New Client - Cannot see factions of games being played

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Baskitkase, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

I'm not sure is a single person who g's af about which platform you're using, but it's fine if you want that information visible.

But why have you removed faction IDs? Thats the single greatest way for new players to get help playing their faction, to watch other people play their faction via observer, then ask questions/make friends/be social/join guild/make connection/stay playing instead of quit from being lost and isolated.

Please help me understand the reasoning behind not being able to see faction IDs on games in lobby.

Thank you,
    Bakki

Thbigchief, Durand and xaznsoulx like this.
  2. MrBadguy

MrBadguy Guest

They said it was a Sony request for the new client to show who was a PSN or PC player so it took priority over the faction indicator, which was implemented by DaisyDukeNukem like the pack opener IIRC so it's likely it'll take longer to implement as it was not originally in the old client and Daisy may not still be working for DOG.

3. MentalMoles

MentalMoles I need me some PIE!

I would really like some indication of which faction people are playing back on the matches

4. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

DDD, the last greatest thing about Pox.

5. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Color the names to the faction, color the names of PSN blue, PC Green, add a 2nd category that says the faction etc etc. It's doable. We just need a tiny bit of vision and competency.

poxrooster likes this.
  6. Mursumies

Mursumies Devotee of the Blood Owl

I think there are things far more important than this currently to do, and since the dev team is so small i'd put this last on the list.

7. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

It's not like this is some huge undertaking. And it specifically helps new players find other players if their faction and learn how to play.

Dev team has always been small. Cannot use that as a crutch.

maxwell3094 and Durand like this.
  8. Mursumies

Mursumies Devotee of the Blood Owl

And how do you know this, have you actually coded a feature like this for a game? If you have maybe you could give the code to DoG for free? Have you actually coded anything at all?

9. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

I have.

first the game is already querying the database for game information, and was previously setup in such a way to get the faction information so the database should be accommodating for this information.

worst case scenario they need to a slightly more complicated query, they'd need to do a simple join from the database that hold's bg's.

either way nothing complicated by any means so I assume the issue isn't in the back end.

It's more likely that the functionality to display these things simply hasn't been completed in the new client, I assume this because it doesn't have completed functionality to even show the ranks of the players.

I've worked with unity quite a bit, It's actually a very easy to use engine, if the query is coming back from the data base with all the appropriate information it's not difficult to toggle some different icons around in the UI.

all around not a complicated feature, all I can say as to why it's not done is they likely feel they have more important things to address.

Mursumies and Durand like this.
  10. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Sokfanboi McDefenderpants,

Don't wear out your fingers bro. I don't gaf that you don't like my tone/content/ideas/anything else in the entire world. Save the interwebs, don't waste your vitally important posts on me.

11. MrBadguy

MrBadguy Guest

I only heard calisk mention his job once and he said he got paid to review code or something so I guess he does know how to program.

12. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

game developer for quite awhile now, I do mobile apps and web apps.

still do game jams regularly but that's about all my interaction with unity now heh

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    MrBadguy likes this.
  13. Elric

Elric I need me some PIE!

LOL..it's true...he does come to the defense of Poxnora at all times.

Anyhow, I have to agree with ALL of Baskitkase's complaints...they need to fix everything that he mentions!

14. Durand

Durand Active Member

My guess is that there are actually several programmers (or former programmers) among the players, myself included. We tend to like these kind of games.

If the coding is outsourced/contracted (maybe even abroad), even the simplest thing can take time. For example, I could easily code some of the simplest things I would desperately want in the UI in less than an hour myself. I would just add a new Event (might be only one line of code in the best case). What happens when it triggers is already somewhere in the code (in case of UI). Or for example add a new SQL Join clause (which can be modified from the existing ones) in case of database queries like calisk explained. But explaining what we want to someone who doesn't actively play the game (in such a way that its crystal clear) would be actually harder. (I'm talking about the simplest fixes here. Adding something completely new would actually be a lot of work).

If not afraid of showing parts of the code, I believe some diehard fans might actually be willing to do some limited things for free. Give some separate module to some fan you can trust and let him help you.
    (For example, adding the explanations of spells and equipments in the game. I mean, for example, the current explanation of "Scold" spell is "target champion is scolded for 6 turns". Nice, but what does the "scolded" mean, game doesn't say it anywhere. If lucky, people can find it somewhere in the internet. Most equipments are even worse. For example, "Heavy Crossbow" equipment. Current explanation is "equipped champion has heavy crossbow" :)
    This is not a priority, but just an example of something that fans could write, maybe even without programming knowledge. Knowledge of the game is more important in this case).

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  15. poxrooster

poxrooster The Pox Chameleon

Yes, thank you. @Sokolov

16. MrBadguy

MrBadguy Guest

There's a bunch of them, yeah. I can think of about a dozen off the top of my head but there's probably a ton more that have come and gone.