Preview: Player Made Expansion Sketches 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Bondman007

Bondman007 I need me some PIE!

See my edit, please :)

Sokolov likes this.
  2. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I SEE YOUR EDIT AND RAISE YOU!

Qucas, Etherielin and Bondman007 like this.
  3. Braxzee

Braxzee I need me some PIE!

Having the ability Gale on them would lean them towards being a bit more ST like. These new champs feel like they are Kanen with wings.

I am not a fan of throwing abilities from other factions to ST just to have the ability as an option in the faction. All factions should have some autonomy along with certain races. Like what you did with the Ferren.
    Abilities like Illuminate should stay out of ST as should call of the hunter, however thinking on it further Call of the hunter would actually be a fit for the Lonx if the ability was introduced into ST (At least I do not think ST has it yet).

I am glad you are putting your mark on it, and I am surprised no other ideas came out.

Bondman007 likes this.
  4. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

Its almost Friday again so time for New sketches! :D

5. Bondman007

Bondman007 I need me some PIE!

Actually, the more I think about this, the more I actually like it. The gale ability is pretty powerful, but I can imagine the Frostwings building around high mobilization in and amongst themselves PLUS perhaps the ability to push/pull the enemy towards them perhaps via gale, pull, dragging attack. That could actally be pretty interesting and perhaps the Frostwings could have a "theme mechanic" like the strigs (to make their abilities work better when using more Frostwings or Jakeis, or even ST units in general [Ferrens, etc]) to keep their abilities and runes out of pure meta BG's somewhat.

Like perhaps, "Collective Force" activated ability; If three Frostwings are within 3 spaces of each other, then they can create a Gale Force (same as spell) effect within 5 spaces of the unit activating the ability, then all of them have the collective force ability go on CD. Anyways, that's fairly complicated but I think you get my gist.

Braxzee likes this.
  6. Braxzee

This would work well with a crystal bg that needs a Jakei.

7. NevrGonaGivUup

NevrGonaGivUup I need me some PIE!

The gale ability isn't that good. It costs 4 ap, has a 4 turn cooldown, and is a 12 nora ability. Ideally it does 10 damage to a couple champions in the area of effect. It's a more expensive, situational bomb/cone that can double as a pseudo-mobility or gap closer ability.

That being said, it would be good on a more passive champion like Dawnmist.

Braxzee likes this.
  8. Braxzee

Or even crystal elementals

9. Sokolov

The thing you have to remember is that it is an AE relocation ability that can both pull enemies into range, knock enemies out of range of counter attacks, AND deal knockback damage. Usually not all 3 at once, but it has a high potential in theory. Keep in mind that people will spend the nora to cast Gale Force or Swap just to move a champion a few spaces in some scenarios.

Braxzee likes this.
  10. Braxzee

Yes Gale is awesome! Love to see it on a Jakei :D

11. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

gale is not gale force, the reduced aoe is everything.

the utility you can pull off with gale is far smaller from my experience with it, and the cost/cd is incredibly restrictive. I honestly would rather just have a decent champ with relocate, beckon, detect, shatter, or any other useful staple ability on a nice body to a high cost unit with gale.

I think it should of always been an st ability though, almost useful abilities are a staple in st, as are hand me downs from other factions.

Braxzee likes this.
  12. Braxzee

We do get a lot of hand me down abilities. That is what I am most against with these two new champs. Again they feel like flying Kanen. I would rather have over cost ST style abilities than more hand me downs. In the future those abilities may get adjusted in cost.

13. Sokolov

Each ability originates in one faction for the most part, so on average 7 out of 8 abilities will be "hand me downs." If this is a concern to you, I don't have a solution for you other than to change your perspective.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
    TeaNinja, JellyBerry, Kampel and 2 others like this.
  14. Sokolov

I don't understand what a player made expansion with no new abilities has to do with "ST style abilities than more hand me downs." Especially when said expansion instructed players NOT to make new abilities.

TeaNinja, JellyBerry and Tweek516 like this.
  15. Sokolov

Let's look at the new abilities ST has gotten recently that, IMO, are not "hand me downs:"

Healing Wind
    Fury of A Thousand Strikes (shared with FS)
    Ranged/Frost Stance (shared with FS)
    Slayer's Spear
    Grip of the Icelord
    Frostvine Snare
    Portal Dancer
    Portal Watcher

During the same time frame, FS got these new abilities:

Sabotage: Armor (shared with someone else)
    Elemental Storm: Poison (Poison version of an ST ability)
    Salvage Equipment
    Fury of A Thousand Strikes (shared with FS)
    Ranged/Frost Stance (shared with FS)
    Summon: Watershed Anchor
    Mind Siphon
    Salaman Ingenuity: Evasive

Maybe you like FS (or whoever's) new abilities better, but it's not as though I am sitting around thinking up new abilities for every faction, then get to ST and go, "ok, how can I avoid giving ST any new abilities?"

