magnepede

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by super71, Mar 11, 2023.

1. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

How do you beat this thing ?

split- well okay, annoying to deal with but doable.
    split with regen- a bit strong, but still doable as long as you can one turn it.
    split with regen 3, and surge equipped- okay getting a bit out of hand at this point
    split with regen 3, surge equipped, teleport equipped, and magnetic pulse- How in the world did this rune ever make it into ranked play

This rune is literally a walking synergy with itself, and so easy to abuse it's unheard of. Talk about a rune that should be banned from ranked, every other split rune has been nerfed a million times, why not this one ?

2. Sirius

Sirius I need me some PIE!

It splits on basic attacks. This is in fact why you see it played in BGs with a lot of Premonition, because Premonition almost forces you to use basic attacks. So what you need is the skewer abilities (Lightning Skewer, Water Vortex etc, the line ones) and/or the Magic Bomb type AoEs. Or the Novas. It'd be easier to help if you mentioned which factions you play.

If you have an AoE to finish it off, splitting it can work in your favor. Because in order to split it lowers its own remaining HP to split in two, which puts it closer to AoE kill range.

super71 likes this.
  3. super71

I understand how to counter split, my issue is the synergy it gives itself, and it's damage output in relation to also being a split champion. A unit with split, should have no access to damage boost itself, and teleport on it's own synergy while wiping enemy ap also. Most split champions, have weaknesses inherently built into them, whether it's low damage, low speed, etc. Daggerpede, and magnepede have no such problems built into them. Granted i've always had issue with split, swarm champions because it just seems too gimmicky in my opinion. Now if they only split one time, and lost let's say 10 health instead of half when they split, that wouldn't be so bad. Splitting, and then running your champ away to reheal is something that shouldn't exist in a game where resources (nora) (health) is such a huge advantage.

Also, it's all fun and games until someone figures out k'thir/sl equip battlegroup. Escape magic + magnepede, daggerpede, + regen 3= many many many split units. Also, k'thir negative equips are dang strong

Thank you though

4. Sirius

Sirius I need me some PIE!

I am reasonably sure SL/IS and SL/FS are the better versions of what you describe. Split may be good, but it's not good to the point of justifying spending an Escape Magic on its own if you can help it. Rather, IS gives you access to Magnetic Rover, Burning Steel and more powerful equip lockdown synergy, while also having good sources of healing for all your 'pedes. FS also provides lockdown through the ability to spam Premonition to the point it's almost constantly up. Lockdown Equip decks work so well with the 'pedes because the basic idea is to overwhelm their splitting and regenerating with numbers and burst damage, which lockdown makes very hard.

It's hard to form an opinion on the power of Split champions themselves because it seems like something very hard to balance. It does seem gimmicky but I also remember the old old Sunderpede (before other 'pedes were released) being mostly used by broke people like me who had no money to throw at Pox (it was very pay to win back in the day; still arguably is), rather than something so powerful people complained. Point being, I don't think Split in itself makes champions powerful. Mucker came back in the meta because the game was slowed down and simplified a bit, with less swiss knife units around. And it still mostly functions as a tank and seems 'fine'. So if Mucker can be fine, it seems like Split doesn't automatically make a rune OP, but rather other changes in the game and synergies around it.

5. super71

Is would be better too spam premonition, and healing, also the units themselves that supply premonition, and healing, also are a bit better overall compared to fs. I'm saying escape magic to save a dying pede, is well worth the cost given they both have regen 3. Hp/nora ratio is the name of poxnora after all, always has been, hence why summons are always a chosen upgrade. Burning steel is a one time trick pony, and not nora efficient, and takes too much setup. Magnetic pulse is an okay ability, but overall their are better options now.

Mucker is fine because of the reasons I have already listed previously, ponderous and 5 speed, makes it very undesirable. As 5 speed is almost a death sentence nowadays, unless the unit has another way to manuever. Also 50 health, with no defensive abilities, and no movement ability is pretty much an easy one shot these days at 5 speed.

The sunderpede and magnepede are broken because of their synergy, regen3 , and they move well, as opposed to almost every other split champ.

Split imo, is right up there with swarm abilities, doesn't take any skill to pull off, but the hp/nora ratio is always going to be huge. This is why st has always been one of the strongest factions in poxnora, and continues to be so.