How To Deal With X

Discussion in 'Forsaken Wastes' started by BroWatchThis, Jun 1, 2015.

1. BroWatchThis

BroWatchThis Devotee of the Blood Owl

I'd love for fellow FW loyalists (or players in general) to list the best strategies known for dealing with certain problematic themes. Should turn out to be a very helpful thread if we all pitch in.

Just post a problematic theme for you and one of the more experienced FW players can share their strategy or help you come up with one to sufficiently dismantle that nuisance.

Common Issues:

1. Nokhan Do
    (only triggers 2x per champ per turn)
    - AoE attacks i.e. Disease Breath, Frost Cone, etc.
    - Passive Damage i.e. Disease Aura, Punishing Aura, UT
    - Abilities such as Dodge, Block, Oblivion Shield, etc.
    - Using meat shield champs to eat up NKD champ's AP and eat counterattacks.
    - Champs with precision i.e. Crossbone, Skeletal Archer, etc.
    - Any spell that does damage/drains hp
    - AP draining abilities, spells, relics, and/or equips i.e. Grimwell
    **LoL does NOT bypass NKD!!!**

2. Constructs
    - Abilities, spells, and equips that drain massive hp from those pesky high hp and def monsters i.e. Essense Drain, Reaper's Blade, Death Pact, etc.
    - Anti-healing i.e. Anathema, Decay (Anathema causes this but not global like this spell),
    Skull of Decay, Dark Healing, etc. ALSO disease is now an option, so fester those wounds!

3. Rush
    - Deploy champs and do not stop deploying them
    - Ranged champions are very helpful with a handful of melee meat shields to tie up the
    rushers - try the hit and run tactic: pop from range and run away (it's annoying)
    - REFRAIN from spell spamming - be very selective if you do decide to cast a spell
    - Do NOT divide your forces - try to keep them within helping distance

- Focus your attacks
    - AP draining abilities, spells, relics, and/or equips i.e. Grimwell
    - Passive Damage i.e. Disease Aura, Punishing Aura, UT

- Abilities, spells, and equips that drain massive hp from those pesky high hp and def monsters i.e. Essense Drain, Reaper's Blade, Death Pact, etc.

**Let me know what you want/need added. I'll update as often as daily.**

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
    IMAGIRL, Burcho, Ohmin and 6 others like this.
  2. BroWatchThis

I'll start with a problem I have: Nokhan Do. I hate playing against these. The only real AP loss we have is Elsari Helm and a handful of others such as spells. The problem I have is dealing with multiple Nokhan do champs, especially when they are all left with 4 ap along with them having counterattack abilities like riposte and arrow throw... I find it to almost an automatic loss. How do I deal with this?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  3. Sean5056

Sean5056 I need me some PIE!

You can try Reapers blade or Soulreave and maybe toss in a Loss of Life champ. Should give you some options.

4. Sean5056

Sean5056 I need me some PIE!

I have seen past threads of people that have problems facing Constructs. Any ideas there for people?

5. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

6. TheBulwark

TheBulwark I need me some PIE!

TeaScholar likes this.
  7. BroWatchThis

I've tested out using LOL, and, unless I'm doing something wrong, it still triggers NKD.

8. BroWatchThis

What exactly am I watching? Trolling at its finest? ;)

9. BroWatchThis

Best thing I've learned to use against constructs is alt dmg and reaper's blade along with Soulreave power turns and essence drain. Maybe even some Anathema or skull of decay action... Possibly dark healing champs as well. Always worked for me, but never a guaranteed deal. Constructs are just gay.

10. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

From the Complete Rules (sorry about the messed up formatting on the forums), found here:

1. Loss of Life -- Loss of Life is an alternate way to reduce a champion’s current HP, and is much more direct than damage. Anything which triggers on the key word “damage” will not trigger on Loss of Life. Loss of Life comes in three primary forms.
      1. Attack Sources -- Attack sources of Loss of Life include Hex and Attack: Loss of Life, a basic attack. They ignore all forms of resistances and immunities, including Arrow Eater. Loss-of-Life attacks can still miss. Therefore, their only states are “Failed” and “Successful.” They will never trigger DoTs, and cannot harm shrines or relics. Defense still reduces the HP lost from Loss-of-Life attacks, and they still obey the sequencing rules. They will, however, ignore all damage effects while proceeding through the calculation.

