Isn't cancel magic just backfire but better in every way?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Compost, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Compost

Compost I need me some PIE!

These two spells are the exact same thing except backfire cost 5 more nora and can be wasted on a cheap shitty spell? I know you don't like to streamline everything, but how are you gonna have the exact same spell on two factions but one just worse than the other? At least make the number of turns it lasts different, or somthing so it's less just blatantly the same thing.

2. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

What if you want to block a cheap spell, though? Suddenly Cancel Magic sucks.

darklord48, Qucas and Anima26 like this.
  3. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

I wouldn't say it is "blatantly" better. Backfire has a higher chance of triggering and Cancel Magic, conversely, has a higher chance of not triggering at all. When Cancel Magic does trigger, however, it is almost always worth it.

4. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Because you never wanna block 35 nora spells and everyone runs a desecration to spell check.

Qucas and Anima26 like this.
  5. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

The game is unpredictable. There are loads of times you expect a spell and it never happens, in which case both are wasted nora. With CM the rate of waste increases further because your opponent could cast one (or multiple) <40n spells during those 6 turns but not cast anything bigger and it won't hit.

A spell that is more likely to have no effect cannot be described as "better in every way".
    Please reconsider your posting habits, we are overloaded with faction zealots as is.

6. Anima26

Anima26 I need me some PIE!

It swings both ways imo, Cancel Magic can be worse than Backfire in some cases when youre ok with losing out on the extra nora to prevent something thats 30/35 nora but pretty clutch in the right situation.