to have in my BGs when I do use KF. I WOULD like it to have speed 6 and Mental Net, that would be awesome. However, I am not a Fairy theme player and will never be, so any change that makes it more theme bound is something I will dislike. I am also generally opposed to tying Runes more and more into themes because it restricts the number of ways you can use Runes and build BGs. It may be good for business because you can release many Runes that do the same thing for different themes, but I don't believe it is good for the overall health of the game and for those players who want to play something that isn't covered by any existing theme (like me). As it stands, I just ignore Guiding Spirit if I do include this champion, but TWO theme related abilities would make it way too theme focused for me to use (EDIT: talking about the addition of Surge: Fairy, I realized that it may not have been clear).
    As for the other option you offered (Surge: Enemy), I dislike that simply due to stability reasons and because of -when- in the game I'd like it to have power. I don't care much for waiting it out and letting the board fill up on both sides.
    Regarding Conclave Warden, do note that I haven't stated anything to suggest this is something OTHER than simply my preferences speaking. And that's fine because ultimately that's what you're doing too: you're expressing your preference towards something, rather than adressing a balance concern.

PS: It would seem these forums don't display quotes within quotes unless that is done manually <.<.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  12. RedDain

Correct. I am pointing out, and I hope demonstrating with evidence, that in attempting to address entire themes and all subthemes, and shifting runes in and out of themes "because they don't fit" (i.e. wisp and nullbeast)... Prami tends to gloss over, skip, and/or miss-state the abilities, skills, and stats he wants changed. That leads to frustration, because all of these massive and sweeping changes seem to predicated upon incomplete or inaccurate depiction and/or understanding of the abilities and the interactions.

That's why I want to see Prami "pick a rune" or "pick an ability" to discuss in reasonable detail, rather than broad brush shotgun rapidfire change-everything-this-way-right-now-because... which leads to chaos, misunderstandings, and hostility.

13. Prami

Hahaha... I'm sorry, don't take it personally. I just don't like to see red, and IMO out of caps is underlined with a red squiggly. I feel like I've committed a minor sin if i leave them. Your habit of one spacing after periods bothers me too.
    Spot on.
    Interesting. I too often use the Conclave Warden outside of the Faerie theme. That's part of why i was unsure about tying it more closely to the Fae with Surge: Faeries, or leaving it fully viable outside of the theme with Surge: Enemy. If it was changed with Surge: Faeries then it would still be viable outside of the theme, it would just lose 5 damage compared to what it has now, and i think the other changes would help make up for it.

Having the game divided heavily by theme doesn't mean that each theme has to have the same champions splashed across them. They can all do things in different ways, there are too many different abilities to warrant that.

The Fae are pretty well balanced as is, and i've never said otherwise. It's actually remarkable compared to many other themes, and it's certainly one of the more unique. I just think that there could be some tweaks here and there, mostly thematic, but a few QoL & balance changes here and there.

**Is the only way this game will ever become balanced. That doesn't mean the restrictions need to be severe, just encouraging. The Nullbeast has Bulwark: Faerie, but it's still at least partially viable outside of the theme.
    I literally have not mentioned Nullbeast once before this post, and i already said that the Wisp changes were whimsical at best. Interestingly, i meant to touch on the Nullbeast, because i think it would be a lot more interesting if it had Bound: Faerie (and Bound were changed to become less of a detriment than loss of control), but i forgot.
    If i've missed anything, feel free to point it out.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  14. TheNidhogg

15. RedDain

You missed that you mentioned the Nullbeast, and then jumped down my throat for disagreeing about changing the Nullbeast. You missed that Illuminate requires damage to process. You missed (massively) in your proposed changes to several of the Centaurs. You miss a lot. You post too much volume to bother combing through to catch all the things that you miss. Then you get passively aggressive about the replies that you get, and basically ignore the content of comments that point out the missed information or detail or glaring errors.

16. RedDain

You have mentioned it. Nidhogg pointed that out above. Removing a race from a champ, essentially eliminating it from theme synergy is not whimsical, it is a fundamental and sweeping change. If you made such a proposal thoughtlessly, then you should rethink. If it was not thoughtless, then you should defend appropriately, rather than deny.

As for the follow-up suggestion to Nullbeast - you want to both change the rune AND change the entire ability? wow.

17. Prami

Nidhogg is wrong. That isn't my quote. It belongs to Celestus, on the first page.
    I already edited the OP to reflect changes for Illuminate.
    I haven't suggested any changes for Centaurs here. Go post that in the appropriate thread and I'll address it there.

18. TheNidhogg

Sigh.

The first thing is your quote from just now.

The second quote is something someone said.

The third quote is you responding to the second and just straight up ignoring Nullbeast.

19. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

why do you guys even try?

20. RedDain

Masochism, and because the game is still borked on my comp, and I cannot log in to play. :(