2. Non-Attack Sources -- Non-Attack sources of Loss of Life include things like Unholy Tomb, Essence Drain, and the loss of Boost effects. This type of Loss of Life is unpreventable by any means, other than by removing the source of the effect. It ignores all Defense, and any Immunity or Eater effects. Non-Attack Loss of Life cannot fail; it is always successful and non-damaging. Loss of Life effects do not destealth.
        1. Soulstrike -- Soulstrike is a Loss-of-Life effect sourced from an attack, but the actual Loss of Life is not itself attack-type Loss of Life. Attacks from a Soulstrike unit still have a separate damage component, although this is often 0. Soulstrike attacks can be any of the three different result types: “Failed,” “Successful,” and “Damaging.” The Soulstrike ability will trigger on any attack that is at least Successful. Soulstrike always rounds down.

tldr: Loss of Life don't mean jack to NKD.

Here are a pair of threads in which another FW player explores NKD:

http://forums.poxnora.com/index.php?threads/my-nohkan-do-experiment.11800/
    http://forums.poxnora.com/index.php?threads/need-help-fighting-nohkando.11770/

Here's some more advice, in case it doesn't turn up in any of those threads
    • Group up. NKD works well in Skirmishes, but really starts to suck in larger fights, where you as the opponent can burn of opposing AP by changing around targets turn-by-turn.
    • Deploy range. For a similar reason as above, ranged units allow you to better control your target options.
    • Use non-attack damage. Afflicted Corpse, Bile Zombie, auras, and DoTs all bypass NKD. If you only get 1 attack through an NKD champ, make it the one with a DoT on it. Deploy champions with passive damage output if you expect NKD opponents.

Uruboz and BroWatchThis like this.
  11. BroWatchThis

@kalasle nice quick write up! I figured LoL meant jack Bane Shift to NKD. I know there are plenty of AoE damage such as festering corpse, ethereal soldier, afflicted corpse, etc.
    Tough part is finding a good balance between everything so your bg isn't just a one trick pony... and that's the problem I've encountered with many protectorate players: they are ALL one trick ponies! The sad thing is that it doesn't matter because their one trick ponies are more than effective. High dmg. Long range. High hp. High def. Crap tons of healing and mobility. It's very annoying.

12. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Just include the basics in your BG and then weight your deployments. No need to weight your includes.

13. BroWatchThis

For example: this is my Skellie bg:
    skeletonz.JPG
    thoughts?

14. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

On how specifically to handle NKD, or the BG in general?

15. BroWatchThis

No just the bg in general. I know crossbones and skellie archers would be the best champs to use while my other champs like boneguard blocks enemies from taking them out.

16. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Yeah, tag with Xbones, Dark Rising as surprise attacks to take out an NKD shield.

For the BG in general, cut down on some of the 2x runes and run more singletons that share similar spaces. 2x Soulreave seems unnecessary, as does 2x Boneguard. Making room for 1x Bone Ele could also be a good choice.

17. BroWatchThis

Awesome advice taken.

18. Nite2kill

Nite2kill I need me some PIE!

I have had luck with using Undead Crone and Crawling Corpse each with Punishing Aura.

EDIT: Have a Flying champ or E. Soldier lach on with Corpse, drop in middle of enemy camp use Breath, E. Solders Aura and Punishing Aura and wait for the Rage Quit

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
    BroWatchThis likes this.
  19. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

nice forum topic. although i do not have any thing to contribute this time i would to see this topic become a sticky.

BroWatchThis likes this.
  20. Uruboz

Uruboz I need me some PIE!

Mind shackle equip, ancient elsari helm, all kind of breaths (FW have alot of champions with breath skills). I think Doom is still runnable.

BroWatchThis likes this.