League of Legends

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by TeaNinja, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

I mean

name your price

2. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

play with open camera and put screen centering on space. that was you can easily press space every few seconds and obtain camera lock. It's just easier to be able to let the lock go for a few seconds and get a quick overview, being able to watch a champ who just got out of your sight, etc.

I've had several friends who improved a lot after getting used to unlocked camera. They also had atrocious winrates on purple side. Just saying, it's right there jazzy

TeaNinja likes this.
  3. Regulate

Regulate I need me some PIE!

You rage too much!

Okay, i'm bad with words so i'll try with a picture:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/355905/theidea.png

Excuse the amateur-hour ms painting

At every stage of the game there is always a better place for your camera to be than locked to your hero.

I tried to show one of the most basic situations - farming mid lane against an enemy hero. You replace a lot of useless view space (behind your hero / friendly tower) with the information you actually need to make good decisions.

Obviously the dimensions are exaggerated but the theory is the same.

PurpleTop and TeaNinja like this.
  4. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I agree

5. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

This view is only superior when the lane is equally pushed. If the wave is pushing to the opponent's tower, for example, not being able to see behind you could lead to unexpected ganks from the area between river bushes and your tower. And if the wave is pushing in the opposite direction, having your camera focused on the opponent's side is useless, because you won't be able to see yourself at all. The real problem with all of this in my mind is the constant micro-management of yet another seemingly insignificant feature that has such a large effect on a game's outcome. When I watch players stream and/or YouTube commentaries, the camera is almost always in motion, flickering between the player's lane, bot lane, buff areas, top lane, etc. All of this extra movement creates some very disorganizing gameplay (at least in my mind). Again, if the zoom feature wasn't stuck at such a depressingly small range, I would be perfectly fine. But as it is, having to maintain proper camera position by spamming spacebar in conjunction with constant screen-boarder tapping is just too much multi-tasking.

6. Regulate

That's ... kind of exactly my point? There will always be an 'optimal' camera position based on the current situation, and almost never will that be what locked gives you.

It's a skill, yes. You will always be limited (to some extent) when using locked.

7. JazzMan1221

Locked gives you a central view of your current surroundings. It's a balanced view that lets you see more, but in a smaller area. Unlocked lets you see more, but at the same time forces you to see less.

8. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Locked makes me rage with uselessness. Cant see why anyone would do that. Cant believe someone actually does.

9. Regulate

What.

10. JazzMan1221

To put it another way, your view lets you see more in front of you, but nothing behind/to the sides of you. With locked camera, you can see less in front of you, but get more coverage of your surroundings. You see a little bit forward, a bit to the sides, and a bit behind, instead of having a massive view in front but little else. Now, of course your way also lets you re-position, but that just goes back to my earlier points about micro-management.

11. Vaayshan

Vaayshan Member

I haven't touched Lol in the past year, but I just had to come in and say this:

Unlocked camera > Locked camera

FACT

12. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Just stop it though Jazz. There's no merit into playing locked over unlocked. As I said, you can always hold space and play with locked until situation occurs where you need unlocked.

[​IMG]

13. JazzMan1221

I see two things here:

1. None of you are really explaining why unlocked > locked. You're just saying "yup, unlocked is better, and that's all there is to it". Regulate made a decent effort, but I still don't agree.

2. You're all listing champions that I never play, and thus your argument for unlocked camera using these champions as proof falls flat. For reference, here is a list of champions I play and the roles I play them in; if it's not on the list, I NEVER play it.

- Viktor (mid)
    - Sion (top, mid)
    - Leblanc (mid)
    - Galio (mid, support)
    - Kennen (mid, ADC, top)
    - Nautilus (support, jungle)
    - Malzahar (mid)
    - Nunu (jungle, mid)
    - Swain (mid, support)
    - Vlad (top, mid)
    - Twitch (ADC)
    - Zilean (support)
    - Singed (top)
    - Morgana (support, mid)
    - Morde (mid)
    - Brand (mid)
    - Yorick (top)

14. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Sigh.

League is about decision making, you need to know what you're going to do in the next 20 seconds and act on it. To know that, you need to know what is going on to make a proper decision (wards fyi). So you need to have vision of your complete lane, vision of someone you're chasing, vision of the people who are chasing you, say your team is at dragon/baron, you need to see what the situation is.

Honestly though, this is so self-explanatory it's mind blowing that we're having an argument over whether or not having limited vision is a bad thing in a teamgame.

15. JazzMan1221

I don't see it as limiting my vision though, I see it as a different kind of vision. If there's something on the other side of the map that requires my attention, I can click the mini-map and my camera jumps to that location. No fussing over proper positioning, no worrying about sudden attacks by the opponent, and maximum coverage of the action from a safe vantage point. I ward like there's no tomorrow, and that gives me all the vision I truly need. If I find myself chasing someone or being chased, once again the mini-map provides me with advance warning of what is coming (provided my team has warded properly). I don't think you realize that no matter where your camera is pointing, your vision will ALWAYS be limited in some way, locked or not.

And really, if there truly was no merit to playing with a locked camera, then why does the option exist in the first place? I highly doubt Riot decides to implement features that DETRACT from game quality, so it must be there for a reason.

16. TeaNinja

TeaNinja I need me some PIE!

I pretty much play on "locked" the whole time, but I have it set to unlocked and just have my thumb on the spacebar the whole time - which locks it until I release the spacebar. It's better than locked simply because it is locked but at a moment's notice can be unlocked.

Xinde and rickyjpen like this.
  17. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Same reason why there's a difference between smart cast or normal cast.

Normal cast is a bunch more disadvantageous compared to smartcast, but it's there because new players need it. Same reason with locked. You can argue the this locked point all you want though, the fact that every pro player plays without, the vast majority of high ranked players plays without just says enough.

As I said, the fact that you can keep your thumb on space and choose when you're locked and when you aren't is always going to be better. A +B will always be better than only A. (if B isn't a negative). I just feel you're being unnecessary dense over something this obvious. I'm done with this discussion now cause it's making my head hurt. It's too painful arguing over something this basic.

18. MrAlpaca

MrAlpaca Well-Known Member

Burn is BurnPyro on EUW... also my ign is MrAlpaca on EUW, add me too

19. Mallious

Mallious The King of Potatoes

All the cool kids are on EU. X(

20. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Alpaca is in wood 5.

A tarp, tis