Nebathex

Discussion in 'Rune Ideas and Suggestions' started by Redderrick, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Redderrick

Redderrick I need me some PIE!

Nebathex
    Champion
    Size: 1x1
    [​IMG]

• DMG: 0
    • SPD: 5
    • RNG: 1
    • DEF: 1
    • HP: 100
    • Race:
    • Class:
    • Base cost: 50
    • Base Abilities:
      • [​IMG] Nebathex This champion has Boss, Shielded and Beacon. At the end of your turn, if this champion is not in play it becomes concealed into your runedock.
    • Upgrades:
      • 1 :
        • [​IMG] Stasis When this champion comes into play, it is Pacified and Immobile for 3 turns. This effect cannot be Cleansed.
      • 2 :
        • [​IMG] Rapid Growth 1 Summon a copy of this champion with no upgrades on target space within 5 spaces. This ability costs 20 nora to activate and begins on CD.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Nebathex Hollow: http://forums.poxnora.com/index.php?threads/nebathex-hollow.28758/

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  2. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

I like the idea, and I think deployment zones is an underexplored resource in the game with a lot of interesting possibilities.

My concern with this is that teleport and low cost means there isn't much investment for a high return (you get a mobile champ + tactical advantage). Plus there are too many other things going on that it needs to be a more streamlined design - but the basic idea I think is sound.

if the speed was even lower, like 2 or 3, and it lost teleport. The HP could then be higher and it would be more of an investment for future returns. A slow moving attack platform rather than a mobile one.

Alternatively it could keep teleport but gain font ignorance (built into it's ability) that way it could function independently of the usual font mechanics -that would be interesting.

I guess there is a lot of different directions you could take it.

3. badgerale

Something like:

Speed: 3, damage 0, hit points 50, def 1 - cost 50 something

[​IMG] Nebathex: This champion has font ignorance, friendly champions that come into play within 3 spaces of this unit also gain font ignorance.
    Beacon
    Teleport 1

Upgrades whatever.

Or simply remove teleport and have it creep along the battlefield.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    Redderrick likes this.
  4. Redderrick

~Bump:
    *New edits.

5. Redderrick

~Bump:
    *New edits.

6. Redderrick

~Bump:
    *New edits.

7. badgerale

Just as some general design guidelines, which I have picked up over the years - which of course you should feel free to ignore but might make your designs more attractive to sok - is that it is better to keep things as focused as possible.

It isn't enough to be balanced, or interesting, or even fun - a rune also needs to be easy to understand. This helps new players who are confronted with thousands of runes, and have to learn what it does very quickly.

With this in mind, try to use:

a) as few abilities as possible to achieve the desired design. Having eight abilities on one champ means it's harder to identify what it does, what to watch out for or any nuances that could catch you out.

b) similarly, try to make any new abilities as simple as possible (both to use and to read) and avoid 'kitchen sink' abilities that are really several abilities in a package.

c) to have as few 'big' abilities as possible. This means that the champ is defined by an ability and it's role is therefore easier to identify.

d) to make the abilities work together towards a design goal.

Consider a champ like pincushion- it has arroweater (defining ability, which is reflected in the art and flavour) and only two others - damage shield (which interacts with the defining ability) and damaging aura. It is therefore easy to understand what it does.

8. Redderrick

Will do