Maps

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

We were able to get some momentum on map changes, so here's the plan at the moment.

Each content release will feature 12 Maps as part of the cycle. Maps will rotate in and out with each update. Just because a map isn't in a particular cycle doesn't mean it won't come back later. In fact, this is intended to help keep each release fresh, with maps rotating in and out.

For this first set, we are using some that we know work out, as well as experiment with new layouts on most. Some are major adjustments, others are minor, 1 of the maps (K'thir Forest) will be asymmetrical in favor of Player 2 as a test to see how players feel about that type of design.

Most of the changes open up for 5 SPD captures/contests, and dependency on 7 SPD, while attempting to decrease flight as an early font capture advantage.

Map Rotation System

Maps will rotate with each major content release (mid-term, expansion, whatever).

With each cycle, we'll review existing maps, eliminating bad ones and using that knowledge to improve on the new cycle, as well as build additional variants on existing maps.

Eventually, we hope to build a stable of balanced maps that keeps each cycle fresh, without having to play on bad maps :)

~

New Map Rotation (12 Maps)

Axillium (Updated)
    Dark Marsh
    Elemental Plateau (Updated)
    Forsaken Wastes
    Grove of Ashes (Updated)
    K'thir Forest (Updated)
    Lava Plains (Updated)
    Nora Glades
    Lost City
    Shores of Maljara
    Snarling Tangle (Updated)
    Tundra Lake

Axillium
    [​IMG]

Elemental Plateau
    [​IMG]

Grove of Ashes (using @only's suggestion - the blue bush is being REMOVED)
    [​IMG]

K'thir Forest
    [​IMG]

Lava Plains (again, thanks to @only)
    [​IMG]

Snarling Tangle (This one is pretty odd)
    [​IMG]

Also, thanks to @DMrBadguy since I used a bunch of his pics.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
    Zlyne, mw24, ghklf and 8 others like this.
  2. Sokolov

As always, feedback and comments are solicited. Let me know if I missed or overlooked something.

The end goal is to develop a series of balanced maps that can be rotated in and out continuously.

Zlyne, Etherielin and Woffleet like this.
  3. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- Appreciate the attention...between looking at 5 speed champs in general and slower speed friendlier maps....should reduce some draw/loss font situations.

p.s. Look forward to some center map skirmishes on Elemental plateau...tho controlling it early due to logistics will be a def strat...which might be ok.

4. Moles

Moles Administrator Octopi

yay for balanced maps

ManlyPaws, Zlyne, daeminicus and 2 others like this.
  5. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- I prefer the central or offset neutral font situations...promotes some conflict instead of stagnation and turtling. (not normal turtling the long drawn out 1 battle alpha-strike win-con turtling I hate)

6. Rapidice

Rapidice I need me some PIE!

Can DOG afford a Photoshop course for Soko? Even a Paint one would do ;).

On topic: Nice changes, I like the idea of imbalances in favor of player 2.

DarkJello and Sokolov like this.
  7. Sokolov

Haha.

On the imbalanced map towards Player 2, I was planning on doing more than 1 of them, but decided to start small, as I only have theory crafting behind the idea, and no actual experience with it. It may very well be a terrible idea.

Etherielin likes this.
  8. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Uh, so is grove of ash just autolose as second player with 2x2s then?

Not really a fan of rotation at all. Just want to see the stupid ones removed/reworked, done.

9. Sokolov

Not sure I follow on the first,.

On the second, the idea to fix them as we rotate them in. As you can see with the new rotation that will go up.

10. Nora That

Nora That I need me some PIE!

I like the fact that something was done, although I am not too sure about the grove

11. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

I actually like the new Axilium, but I hate both the current and the suggest Snarling Tangle.

12. Nora That

a 2x2 champ will never get to contest the center font in the grove as he has to move around the 70's bush

13. Nora That

the new snarling tangle: the shrine on the right will have a huge disadvantage vs ST's spell galeforce (cliff within 3 spaces of optimal summoning square) meaning the player will have to summon one square away and lag behind in AP towards the middle font

14. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Whats up with the bush right in front of left players deploy route to the middle of the map?

Also, as covah touched on, snare tangles high number of elevations around the middle of the map (the most crucial place) makes it incredibly obnoxious. Flying/movement enhancers just dumpster no-afformentioned.

15. Sokolov

That is existing bush slated to be removed.

16. Sokolov

And Snarling Tangle is a mess of a map, we'll see if this iteration is better.

17. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

I actually love Tangle when T1/2 tempo is equal for both players. Even so, these changes look cool. If I'm reading that right, there will be an impassible ledge inside the deployment zone?

These look like some good edits, I'm happy to see more use of the 5/9 numbers to handle fonts. Imbalancing for player 2 is a neat idea.

18. Sokolov

Yes. I tried a ton of configurations, and this was one of the only solutions to allow players to be able to deploy towards the mid font OR the side font from the same deployment zone.

Etherielin and Woffleet like this.
  19. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

when are these maps being applied?

Woffleet likes this.
  20. Lauremoon

Lauremoon I need me some PIE!

Wouldn't Axillium be a bit unfair to player 2 if player 1 drops a Font Defender?

Turn 1: Player 1 deploys at base.
    Turn 2: Player 2 deploys at base.
    Turn 3: Player 1 capture middle font with his/her font defender.
    Turn 4: Player 2 QQs because he can't even capture his/her side font, but player1 can deploy in the middle font next turn.