Preview: Player Made Expansion Sketches 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

2. TeaNinja

TeaNinja I need me some PIE!

Looks nice!

3. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

Awesome! Thank you for sharing!

4. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

Seems like every faction is getting one of these annoying distract champs.

5. GoldTiger

GoldTiger I need me some PIE!

And personally I don't like it. Defeaning aura + evasive very good design

6. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

i agree, deafening aura can go Firk itself

7. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

Okay this is great and all, cool designs - but previews can only keep you going for so long sok. Gimme something to play with :(

jeeperz2 likes this.
  8. Tweek516

And I hope you're nerfing woodfae collector from its original design :p

9. Ralphen

Ralphen I need me some PIE!

I was expecting something more... creeping... blob-like... :p

Looking forwand for the final design and art.

10. Bondman007

Bondman007 I need me some PIE!

The Frostwings will be just like all the other Frostwings... not too excited there. Can these two not have like ice axes or lightning spear to give them alt damage? Pretty much all Frostwings are physical.
    BTW, since when was "Frostwings" a theme anyways?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  11. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Since people have no idea what direction to take ST.

Braxzee and Bondman007 like this.
  12. Braxzee

Braxzee I need me some PIE!

I am at a loss with these champs as well. These champs are pretty lame, boring, not functional in ST, no theme involved other than the name matches other frost wings, do not support a race, class, frost themes, or ST terrain. They have some relocation effects, but ferren are the masters of relocation, and you can just use spell swap. Juya really does not need another honor guard champ. She has 4 all ready. Gale Force on these guys would have been nice and on target for ST. Scrapping them would be the best option.

13. Sokolov

It is going to be Ice Axes and Lightning Spear... I mean.. I thought that would be obvious given the way I changed the names, lol

There were extremely limited options in regards to what players suggested for ST - I picked what I thought I could do the most interesting things with.

Generally speaking, keep in mind that the plan was never to implement these runes exactly as the players have designed them - but for these to guide/influence the direction of the design. Of course, if something is particularly well designed, I will use them as is, but the plan was always that it'd have my touch on them.

As for Frostwings being a theme, I don't really consider them to be one - it's more of a sub-racial group in ST, similar to how the Hekatian work in UD (they may share similarities in design, but they are not explicitly being pushed as a stand alone theme, they'd be part of the "Bleed" theme if anything) - I am not sure where that question comes from. Are we under the impression that every champion released should be part of a racial theme?

That said, I do think flyers is a developing cross-faction theme so Frostwings kind of all under the greater umbrella of that.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  14. Sokolov

What do these 2 sentences mean?

15. Sokolov

Anyway, since people are getting so hung up on what is written in the original thread and I am not ready to share the final designs yet, I am no longer going to do these for now.

My hope was to get people excited about the art process, not to bum people out because they didn't like the designs people did in the thread.

EDIT:

Actually, I changed my mind. That's the wrong attitude. Go ahead and comment on the designs - if I don't know why you don't like it, I will have less information with which to finalize those designs. For example, the suggestion of "electric spear" and "ice axes" fitting exactly what I had planned is helpful to know since it means I am on the right track there.

After all , it is the PLAYER MADE expansion, so your input SHOULD be solicited. Just be constructive about it and don't sound so defeatist, it bums ME out ;)

Qucas, Whiris, Kampel and 1 other person like this.
  16. Tweek516

NOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

17. Sokolov

See my edit :)

Kampel likes this.
  18. Tweek516

Omg yay. :D

And for the record, super super hyped for thus expansion like you would not believe. And art looks really cool so far.

19. Bondman007

Bondman007 I need me some PIE!

Well, I suppose you could take that route, but I was just saying if (especially for the Frostwing runes) that if they were just flyers with physical beat sticks they don't particularly bring anything to the faction, theme, or game really. I was merely suggesting perhaps they could bring at least an alt damage in the form of their magically (or frost, lightning, fire) infused weapons. That's all.

EDIT: Just saw your edit. LOL Yeah, thats all I meant was just just spice 'em up a bit. I mean just having some mobile Frostwings with physical attacks is basically a mimic of the last Frostwing legendary that was released and has basically seen no play (correct me if I am wrong).
    Your on the right track, man. Amazing I actually used the correct alt damage you were thinking for each really. lol I actually didn't really notice the name changes. Wow. Kinda scary really.

20. Sokolov

Yep, that was my thought too regarding the physical vs non-physical - though truth be told, that's less of a Frostwing thing and more of a general Pox thing. We have been diversifying damage types for awhile now and I try and fit in non-Physical damage where it feels like it'd make sense.

As for the Frostwings other attributes, my current "penciled in" idea for them involve pushing them a bit towards flyer synergy and some kind of CC-type abilities or gap closers. One interesting thing with regard to Ferren is that their relocation-synergy effects actually trigger off RELOCATES not "Monks/Ferren Relocating" so there's some mechanical synergy going on there that could potentially use non-Ferren runes in some cases. Personally, I think this type of thing is exciting for future deckbuilding, etc.

Etherielin and Bondman007 like this.