Post-Revamp Sand Theme

Discussion in 'Sundered Lands' started by fattyy2k, Jul 2, 2014.

1. fattyy2k

fattyy2k I need me some PIE!

What is the general opinon on the sand theme post revamp? It is the reason I play Sl and I am trying to decide how good it is (or bad). here is my BG. I am still a rather newish player because even though I have been around since just after the beta, I havent played much the last few years. Help on strategy/deckbuilding/game tips would be great.
    sand.jpg

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  2. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

the dream is dead

BurnPyro likes this.
  3. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

i'd post revamp your sand theme

if you catch my drift

my sand drift

get it

GET IT

fattyy2k likes this.
  4. fattyy2k

buahaha funny Dagda, but I dont want to give this theme up! i loved it back before the revamp and I want to make it work. At least help me understand why it is considered not good.

5. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

what makes a theme?

what makes or ever made sand as a "theme" work, to you?

think about those things, then look at what inside the "sand theme" got changed and how.

to me, sand was never really about doing a full sand deck and more about sandish things supporting nonsandy bros, but there've been enough sandy things for a while to make a few decks that it was whatever

6. MovnTarget

MovnTarget Forum Royalty

Sand was Dune Walker.

Dune Walker was sand.

He cna teleport anything anywhere no longer.

BurnPyro likes this.
  7. Emries

Emries Devotee of the Blood Owl

To me, Sand was Dune Walker + stealth. We still have both with the former toned down a bit ( T___T ). It's also bombs to me but that's just because I liked abusing dune walker mantle with breaths/bombs/angryband

That said, sand is still alright as a them imo :p

8. MovnTarget

MovnTarget Forum Royalty

To be less abstract, Sand as a theme, and any theme with much of any sand element, was largely dependent on the Dunewalker and all the mobility and dramatically increased threat ranges he provided.

The fact that he lost grant: trail sand and went up in cost was a not insubstantial blow.

It also hurts sand that the Imperator lost desert master, making him gain little benefit from sand aside from the fact that he plops it down (I think).

There is also the fact that the most successful deck with a Sand Module Prevamp was Sand/Myx which is hurting both on the Sand and the Myx fronts doesn't help matters.

9. fattyy2k

10. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

Do it. Even if it's for Thaw it's a better choice than Sandspout.

11. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Sandspout is usable if you're doing single player.

12. Schmacko

Schmacko I need me some PIE!

Sand also got hurt since the two best sand ranged units were sandhunter and sandsnipe. One is no longer a ranged unit and the other is incredibly meh outside of beast bgs.

The loss of grant trail sand also makes dunewalker mantle a little less useful since you can't just sand on demand for the dmg bonus.

Manticore and varu dragon are pimp now though.

13. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

What if dune walker:

Path 1 { trail sand, desert walker, sand fall }
    Path 2 { sandstriker, violent, hidden sand }
    Attack: physical
    grant: trail sand
    grant: tunnel sand
    tunnel sand 3
    sand veil
    hp to 40.

14. Schmacko

Schmacko I need me some PIE!

I think leave the upgrades as is. Forcing the choice between sandstriker for dmg and grant: tunnel is fine. He doesn't need to be a beater. I'd just like to see grant: trail on base and possibly either drop his hp to 45ish or remove violent or both to keep his cost the same.

15. fattyy2k

I agree on dunwwalker. I have always seen him as support anyways, not meant to be the main beatstick. And i cant decide if i want to takeout sandlion for manticor. I might try it for a bit and see the difference.

16. fattyy2k

so with the changes to prices what do you think is better on sand lord? trail sand? or desert walker?

17. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

I'd trail it for the 79 version. It's decent.

If you have a critical mass of spray champs, you won't even notice you lost Walker.

Also, Desert Walker is not worth 12 nora. That is all.

18. fattyy2k

And thats what i Was leaning towards as it drastically increases his availability.

19. Centuros

Centuros Active Member

Wow, what they did to the sandsnipe...
    It's like they gave up on balancing a ranged stealth altogether (good idea), and decided to completely reverse the direction of the rune (not so good IMO).

20. fattyy2k