First Turn Champion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by iPox, Jan 8, 2015.

1. iPox

iPox Forum Royalty

Hello everyone

I haven't played in a while and this isn't a problem for me anyway. But since it still seems to be an issue, here some random idea on how to solve the problem that if your opponent starts with some high speed Champion while you reveal no such Champion, you are effectively screwed on some maps.

This suggestion is inspired by this thread by @Gust Gord.

The idea would be to give each faction some ineffective Champion with high speed and preordained.
    Since it will be revealed from the start, each player has access to a high speed Champion early. Since it also isn't particularly cost efficient, it is just a backup in case you have no access to any better champion.

Edit:

Update:

Currently, I believe, we have several good candidates for the first turns issue, of which neither appears as a bandaid-solution if done right,
    which we may hope are easy to implement:

1. Mulligans (see posts #12, #13 and #23)
    2. Shrine generated emergency Champions (see posts #3, #9, #11)
    3. Game begins with closed Fonts (see posts #27 and #28)
    4. Game begins with all Runes revealed (see post #35)

Cheers
    iPox

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
    flador, Tweek516 and PurpleTop like this.
  2. Moles

Moles Administrator Octopi

Good to see you back iPox! I'm not sure if this is the best solution, as the real issue is the maps and their layouts - we do have an ongoing discussion in the council about this, the trouble with maps is that internally the system we have is extremely difficult to grasp because of the way it was made originally.

I'll be bringing this topic up again internally though.

Tweek516, DarkJello, soulmilk and 2 others like this.
  3. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

I suggested something like this long ago.

Possible Anti Draw Win Mechanic.

This unit is deployed at the start of the game with one for each side unique in looks to that faction.

Scout:

Dmg:0
    Spd:3
    Def:0
    HP:20

Abilites.

Scout: This unit gains 7ap at the start of its turn, and can not gain any more ap for that turn.
    Faithless: This unit has no spell prescense.
    Shrine Bound: If this unit is 9 or more spaces away from the shrine it is destroyed.

Edit: Not sure if anyone has noticed. Your shrine deploys this automatically at the beginning of the game. It is not a part of your bg.

4. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I hate having to include a bland champ that doesn't work in my bg just for the sake of not losing. If my opponent draws a great 8 speed movement champ I'll still get rolled.

I'd rather just have maps fixed altogether.

DarkJello, Ragic, JellyBerry and 4 others like this.
  5. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

giving high speed and petrodrained will make them auto thats the last thing we want
    I remembered making a suggestion like this about giving ap to diffrent champions to second turn champs
    5< 2 ap
    6-7 1 ap
    8> 0 ap
    I believe this was implemented a long time ago i wonder if this still possible this does not activate on IS/ST fonts

6. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Restrictive design r bad.

Woffleet likes this.
  7. JaceDragon

JaceDragon I need me some PIE!

8. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- That effectively makes all decks have boy 29 runes and with that thinking you should just give each person a free font to start with ...then it defeats the purpose of several other deck building systems.

- I mean I'm entertaining the concept but let's be honest...an Ipox thread that contains the word "preordained" lets think about this....

DarkJello and learnedone like this.
  9. Rokkushun

Rokkushun Devotee of the Blood Owl

New shrine ability; Ancient's power.

Summon an avatar effigy in your shrine deployment zone with 0 attack 0 defense 17 hp 3 speed, blood fueled, short lived, pariah, and faithless (this unit would be 1x1) and 0 nora cost. This unit is not affected by faction bonus'. This ability costs 80 nora and is removed when used or on turn 5, whichever comes first.

3 speed means it's only getting 7 AP from using blood fueled, and the nora cost is high enough that you don't just want to use it every game, especially since it can hardly be used to contest enemy fonts with it's low HP.

With it being a shrine ability it does not take up a rune slot and everyone just gets instant access to it so nobody has a real advantage with this. It would basically be "oh I didn't draw a champ 2 turns in a row but I can still have a shot at winning".

edit: I did not see someone else suggested something much similar .

DarkJello, iPox and Tricky1 like this.
  10. Indijanac

Indijanac I need me some PIE!

Well if you make only 7 speed champ playable then your doing something wrong.
    But in general important question is do you want luck factor in the game ? Cuz that is all that it comes down too.
    Maybe I get it and maybe I don't , but the chance of that decrees as you make 6 speed champions stronger.

11. iPox

iPox Forum Royalty

Well, it certainly is not an optimal solution.
    However, it is a possible temporary solution since the resources required to make this work are relatively low,
    since all abilities required are already there (i.e. preordained).
    Rebalancing the maps requires a lot more effort and time.

Well, there are many options how to solve this problem.
    Fixing the maps is certainly one of them. Onother way might be to begin the game with a global effect,
    that ensures that all Champions gain the same amount of AP in the resprecive second turn of each player.
    I assume that would work as well, as would many other solutions.
    But all those other solutions may require a lot of programming. ;)

Edit: You could also implement IMAGIRLs / Rokkushuns solution. Maybe give each Shrine the ability to spawn a real champion that can capture Fonts. I don't know how hard it would be to implement something like that.

12. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- Doing these just makes the game wierd Im sorry. I say just option for mulligan in opening reveals. Dont like the first couple reveals, trade them "once" then move on. Over time deck building beats out bad luck

13. iPox

iPox Forum Royalty

The point is, that with all possible suggestions we make, we need to consider the effort behind them.

That said, I think a mulligan option could also be implemented as a Shrine ability via the abilities
    of Obelisk of Foresight: Occlude and Augury. Maybe those abilities would have to be combined, so that the runes
    are concealed first, then three new Runes are revealed.

14. TheBulwark

TheBulwark I need me some PIE!

These are overly complicated solutions. Also kf will still be better off

15. Woffleet

Woffleet I need me some PIE!

As many people have already suggested simpily toning the speed of all psudeo 8 /8 speed champions down solves many of these issuses

16. Rokkushun

It says "...unaffected by faction bonus..." in there, but yeah it's complex but people prolly said that about transfigure too.

17. TheBulwark

TheBulwark I need me some PIE!

Oh my bad, then IS will be better off. And I dont recall this discussion when avatars came about

18. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Mine just does not allow outside ap gen....

19. Rokkushun

I dunno but I wasn't around back then, I just imagine people saying "this is overcomplicated and unnecessary" like your original quote.

20. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Starcraft used to have weird issues with map balance; things like Lost Temple were classics, but actually different for each player. Starcraft has advanced in map design, and Pox still has a ways to go but can get there as well.

As an illustration, there are a few values for first font distance that reduce the influence of champs draws: a font 1-5 spaces away or 9-10 spaces away will be equally distanced from champs with 5-8 speed. From there, it is possible to distance secondary fonts so that the speed impact is similar.