Goblin Thievery

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HalfGodBro, Feb 13, 2015.

1. HalfGodBro

HalfGodBro The King of Potatoes

Well, imo, this skill cost way too much AP for its range and utility, also its a skill only usuable in a low tier theme, i hope this can be adressed in some way, by puting this skill on some other goblins or changing the range or AP cost, or completly changing Goblin's Theme, i wish they still had a discount on Bane Shift at least lol
    Any Ideas?

2. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

forget about them they are a lost cause no point in trying to fix it

3. HalfGodBro

HalfGodBro The King of Potatoes

if everyone was like you, this game would be even more boring

4. Scarebear

Scarebear Devotee of the Blood Owl

Goblins are close to being a viable theme. Saying 'forget about it' means one less potential theme in the future. They are super cheap and disposable which is fun. I have a 'life is cheap' mentality when playing them. But Goblins are horribly slow and squishy and have trouble holding a font until reinforcements arrive. Some abilities that support the early game advance would go a long way. Any mid font map requires a kaiser or stealth delaying tactics or its a loss.

Thievery could do with an AP reduction (I'm thinking 3 ap and see how that goes) but i don't think any other goblins need it. It has a huge AOE and if too many gobs have it games will become a chaotic mess (even more so I mean, lol). I would be reluctant to give them any spell discounts. As cheap as goblins are you can afford to go a bit nuts anyway

I would like to see a goblin with a racial shroud or something similar. Goblins lack some tools from the UD arsenal so it would be nice if they got a few more toys 'just for them'. Also 7 goblins is not good enough OWLS!!!! I splash in nightfalls for some extra stealth and range counters but would rather play a viable full goblin theme bg. Change puppetmasters race or something, he kinda looks like a goblin. :D

5. chickenpox2

I agree what i meant is we should wait till they have more champions released then start fixing them once DOG has a clear idea where the theme is going since the nerf on spellkaiser and gloomgiver loosing there role.
    I really feel that more champions should have goblin thievery atleast give it gloomgiver only 3 chanpions have it and there no flying champions
    also i made a thread on possible new ideas

I thought it been a while since gobs have been touched on i think it time for us to make it one of the fun BGs to make
    Here's a Bunch of ideas that i have though of for new goblin champions
    what my idea was is to make goblin like fairies where they inflict damage through stall and trickery.
    Goblin puzzlemaker which is sort of UD version of trap champ

Goblin Puzzlemaker
    Race:goblin
    Class: Tinkerer
    Cost 65-75
    Base
    Damage: 6
    Range: 1
    Speed :7
    Defence:0
    Hp:40

Base abilities
    Attack: Physical
    Deployd Puzzle box (CD:3 Ap:0) - target space within 1 space to drop shadowspawned Red Puzzle box. When opposing champion moves within 2 spaces take 6 fire damage 2 spaces becomes lava
    Deploy: Blue Puzzle box (CD:3 Ap:0) - target space within 1 space to drop shadowspawned Blue Puzzle box. When opposing champion moves within 2 spaces take 6 electric damage and a spiderling is summoned next to the champion
    Upgrade 1
    Deploy: Purple Puzzle box CD:3 Ap:0) - target space within 1 space to drop Purple Puzzle box. When opposing champion moves within 2 spaces take 6 psychic damage and Confused 4
    Deploy: Orange Puzzle box CD:3 Ap:0) - target space within 1 space to drop Orange Puzzle box. When opposing champion moves within 2 spaces take 6 sonic damage and Crackled 4 (default)

Upgrade path 2
    Give: White Puzzle box (CD:5 Ap:3) - target friendly space within 3 space gains White Puzzle box. When champion opens that champion is Cleansed and heal 5 hp (default)
    Give: Black Puzzle box (CD:5 Ap:3)- target friendly space within 3 space gains Black Puzzle box. When champion opens that champion gains Defile for 4 turns

What you guys think this is similar to the giving tree mechanic but it gives specific stuff
    made changes forgot about shadowspawned

Goblin Beastrider
    Race: Goblin
    Class: Warrior

Cost:75-8o
    Base
    Damage: 12
    Range: 1-2
    Speed :6
    Defence:3
    Hp:45

Base abilities
    Attack: Physical
    Beastrider- when this champion dies no nora globe is dropped and a normal sized beastrider is dropped
    Gore
    Tail Sweep
    Upgrade path 1
    Flamestrike 1/2(default)/3
    Upgrade path 2
    Leap 1
    Leap 2 (default)
    Leap 3

Goblin Rider
    Class: Knight
    Damage: 8
    Range: 1
    Defence:1
    Hp:45

Base attack: physical
    Block 1
    Aggressive

Upgrade 1
    Enrage 1
    Hostile (default)
    Enraged

Upgrade 2
    Pulverize 1/2(default)/3

Goblin Juggler
    Class: Rougue
    Damage: 10
    Range: 1-3
    Defence:0
    Hp: 38

Base attack: Physical
    Juggle (CD 5 Ap:3 ): Opposing Champions within 3 spaced get distracted for 4 turns
    Throw juggling balls: Closest 4 Opposing champion within 4 spaces Take 50% of its damage and is knockback 1
    Goblin Theivery

Upgrade 1
    Shatter
    Recycle

Upgrade 2
    Imparing feedback
    Blind
    Confuse

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  6. Scarebear

Only 2 champs have thievery. Dirtbag and Stickyfingers. The ability has 6 range from the goblin stealing the ability. It not difficult to position so every goblin on the board gains an ability. If you give thievery to too many champs each game will be a roll of the dice.

