K'Thir Forest Player Council Nominations

Discussion in 'K'Thir Forest' started by Senshu, Mar 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karmavore

Karmavore MEDIUMALLTIME

Also in the ranking ladder I feel as if there should be a faction indicator beside your name maybe the respective emblem so newer players can browse the ladder an find people who play in their faction. Making it easier to track/watch those specific people. Makes it easier than skimming through the names/asking around.

2. RedDain

RedDain I need me some PIE!

At 75 nora up front, it would only see use as a finisher, if that. Sure, the refund would be better, and instant... but I'd rather put down a good strong 75 nora champ under most circumstances...

Karmavore likes this.
  3. Nora That

Nora That I need me some PIE!

4. Prami

Prami I need me some PIE!

It seems to be mechanically fine as it is. It's underused for the same reason that all spell counters are underused. They aren't reliable against the sheer variety of tactics an opponent can throw at you. In this case, it only protects against targeted spells. As far as spell counters go though, Life Shield is one of the more reliable, since it's a hidden effect with no turn limit. Attach a turn limit to it, maybe buff the healing to a percentage of the target's health, instead of a flat number.

I would even go so far as to address how spell counters work, fundamentally. In once scenario, you've made your opponent waste nora (probably more than you spent on the spell) and gotten a bonus effect out of it. They've lost not only the Nora, but what it was spent on as well (it went on CD). It's the same situation that makes Loot so powerful. In the other scenario, you've just wasted a sizable amount of your resources on well, nothing. Neither of these 2 scenarios feels particularly healthy in a game that is so cut throat as it is. The advantage/disadvantage that spell counters bring turns games into one shot, all-or-nothing gambles. I don't have a fantastic solution for this, but there is one obvious tweak that would make the entire series of spells healthier in the short term. Just give a percentage of the spell cost back to the person who's spell was blocked (flat percentage for all blocked spells). At the same time, lower the cost and/or increase the margin of error for using a spell counter rune to begin with.

With Lifeshield specifically, and with a flat % return for blocked spells, why not have the effect trigger off of the first spell or ability to target the unit? Why have the focus of the spell be blocking another spell? Why not have the focus be the healing triggered?

Zenity likes this.
  5. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

@Nora That:

Because Norris is a living legend, as it were. While Lee be 6 feet under decades ago. Also, Texas.

6. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

The guy whose been pmuch building your KF runes for the last couple of years.

Id also like to take a moment and laugh at Prami.

Ok, now that I'm done with that, TheNidhog is my vote.

RedDain and DarkJello like this.
  7. RedDain

Yay Baskit! I was not so nice to you on another thread, but this post deserves big props. You rock.

8. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

You don't need to be nice to me. Your opinion of me holds absolutely no value, as should mine of yourself. I don't take your feelings into account when posting, and so I would advise you to do the same. It's the interweb afterall.

9. RedDain

Well that's certainly true, but I liked your post anyway.

10. TheNidhogg

TheNidhogg I need me some PIE!

What Burn said - it's important for the council to know their place.. which is (as far as I understand it) to provide feedback when requested, not propose changes, or worse, campaign for their own preferences. However, to answer the question, the most pressing issue I see is the split bonus. We'd need to get a lot of discussion going on it, but I'm tired of not splitting KF due to our bonus being terrible.

Personally, I also enjoy finding creative buffs through database changes to shoeboxed runes (IE: Adding abilities that already exist in the game & tweaking stats). My favorite idea I've had so far was to give Cast: Hungry Mire to Mud Elemental, though the end result seemed to be a little too good.

11. TheNidhogg

Here's my count

12. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

I don't see myself on the list. Voted for Karmavore, although each of you is win IMO.

13. TheNidhogg

Fixed it

Karmavore and DarkJello like this.
  14. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

@TheNidhogg could you give your opinion on the thorn collection matter that I brought up? I'm interested to see what do you think about it, if you think it's balanced, just assume it's OP.

15. TheNidhogg

75 nora / 15 dmg would be playable.. you would just feel bad about yourself when you cast it. It's a bad design choice. The delayed refund looks like it plays better, and I would prefer that "fix" overall. TC has kind of been a sacred cow for KF.

However, when you compare to something like Burning Sands, you see that Sands is always at least 12 for 40. So if TC were 10 for 40 that would be under what it should be, considering that Sands has upside with Charred adding a potential extra 6 dmg. But 10 for 35 is probably OP due to CD.. it's tricky. Also you have to factor in that Sands is a ridiculous spell, so I really don't know.

There are no good mechanical solutions to this, but ideally you'd want something that makes double TC harder - like +10 nora but with a 10 nora refund guaranteed after casting. So double TC would require you to have more nora in the bank to pull it off. But this is stupid and confusing, so delayed refund is just better and more elegant.

Karmavore and Zenity like this.
  16. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

Ok, thank you, when xirone gives his opinion (if he gives his opinion) I'll vote.

17. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

Just to be clear, I didn't make the runes. I was able to give some input on the runes once the devs had the basic of the champs, and the artwork, done. Some of those buffs and nerfs were me, though. :)

18. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

Xirone the beastmaster

19. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

As TheNidHogg said, I do think the refund happening at the end of the turn would be a more elegant solution. Whenever multiple elements of a rune are changed, it is harder to predict the final outcome. 15 damage, 75 nora, and an instant refund would certainly reduce spell spam, however. Each champ hit would refund 7 nora, instead of 5 as it currently does. Assuming the average Thorn Collection hits 4 champs, that would equal 60 spell damage for 58 nora. With this route taken, Thorn Collection would generally be inferior to Firestorm, except when you could hit a lot of opponents (or use a lot of Illusions or whatnot). Conversely, putting the refund at the end of the turn would retain what makes Thorn Collection special, its efficiency, while tapping its potential to be spammed.

Zenity likes this.
  20. BansheeX

BansheeX I need me some PIE!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.