That said, I do pay attention to the various forums so if people post ability suggestions (or feedback on new abilities, I am watching that stuff).

16. calisk

faction hand me downs have never been a concern for me, to be honest their was time were I and many others were begging to get a heal champion in st which wasn't traditionally flavorful for us, of course at that time it was shaman who had cleanse which was an IS ability that we got. Now it is rare to see a unit in ST that doesn't punch things in the face

anyway strig gale rider or blizzard elemental had gale for awhile, we never used it, I did try though on which ever of those two had it

17. Sokolov

Planar Disturbances

Dawnmist - Wandering/Homing Sense/FB
    Ferren Runner - Stealth unit with Bubble
    Lonx Wanderer - Ranged Lonx with Healing on Attacks
    Frostfall Furbull - Bites things in the face with frosty fangs?

Spirits Beyond
    Monk-themed expansion, so lots of punching in the face, but also additional mechanics.

Lonx Howler - Preparation Lonx with Hostile, punches things in the face hard at range every so often
    Frostwing Slayer - Agile flyer with multiple relocation abilities, one even allows allies to relocate
    The Silent Master - Monk/Ferren enabler with an AE attack chain/CD reset ability on attack
    Swift Current - AE AP/Movement on attack
    Fracturing Boulder - Melee Monk that can become a ranged champion at will
    Leaf on the Wind, Calm as Raging Tides, Chilling Scale - Face puncher types

Visions of Amareth
    Crystal Slag - Ranged Crystal champion with Soultap Lumi
    Lonx Icelord - Tanky Face Puncher with CC
    Twisted Frostvine - Weird Teleporty champ with CC/passive damage
    Wingmaster Cleric - Flying Healer/Support
    Yetihound - Cheap CC Face Puncher

JellyBerry likes this.
  18. calisk

god that list just remind me how much i'm sick of melee beater themes....monks, ferrens, flying, yetis, lonx, even jakei the traditionally glass cannon race is nothing but melee beaters.

btw I know every deck for faction is a melee beater theme i'm not saying for some reason st should be the exclusion, it's just the era we live in I guess.

19. Sokolov

I feel like what I showed was that the idea that "
    Now it is rare to see a unit in ST that doesn't punch things in the face" is factually false, and there are plenty of things that aren't melee beaters, even when there was an expansion focused on monks.

The ones marked in red are certainly not melee beaters. The ones marked in yellow have significant roles/playstyle implications outside of directly punching face in melee range (even if their basic attacks are melee.

Planar Disturbances
    Dawnmist - Wandering/Homing Sense/FB
    Ferren Runner - Stealth unit with Bubble
    Lonx Wanderer - Ranged Lonx with Healing on Attacks

Frostfall Furbull - Bites things in the face with frosty fangs?

Spirits Beyond
    Monk-themed expansion, so lots of punching in the face, but also additional mechanics.

Lonx Howler - Preparation Lonx with Hostile, punches things in the face hard at range every so often
    Frostwing Slayer - Agile flyer with multiple relocation abilities, one even allows allies to relocate
    The Silent Master - Monk/Ferren enabler with an AE attack chain/CD reset ability on attack
    Swift Current - AE AP/Movement on attack
    Fracturing Boulder - Melee Monk that can become a ranged champion at will

Leaf on the Wind, Calm as Raging Tides, Chilling Scale - Face puncher types

Visions of Amareth
    Crystal Slag - Ranged Crystal champion with Soultap Lumi
    Lonx Icelord - Tanky Face Puncher with CC
    Twisted Frostvine - Weird Teleporty champ with CC/passive damage
    Wingmaster Cleric - Flying Healer/Support

Yetihound - Cheap CC Face Puncher

Also, I don't think every deck is a melee beater theme - so I don't know what you are saying really. But maybe you think any deck that doesn't play 15 ranged champs is a melee beater deck.

JellyBerry and Tweek516 like this.
  20. calisk

a rune doesn't change a theme on it's own nor is their a shortage of variety on the way things are melee beaters. I mean you have the full rainbow of beaters.

I also understand why melee beaters take up the majority of the game, I've watched the game evolve from what it was to what it is, I understand the choices that were made to both reduce the reliance on ranged tactics, to slowing down the font push tactics, and cones were removed