You will lose games to bad theft which will feel like you have been cheated. You will win games to good theft which will leave your opponent salty due to your good luck (and rightly so).
    Its a zany ability that in too big a dose will ruin the match for you or your opponent. Potential of four champs is PLENTY imo.

It would be cool to see a short term solution so I can run the little guys again. Once they are in the fight goblins perform ok. It's getting into the fight that is the problem.

As for gloombringer not having a role.... depression + reflection(1) is a 65 nora build and is very good at 1v1 or shutting down less than 4 range champs. Depression is tricky to position for but such is goblin life.

7. chickenpox2

I feel that reflection is a waste of upgrade thought they could easily give more abilities so he can last longer like escalate or vitality

8. Scarebear

When the revamp hit and he had leech vitality he was crazy OP. SO much QQing over his range nerf that not many caught on. Agirgis was a do-gooder and told gedden and leech went *poof*.
    Back then goblins were pretty good since gloom could fulfill all the roles that were missing. Then the kf meta patch arrived and my short glorious charge of the broot was over :(

That's why I think goblins are close to being viable. All it took was a meta shift and gloom losing leech to shoebox the theme. Shouldn't take much to bring them back.

Oh.. and yeah... still need 8 goblins :p

9. chickenpox2

What do you think about my suggested champs
    Puzzle maker which is a trick type of champ which cause opponent to flinch whenever the try to come close
    Beast rider is a tank champ which gives 2 champs this allows gobs to hold font while trying to position the others for full attack
    Jugglers a champ that is gives some non basic abilities which can be useful

10. Scarebear

I only added to the topic my thoughts on bringing goblins to viability now. New champs are a far away thing and their introduction tends to shake up what already exists in the theme so is hard to comment on.

As you know I don't think any more thievery champs are necessary and rider champs are horrible design. If a new one is brought in Dirtbag can afford to lose it. A trap champ yeah maybe but needs to be much simpler than your suggestion.

11. Baalzamon

Baalzamon I need me some PIE!

The best Goblin is Goblin Archer and he has Encouraged and I really like that ability. I think that Coordination should be their racial. Encouraged could work as a racial but then there would have to be some stipulation like if x amount of goblins are in play.

12. Scarebear

Encouraged doesn't really kick in till mid game. Still doesn't help goblins early where they need it most. When I was playing goblins all of my wins came from stalling the early game with stealth or kaiser until I had some firepower. With cheap deploys I would then attrition across the board. If i couldn't stall it was a loss every time. Fairly easy to kill a goblin in 3 hits.

Relocate isn't a good option or goblins become mini minos. AP steal is out of the question or goblins become imps.

I like the idea of a racial shroud or something similar to boon of the wind from strigs. Or give them more stealth options and have a champ similar in utility to nightfall spider. Goblins closing abilities should be unique to UD but not usable outside of the theme (UD has enough options already).

And btw best goblin is brute :)

13. chickenpox2

Spamability doesn't always win though

14. mortal ix

mortal ix I need me some PIE!

Cheap goblins with coordination would really make flavourful sense. However I think goblins need to be unique to moga and lets face it. As it is, the stereotypical goblin (warhammeresque) is easy to kill and weak alone, but if they are able to mass up, they become an unstoppable attrition reliant force of green chaos. I hope the devs can take them in that direction. Let us have some night goblin fanatics!

15. Revengercm

Revengercm I need me some PIE!

What I would like to see is different color goblins. Each one having alt dmg which could be cool. We need a frost goblin, a red enraged one etc. They just need to add x3 different goblins and goblins can become a theme. I would also like they extending beast and mutant themes for UD. I have a beast one but just by the looks of it it doesn't go well together lol.

16. soulmilk

soulmilk I need me some PIE!

.... I just realized a terrible design mistake must have taken place...

Goblin refers to 2 things.
    1. Small creature that breeds fast, grows up fast, dies fast.
    2. Nickname for Lesser Orc.

Mogas are obviously based on the 1st one.
    Goblin Archer and Goblin Brute from the release set are very clearly based on Lesser Orcs.

In Wild Alliances and Crusade of the Vashal, UD got actual Goblins...

mortal ix likes this.
  17. mortal ix

mortal ix I need me some PIE!

I noticed this as I joined the game back in broodcall, back when mogas were being played while the archer and brute were pretty much shoebox.

The real issue is that they first tried to make their "unique" goblins in the mogas, and then later on figured out that they fit better in UD, (just an educated guess here) that then somehow wanted to make a paralell theme with ud mogas and sp mogas. Maybe they somehow are related. That could work I guess. Maybe moags are brown cousins, less aggressive, weaker and dumber.. but denizens of sheoul have bred them stronger.. Im not sure wich direction I would take them in flavourwise.

soulmilk likes this.